Video ideas to serve the community

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I want to make some short (around or under 10 minute) videos to serve the turning community and help with commonly asked questions...

So, what are some areas that you feel like we're constantly asked about by newer or growing pen turners that it would be nice to have a simple video to point them to? Maybe something better shown than explained in type...

At this point, I only want to do things (on video) that I feel very confident in. I do some stabilizing, casting, and very little segmenting so these are areas I don't want to cover at this time.

Also, if there is already an good and succinct video out there on a topic, I don't need to re-cover it. Unless, the video is way too long. Some decent videos have the whole process in one video. Or if the method is substantially different from what I do.

In our library here, there are links to some video series on youtube. Maybe if you have a few minutes, take a look there and see what some of the holes are.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Dan I think pen kit reviews or more obscure product reviews are always good. Maybe if you have jigs you've built those are helpful videos. A video on the cheese boards would be cool, I bought some and waiting on the wife's approval of those as Christmas gifts this year or one of the other options. But keep doing them, the length and info in them is good for sure.

jttheclockman

Use of tools and set up of tools is always popular. Kit reviews are one sided and I really don't think it needs a video. If you made any special jigs that would work.

Herb G

I'd like to see some vids of turning plastics. Like acrylics, Alumilite, etc.

I have seen some vids online, but they are rather vague.

Just a thought.:)

CREID

I would like to see you demonstrate (if you feel comfortable using one) the Dreaded Skew. And, I enjoy watching woodturning videos, so I would like to see you do some vidoes on your favorite things to make.

Skie_M

"How Can I Get Started in Turning My First Pen for Under 500 dollars?"

If you could field that one, you'll have a few million happy viewers! :)

Also I'm wondering about reviews. We don't see a lot of review videos of new and different kits of products. Would that be of interest?

Allen Tyler, a local turner here in East Tennessee, did some reviews on YouTube... they seemed to have been well received. If you don't have a lot of costs in them, why not give it a go.

You can look up Allen on YouTube... https://www.youtube.com/user/pojotyler

Haven't seen anything new from him lately, I know his job had gotten very busy, plus he was moving and had a relatively young child... not sure if he's even still turning.

Last edited:

edicehouse

Become a Millionaire pen turner, you just have to start as a multimillionaire.
101 ways to ask how much do you charge for your pens.

All joking aside, how about a Q&A sort of thing.
Post a thread where ever, and have newbies submit questions, and discuss them.

TonyL

Not only using a skew or carbide cutter, but proper body position, arm orientation/positioning, tool height, etc, push and draw cuts.....

SteveG

"How Can I Get Started in Turning My First Pen for Under 500 dollars?"

If you could field that one, you'll have a few million happy viewers!
:)

I did that. Way under. Have to get lucky on finding a used lathe for a good price though. :)

There is your theme:
"What to look for in a first lathe for the new pen turner...new/used, quality, size, VS, price, etc...."

eranox

I would like comparison videos. Comparing finishes, comparing materials, comparing tools. Anything by itself doesn't hold much value until it's compared to something else.

A strong +1 for the finish comparison videos. I think a useful section in that video would be durability and water/oil resistance of the various finishes. Getting a great finish does no good if it doesn't hold up.

CA finishing should be a video of its own. I could watch 100 more CA finishing videos, and learn 105 new things. A section on how to treat then ends of the barrels (to prevent the CA from peeling off) would be helpful.

How about a video for sourcing wood and other materials? I get some great stuff from the dump and from local tree removal guys. That would help new turners keep their costs down.

CREID

You know Dan. Any video you do will be a tutorial. The best videos I have seen are the ones where people not only know how to do the project inside and out, but also is a project they have a passion for doing. We will greatly appreciate any video (well, just about any video:biggrin:) you are willing to take your time, effort, and your special techniques to do for us.

Curly

A lot of new pen turners have out of round issues but don't know how to troubleshoot their lathe alignment. A video showing the methods of checking and then correcting their machine would go a long way to helping them drill and turn any object, not just pens.

Top Bottom