video help wanted, please shrink

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, I succeeded in making a 5 minute video and have it in .avi format.

It was done on Vegas 10-Pro (very definitely a misnomer, when I am working with it).

Started to upload to YouTube and it's taking forever, so I thought I'd put it on a thumb drive and watch the finished vid on a different computer. 8gig thumb drive---NOT BIG ENOUGH!!! Turns out the video is 34 GIGabytes.

Is there a program that will reduce this one? And do you have any idea WHY it's so big? What did I set to "make a monster"??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

What is your resolution and framerate?

Do you know what your video format is? An *.avi is really just a container for a video track and an audio track. Avi is really open as far ass what kind of video encoding you can use.

*edit* as far as how to shrink it, I use handbrake for my video compression. It is free, simple, and effective.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
What is your resolution and framerate?

Do you know what your video format is? An *.avi is really just a container for a video track and an audio track. Avi is really open as far ass what kind of video encoding you can use.

*edit* as far as how to shrink it, I use handbrake for my video compression. It is free, simple, and effective.

SOLD!!!

I will go search---Thanks!!

Eyeshooter

Sorenson Squeeze is a fantastic program for video compression. AVI is a format that is not used very often anymore as there are better formats (.wmv. .mp4). You should be somewhere in the 640x480 output res or even a bit smaller for YouTube. The file should be in the 100mb ball park.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, plan B seems to have worked---Went back to vegas, loaded the 34 gig piece as a project, watched it to be sure it was still "all there", then asked Vegas to upload to YouTube. Vegas took about ten minutes and reported that it was "up".

Don't see it on YouTube, yet, but I feel pretty confident that it WILL show up soon.

As soon as it is visible, I will start making the next one----"Trimming" the blank.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Well, Ed - thats DEFINATELY a different output format from Vegas! Good for you... I will still get you how to do better output formats from Vegas in case you want to put it somewhere other than youtube.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As you know Dean, I am happy to be told how!!

But I am not patient--so, "Always have a plan B, then a Plan B prime, plan B prime squared, etc".

Top Bottom