Value subtracted?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Shortly after the thread about what is "Value added?" began, I started pondering what devalues a pen? I think it is difficult to determine the value added without considering what takes away too.

Since all kit pens presumably start out equal, as parts, and then we add the blank and our efforts to complete it. What do we do that will devalue that pen? Workmanship, salesmanship, presentation, under or over pricing? What makes one pen sit while the others around it get picked up?

What do you think?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Shortly after the thread about what is "Value added?" began, I started pondering what devalues a pen? I think it is difficult to determine the value added without considering what takes away too.

Since all kit pens presumably start out equal, as parts, and then we add the blank and our efforts to complete it. What do we do that will devalue that pen? Workmanship, salesmanship, presentation, under or over pricing? What makes one pen sit while the others around it get picked up?

What do you think?

Besides the usual poor craftsmanship, hard salesmanship. poor presentation. and high or low pricing, lies P.T. Barnum's rule of thumb ," You can please all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time". If everyone liked the same thing, life would be so easy, but very dull !! Jim S

jttheclockman

Pete as with Smitty's post I think you both already knew the answer and there will be no surprises. You mentioned a bunch of them right off the top. To add to the list if you are keeping score. Venue, finish, ebay, refills, the guy next to you at the same show, to name a few more.

Again the word Value and Price being used as the same word gets me on the wrong tract of thinking but that is what you guys want. :)

Now if you are asking what can devalue a blank and that will also have to include the kit chosen. Put one of those ugly PSI gaudy kits on a nice segmented blank and to me the value drops tremendously.

Last edited:

avbill

You can expand on the owner/seller.. very easily. What you says.... how you dress... How interested you are in helping the client...I probably left out 5-6 others that will devalue your product and I haven't talked about the pen yet.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

What do you think?

Besides the usual poor craftsmanship, hard salesmanship. poor presentation. and high or low pricing, lies P.T. Barnum's rule of thumb ," You can please all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time". If everyone liked the same thing, life would be so easy, but very dull !! Jim S
That quote slightly different with the word "fool" instead of "please" is more often atributed to Abe Lincoln. Truth is that it can't be proved that either of them ever said it. Some atribute it to a 14th century monk/poet named John Lydgate but I couldn't find any proof that he said it either.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

What do you think?

Break it.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I wouldguess that once a pen is completed correctly it will always be worth more than the cost of the components.

But, take exactly the same pen and put it in the hands of 5 different sellers in 5 different venues and you will probably see 5 different prices. That indicates that what is being sold is not just the pen. But is the pen devalued in the lower priced venues or over valued in the higher priced venues.

Many turners here state that they won't sell in local craft shows because their pens are priced too high and won't sell at them. Others sell only in local craft shows because that's what they like to do even if they sell at a lower price.

My position is that once the pen is completed (while is a few extreme cases workmanship can be so bad it might reduce the value added when building the pen) and Marketing begins, it is a whole new ball game with the intrinsic value of the pen being only one of many factors in determining the selling price with venue and reputation of the seller (within that venue) being at least as important as the pen itself.

Because reputation is so key to their success, I think most of the higher priced people have to choose their venues very carefully. I say that because outside their chosen venue I think the prices they get will go down substantually. A person who sells a pen for $500 at a specific venue is unlikely to get that price at a local Boutique.

Curly

I can say that once I devalued an entire display of pens and it was only because I was honest. A lady was all excited about what she was seeing and was picking up a pen to buy. She asked "What kind of wood is it?" I told her I didn't know because it came from a pallet out of South America. Her mouth dropped :eek: and she put the pen back on the table, turned and left. I guess the thought of a pen made of salvaged wood meant the pen was worthless and she was having none of it. Never tell a buyer the pen they love is made from scrap of some sort. :roll eyes: Poor salesmanship for sure. :wink:

Thanks for your thoughts.

Janster

..Engage the customer and just talk about your love for creating one of a kind writing implements. They will see your enthusiasm and too will become excited. It works well for me. Too, my "Bride" always brings up the fact that we employ a lot of recycled materials and people like that and we DO use a lot of waste material from various sources. They seem intrigued what I can use to make pens from. Use whatever it takes to draw them into a conversation, it'll pay off. Your interest in them will add value too! I guess this should have been posted in the "What adds value post?" Be well.......Jan

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
..Engage the customer and just talk about your love for creating one of a kind writing implements. They will see your enthusiasm and too will become excited. It works well for me. Too, my "Bride" always brings up the fact that we employ a lot of recycled materials and people like that and we DO use a lot of waste material from various sources. They seem intrigued what I can use to make pens from. Use whatever it takes to draw them into a conversation, it'll pay off. Your interest in them will add value too! I guess this should have been posted in the "What add value post?" Be well.......Jan
Well Jan, I would say that you are getting the benefit of selling yourself...Which is one tried and true marketing method, for those who can do it.

Carl Fisher

Enthusiasm is a huge part of selling any craft. If you don't show excitement for what you do, neither will the customer. So that's an instant "devaluation" of your product.

I've said this before and I still believe it's true. As an artisan/craftsman you are selling yourself more so than your product and that's where you build your value.

Top Bottom