Valentine's Day Disaster

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

So, I decided to treat my wife to a home cooked meal for Valentine's Day.
I had some beautiful rib eye steaks here, and some pre-packaged blackened salmon. I cooked some nice Russet potatoes, and made fresh spinach.

My original plan was to cook the steaks on the grill, but it was raining here. So, under the oven broiler the steaks went.
5 minutes on each side, perfect medium rare. Or so I thought.

I took my wife's steak out when it was ready, but I cooked mine some more.
Long story short, it caught fire and almost burned the house down.
Good thing I left it in the oven until it smothered itself out.:eek:

Oh well, a smokey house was the burden I had to bear. At least nobody got hurt, and the house didn't burn down.

:redface:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Using the smoke alarm as a timer is not the way to cook anything.:rolleyes:

Cooking hint; Take the wife's steak out of the oven and then to cook yours more.....place it back in the oven. THEN TURN THE OVEN OFF. :confused: .....it will continue to cook in the hot oven. :eek:

At least you tried to cook for her. Next time take her out and forget the smoking of the house.:biggrin:

More4dan

I had a friend do something similar but for the first meal he cooked for his new bride. He's never had to cook again. Let that be a lesson to the young single folks out there. There is no second chance to make a first impression.

larryc

I had a friend do something similar but for the first meal he cooked for his new bride. He's never had to cook again. Let that be a lesson to the young single folks out there. There is no second chance to make a first impression.

I accomplished the same results the first time she asked me to wash dishes. I broke so many she never asked me again.

whickman

So, I decided to treat my wife to a home cooked meal for Valentine's Day.
I had some beautiful rib eye steaks here, and some pre-packaged blackened salmon. I cooked some nice Russet potatoes, and made fresh spinach.

My original plan was to cook the steaks on the grill, but it was raining here. So, under the oven broiler the steaks went.
5 minutes on each side, perfect medium rare. Or so I thought.

I took my wife's steak out when it was ready, but I cooked mine some more.
Long story short, it caught fire and almost burned the house down.
Good thing I left it in the oven until it smothered itself out.:eek:

Oh well, a smokey house was the burden I had to bear. At least nobody got hurt, and the house didn't burn down.

:redface:

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Rachgard

Here ya go: https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker

Now... If you try to burn it on the searing step well... Lots of places deliver ;)

Edit: I just picked up on the really horrifying part of this story. You left your steak in to get more done?! What kind of horrible person does that to a poor steak?

A friend bought me one of these and I haven't tried it. She's not a very good cook, so I just thought, meh! Is this thing any good?

A friend bought me one of these and I haven't tried it. She's not a very good cook, so I just thought, meh! Is this thing any good?

They are absolutely fantastic! I turned my nose up at them at first but a buddy of mine that is an excellent cook convinced me to try it. Perfectly cooked steak every single time. Plenty of other uses too.

Top Bottom