VA Beach/Norfolk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

My wife and I will be visiting the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area next weekend (Oct 29 and 30), and she's a little concerned that there won't be much to do there this time of year. I have tried to assure her that, based on my visit to Norfolk in February a few years ago, there are some neat things to see and places to eat in Norfolk (she's almost 7 months pregnant) even in the dead of winter. I'd like to get some recommendations, though, in case she doesn't quite feel up for the spending too much time in Norfolk itself (our hotel is just off the ocean in VA Beach). Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodnknots

Let's see, she's pregnant, huh?? Well, there's a Burger King on the corner of First View and Ocean View in Norfolk...
Just kidding. What kind of eats do you like? My favorite all-time restaraunt is a sushi place in Hampton called Soya. Best Sushi around, if you ask me.

Doghouse

What kind of food do you want? Dave, you want to smoke some up for him?[:D] (inside joke)
I know quite a few of the smaller local places around there. Jimmy's for example. Located under the Lesner bridge at Lynhaven inlet. Not the best looking place but has fantastic greek/italian food.

Just south of the bridge, take a right twords bubba's bait shop, and there is a Chix resturant there. Good seafood at a reasonable price.

If you like museams, go over the bridge past Rudy inlet and the aquarium / marine science museam is right there. Lynhaven mall is just up the road with a good mix of food and shopping.

Just a matter of what you want. Heck if you want, we could do a coffee meet of penturners. (Unless I have received my boat by then

If you like lobster or steamed shrimp, Thursdays at Rockefellows in VA Beach under the bridge at Rudee's Inlet has the best. IMHO. Last year was 2 - 1lb lobsters or 1 lobster & 1lb of steamed shrimp for $20. Weather should still be nice for the ocean front walk. If weather is nice American Rover Tall Ship Cruise or Carrie B in Norfolk. Try this link for Norfolk http://www.norfolkcvb.com/home.cfm The area is one of my favorites and much to do depending on weather. Hope you and the Mrs have a great time. BTW I think we have several IAP folks in that area plus some Sawmillcreek folks.

lkorn

Jim, The finest restaurant in the area is "Steinhilbers" bar none. Its hard to find, but worth the trouble. If you get there, check out the floor. Its Austrailian Oak, imported especially for the building at construction. Phenomenal view of the bay.

JimGo

WOW, thanks for all the leads guys! I was at Kincaid's when I was in Norfolk a few years and really liked the food, but now I'm tempted to try some of these other places too! Gotta stay away from sushi for now...it's one of her favorite foods, but she's not supposed to eat it.

I'd love to get together, but I gotta float that past her...she's met Michael, James, and Lou, and now she's not quite so sure about the kind of people that get into pen turning! (kidding)

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I agree with lkorn - at least in part.
Actually, its "steinholbers". They do have _the_ best food in town - 'bar none'.
Wife and I were there last weekend for a party, all the food can imagine - from oysters and clams on the half shell, shrimp prepared so many ways I would start to sound Forrest Gump, MahiMahi, kalmari, and the list goes on to chicken, chops, etc etc etc...well worth the visit...and its not really that hard to find.
If you are coming down VaBeach Blvd from the Ocean front, make a right when you see WillisWayside, that should be Thalia Road, just follow that till it ends...if you go past it, you will be in the ChesapeakeBay.

For site seeing, there is Chrysler Museum in Norfolk, Nauticus Museum in Norfolk, Marine Science museum on GeorgeWashington Hwy at the beachfront, Air and Space Museum just across the bridge in Hampton...and if you feel like drive just a little ways, there is always Williamsburg, and Yorktown, and all the battlefields there.

Course, there's always the submarines to watch at the Naval base

[:)]

JimGo

There was one place in the middle of Norfolk, about a block from the mall with Kincaid's, but I didn't think the Q was all that good.

John, I meant to mention that if Dave wants to cook some barbecue for us, we won't object! [:D]

Doghouse

The best Q is at my house! Why go out when you can do it better at home. If you want to do a coffee meet I think we all could arange some time on the weekend.

Rockafellers is a great suggestion, but don't forget "one fish two fish" on lynhaven inlet. Fancy, but fantastic, besides you can drool over all the cool boats.

lkorn

Originally posted by penhead
<br />I agree with lkorn - at least in part.
Actually, its "steinholbers". They do have _the_ best food in town - 'bar none'.

200510211359_Steinhilbers.jpg
<br />

Don't mater howe u spel it, still got the best fude in towne[}:)]

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
http://yellowpages.superpages.com/listings.jsp?C=restaurant&OO=0&R=A&PP=L&MC=1&STYPE=S&F=1&L=Virginia+Beach+VA&CP=Food+%26+Dining%5ERestaurants%5E&paging=1&PI=823

Steinholber's Thalia Acres Inn
653 Thalia Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23452
map | driving directions
phone: (757) 340-1156

Products & Services:
Food, Drinks, Soups & Salads, Meats, Vegetables, Fruits

Specialties:
Seafood,Takeout

Additional Information:
Famous Backfin Crab Cakes, Classic Shrimp Cocktail, She Crab Soup, Lobster Bisque, Seafood Chowder, with backfin crab, with shrimp or oysters, with fresh dill sauce, blackened, with backfin crab, with shrimp or oysters, Steiny's Jumbo Grilled Shrimp, Jumbo Lobster Tail, Half Jumbo Lobster Tail, Crab Imperial, Fried Oysters, Steiny's Famous Crab Cake, Jeanne's Chocolate Delight, Pop's Pecan Pie, Jeanne's Key Lime Delight, Amazing Chocolate Sundae

Appears in the Category:
Restaurants

lkorn

Right now, I'm visiting family in Texas. Give me a jingle when you plan your next excursion and we can read the sign together.

Originally posted by penhead
<br />Well, looks like its a night out for dinner soon...and next time...I'm gonna look at the sign _before_ the wine [:)][:)]

JimGo

John,
It's next weekend, not tonight/tomorrow. Coffee, dinner, whatever would be great! Larry, sorry I'll miss you; enjoy your time in Texas. I'm sure you'll make a great emisary for the VA continent of IAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom