UV Protected?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I just viewed an email ad video by Aaron Lau promoting his products. He stated that every pen he offers is finished to be chemical resistant and UV Protected, claiming this will be prevent fading or color change for the koa wood. The UV thing sounds like a nice selling point.

Does anyone know of a suitable UV-Resist finish that can be used for a pen finish? My search attempt yielded some years-old threads, but I did not see anything useful.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
A lot of people use a two-part (catalyzed) automotive clear-coat for exterior wood projects. I believe it's a urethane and has UV filtering and remains flexible. It should withstand anything a pen would come in contact with.
The more solids it has, the faster it will build. It also comes in several finishes to give just the right sheen a customer might want. Once a couple of coats are applied, it can be sanded and buffed just as any other finish to ensure a glass smooth surface.

I don't see why it wouldn't be suitable for pens.

carlmorrell

I have had great success with General Finishes High Performance on furniture. One piece is a kitchen table I made with rosewood veneer. It faded pretty quick, so I refinished with the HP gets a lot of sunlight and after more than 10 years no fading.

However, I have never used it on a pen.

SteveG

I am really appreciating the responses, but I realize I need to be more specific by asking if anyone has found and used a suitable UV Protection finish on their wooden pens. For example, Terredax mentioned a finish that many people use for exterior wood projects (thanks John). I am hoping to hear from someone who has used this or other UV finish, and has had satisfactory results with their pens. Many elements go into what would be rated as "success", including how well the particular finish performed under actual use, over time, on a pen that is used regularly. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated! :)

Wildman

I would not worry about UV protection on a pen or pencil although you can find clear wood finishes claiming to provide that protection. Most of those product meant survive outside in the weather and require periodic recoating every so often.

Automotive products expensive to buy and shelf life could be questionable once opened. Those product meant to sprayed on so need equipment for that and may need other products to get a good coat.

Have to ask yourself where do most pens and pencils live out their lives? You know some woods will darken or lighten with age. Do you want an absolute clear finish or can you live with an amber hue from a finish. Finishing wood all about compromises some of your interior/exterior product will serve you well like this one; but there are others as well without the expense of auto finishes.

https://www.minwax.com/wood-product...terior-exterior/minwax-helmsman-spar-urethane

leehljp

Member Liaison
Cherry wood will change even when an inside environment. Sounds like a lot of hype to me.

When kept in a pocket or purse or inside, UV is less likely to be involved. However, in reading posts here over the years and for people who use displays to sell pens, or for desk pens on display with many woods, (and even in normal use woods) UV plays a big factor in the color shifts over weeks and months.

It is not hype. An acquaintance in another country naively set up displays in a store with lots of windows and natural sunlight coming it. It didn't take long to realize the problems associated with natural sunlight over the course of a few months.

SteveG

Back when I was building custom furniture, I had constructed a truly magnificent Armoire that was a multipurpose unit. it was situated on an open great room. The piece made a grand statement, but sadly being situated between two sliding glass doors, was attacked each day by the subtropical sun coming in through those windows. I was back on a service call about six months later, and the deterioration of the finish was appalling! This unit NEEDED a UV finish!

Back to the pen finish. I tend to agree...a UV finish on wood pens is probably more hype than practical reality. i would not want to be perhaps facing warranty expectations for customers, especially when color changes in many woods (Koa included) will probably happen even if the pen were finished in a "UV" type finish. For example, I have seen Koa loose some of its rich coloration over time, even though it had very little UV exposure.

Thanks for the responses.

Terredax

Banned
Actually, the automotive clear isn't that expensive and there isn't any need for equipment to spray it. It comes in matte and gloss and is a one can product. It is also a catalyzed clear for durability. If one only wants to do one pen at a time, this product could be costly, but if one had several pens ready for finish, this product would work well. It has a 48hr to 72hr pot life once mixed.
It's on sale right now and a 10% discount can be acquired by signing up for email.

It can be found here... Eastwood's 2K AeroSpray

Wildman

Hank, surprised to hear CA & lacquer finishes finishes did not hold up but quess should not be! Never had any trouble with those finishes.

Have been hauling many different turned items to outdoor shows, displayed in all kinds of weather and what didn't sell went to the next show etc. Never had a problem with any finish I put on those items. Damage to some of those items came about from my mishandling, don't ask.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Hank, surprised to hear CA & lacquer finishes finishes did not hold up but quess should not be! Never had any trouble with those finishes.

Have been hauling many different turned items to outdoor shows, displayed in all kinds of weather and what didn't sell went to the next show etc. Never had a problem with any finish I put on those items. Damage to some of those items came about from my mishandling, don't ask.

The first pen that I made for myself was a slimline from paddock and it was a beautiful bright orange. Less than a year later, the pen had changed color tremendously to a dull orange-brown . It had a good thick coat of CA on it.

A pen that I made before that one was a holly pen slimline (early 2005). LOML took it and still has it. It also had a good thick CA coating on it and still does to this day. She has used that pen more than other pen and still has it in her purse. That white white holly is now slightly yellowish ivory colored.

My own 30 pieces of silver pen has a thick coating of CA also. The bloodwood is still very red but the holly is not white-white but now ivory colored. That pen was made in 2009.

I think for most woods, we adjust with their very slow - over time - changes without realizing that color/tone changes have taken place. I have made several cherry tables over the years and I never noticed the changes until I placed a newly finished board next to an older finished piece.

Last edited:

SteveG

Actually, the automotive clear isn't that expensive and there isn't any need for equipment to spray it. It comes in matte and gloss and is a one can product. It is also a catalyzed clear for durability. If one only wants to do one pen at a time, this product could be costly, but if one had several pens ready for finish, this product would work well. It has a 48hr to 72hr pot life once mixed.
It's on sale right now and a 10% discount can be acquired by signing up for email.

It can be found here... Eastwood's 2K AeroSpray

This one has my attention! I may give it a try, but as always, shipping to Hawaii my be a problem. Often finishing material that cannot be bought locally ranges from very difficult to impossible for me to purchase! Thanks for the info!

bmachin

Steve,

People have wrecks even in island paradises which mean body shops, which mean auto paint supply stores. I suspect that you can find an equivalent product on the island (or at least in the Islands) with a little googling.

Might be worth a try.

Bill

Woodchipper

Hank, thanks for the clarification. New to this pen making stuff. The only thing that I have used that has UV resistance is the two part epoxies used for coating the threads on fishing rods. These are specially formulated to be used where lots of light/UV is encountered.

Wildman

Mulberry very similar to Osage Orange yellow when first cut doesn't take long to turn brown.

We never know what color wood will eventually settle into but no worries.

Top Bottom