USPS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Don Rabchenuk

A picture from my wife showing the package that was delivered this morning by our great postal system. Not even a note addressing the damage. Hope the order is complete.

9557.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

Better watch what you say about the post office here.
A lot of people have thin skin when it comes to their (USPS) service.
I know from experience.
:mad:

WriteON

I know from experience.

Better watch what you say....here goes,

Where can a 1000 black and white loafers be found. (hint....not at a shoe store or eBay)

...... the Post Office.

I never had a serious problem with them but came close. Also I have a local office does not answer the phone ...and it you have made an appointment for something it is worthless.

Last edited:

stonepecker

First of all .... I will say that MAYBE here we have people that care a little more. NEVER anything serious. With that said....I have found that going to the postmaster here is the fastest way to get anything done.

I don't make an appointment. But when I go in there I plan on being there for up to 2 hours. I will ask to see the postmaster......they ask what it is about......I tell them and they then try to discuss the issue. I listen to them and then I repeat my request to see the postmaster. I don't take NO for an answer. I am prepared to wait them out. I will wait to talk to the person in charge of the complete office. The people below him answer to him. HE is suppose to answer to US. and if I start to get a run around......I make it very clear that I am not going to settle for less then to speak with him direct. And I am not afraid to ask for information on how to connect with his superior. People need to be responsible. On their jobs and for their actions. When you let this type of issue go, you are telling them they can get away with this. Do not let that happen.

Of course, accidents happen but it is up to you to hold people responsible for their service of work. Or lack there of. The above, in my opinion, is not acceptable and more important is uncalled for.

Last edited:

MRDucks2

I have to admit that I have been blessed with pretty decent post offices in my life. Know that 4 of those we in towns small enough the Post Master was likely to be working the counter and, if not, you could just holler and they would hear you. The largest was In Spring Texas, North of Houston and was amazing run and took care of problems efficiently. My current post office is also small, and great, with the Post Masters office actually having a split service door so if busy or low on employees she can help out right from here office. I know there are a lot of problems but there must be a couple of sweet spots on size that get you better service. Before moving back to Indiana I only went to the post office once in Magnolia Texas because of location. The rest of the time I took care of USPS needs at the local UPS store, though I believe that is optional service. The condition of that package is totally unacceptable. However, as an early online sales business back when eBay was new, the shipper has some responsibility, also. An empty box (or nearly so) will not hold up to any parcel equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Woodchipper

Not a good way to handle the mail. I sent a lab report to the VA hospital in Murfreesboro, TN. The hospital has been there for years. The report came back marked- Moved. C'mon!
I double checked the address and it was the same on their letterhead and the cards I have from the medical staff. Mailed it again and it never came back. Go figure.
FWIW, we are pretty lucky that our postal service does a good job. A country on another continent had a postal workers strike. Mail piled up at the post offices. When the strike was over, rather than deliver the mail, the postal workers burned it!

dogcatcher

Looking at how flimsy that box is, I would say the shipper is an idiot, a blooming idiot. USPS packages are moved by mostly mechanical means, same as packages at UPS and FedEx.

jennera

It looks like someone ran over it!

I received a package that had been nibbled on and all the MandMs inside were gone but at least the mice didnt mess with the pen supplies!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

pshrynk

When I lived in a small city, the PO was a bit unresponsive. Since moving to a small town, the local PO has been very good. I went in right after I moved here and asked about my mail and the guy behind the window had it in a box at his feet and told me that he would have the route carrier start delivery the next day. They know me by face. (It's a very small town.) SO, smaller is better, sometimes.

I'm guessing, though that the damage there didn't happen at the local level, just odds on...

WriteON

Looking at how flimsy that box is, I would say the shipper is an idiot, a blooming idiot. USPS packages are moved by mostly mechanical means, same as packages at UPS and FedEx.

We bash USPS (and UPS and FEDx)> I had a mail order business for incoming stuff. Outgoing was UPS. Anytime there was a problem it was from the source. THE SHIPPER. There is no substitute for proper packaging.
And Amazon...forgetaboutit. The worst packers on the planet.

As for the appointment. I made one for a passport photo and to complete the paperwork. Nobody was at the certain window or knew anything about my appointment.

As for the USPS...they do great job most of the time. A lot of mail gets handled..it's amazing it gets to the destination. Like it or not we are lost without them. I will use them again. I will recommend to a friend.

Last edited:

Don Rabchenuk

Outside of the package has what looks to be tire tracks. Could be from the conveyor belt. Just saying, either way it was in a usps supplied package and I would think there machines have some type of device so a package would not slip into the cracks. It was not delivered to them in that condition so one would assume it would not arrive in that condition. Then with no notice from the post office or carrier please. You can not make any excuse for any of it.

sbwertz

It's not just USPS. I ran a restaurant in a major mall here in Phoenix. I would stand at the delivery entrance and watch the UPS driver throw all the packages out of the back of the truck onto the ground before coming down and loading them into a cart for delivery.

turncrazy43

My experience with USPS is mixed. The route driver that delivers to the mailbox at home is very pleasant and friendly, we wave and greet each other. However, at the local post office the service is slow and surly. Never have seen a smile on anyone's face. Asked one guy that if the job was that bad why didn't quit? No reply just another nasty look. I try not to go there unless necessary.
Turncrazy43

tbroye

Opps someone really tried hard to destroy it. He in Sacramento we have a Amazon facility so now we have USPS, UPS, FedX and now AMZL. Amazon delivery is a joke you get with in a few hours but person is using his/her own vehicle and kinda just toss on the front porch where everyone can see it and kinda know or make a stab at doorbell. We have theft problem around here and have a large flower pot on the front porch to packages behind, but you have to walk all the way up to the front door to place the package behind it. USPS UPS and FedX all do but not AMZL I have gotten busted packages all 4 and agree Amazon it terrible with the packaging and no candy.

I know from experience.

Yeah, I'm one of those who will defend the post office, it's the best postal service we have right now.... as a former transportation manager, I'm fairly well versed on how things move about the world.

I've been lucky - knocking on green wood - I've not received anything mangled to the extent the OP package was. I would be upset too if it happened and I didn't at least get a "sorry" from the postman.

I think what upset the OP is the fact that he didn't receive any kind of apology, notification, or information about his package... there's no justification for poor customer service. He has a right to be upset about the lack of courtesy... he does have recourse on the package and contents... you can go on line and file a complaint or file one with the post office and if items are lost you can file a claim, although the shipper will likely receive the proceeds of the claim.

Every transportation carrier in the world has had some damage to freight at some time or other..... In the 40 years I spent in the transportation industry, I've had whole containers lost at sea, boxes dropped on the dock, a truck run under a low underpass and knock the top out of a box even after warning the trucker of the low underpass, another truck ran under a different low underpass hauling a unit to me that knocked the top off the piece, never stopped or picked up the piece... his buddy following in another truck with another piece of freight stopped and picked up the parts... another trucker failed to chain down a 70,000 lb $400,000 piece of mining equipment, made a sharp turn and slid the piece off his truck, then tried to deliver a damaged piece of freight to me.... I refused it, sent it back to the shipper to fix and because the company was self insured, put them out of business... oh well...

Wagner11

I only ever had a problem with one carrier not delivering mail.

However, I never mark anything as fragile after a relative that worked as a carrier told me people treat such packages poorly. No idea why. Perhaps Fragile is some kind of challenge to some people.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

leehljp

Member Liaison
Delivery confusion is world wide! When in Tokyo, we would get mail with only a partial address on it from the USA. They KNEW where all the foreigners were in that metro area of 30-40 million people.

Shortly after moving into a suburb of Toyota City, I went to the neighborhood post office and mailed a manilla envelope to Tokyo overnight. Next day, it was in my mail box. I was furious. I went to the neighborhood PO and they were expecting me. The fellow pulled out a book to explain the proper way to mail things in Japan. (I had been in Japan for 20 years at this time and was fluent as well as in writing Japanese). The fellow showed me the proper way to address a large envelope. I said, yes I know that, and the envelope is addressed exactly that way and in Japanese kanji. He said, Yes it is. But you are a foreigner. I said yes, what has that got to do with it. He said: "WE didn't know if you as a foreigner knew the right way or not." I said: "But I did it correctly." He said: "Yes, but we didn't know if you KNEW that or just GUESSED. So we sent it back."

Sensing a losing argument, I changed tactics. "So, how should I fill it out so that you will know that I, as a foreigner, know how to do it correctly?"

After sucking air for a few seconds, he said: "Why don't you put the FROM Address on one side and the TO address on the other side?"

Me: Sounds good, however, how do you know which is the "to" Side and which is the "From" Side?

Him: Sucking air again!

Me: "What IF I added から(kara) on my address, and 出 (deru) to the one to whom it is going?"

Him:"You know those hiragana & kanji?"
Me: Yes!
Him: "That would solve everything!"

Me - I quickly wrote those on the envelope and told him that I have already paid for overnight delivery and did not think I needed to pay again!. He took it and it was there the next day.

BTW, I told a few co-workers that lived at different locations in Japan about this over the next few years, and was surprised to learn that this same thing had happened to some of them also.

Last edited:
Top Bottom