Using Decals

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duanechun

I am looking for some advice on using decals on pens. I see quite a few patriotic and military themed pens with decals. I understand copyright infringement issues are a sticky area... Before I start down a road I dont want to go -

1) has copyright use changed in past 5yrs or so? most of the past postings on this topic are several years old

2) is there a place to purchase suitable decals that includes permission for use (like on pens)

3) if I i find a graphic from "creative commons" that allows commercial use - can I use it on a pen?

4) is there specific disclaimer "wording" to be used when selling a decal pen?

appreciate the insight,
duane

RileyD

1) Not significantly.
2) Look for royalty free stock images, probably vector so they can be resized. Every site more or less has their own licenses/restrictions so pay attention to the license on stuff you buy.
3)If it allows for commercial use you can use it on a pen. Do not forget though all CC licenses come with an attribution requirement. You can probably solve this with a card that accompanies the pen and attributes the image creator.
If you alter the image and the license is by-sa you will have to make the altered image available for anyone else that wants to use it.
4) For stuff you buy, no disclaimer is necessary. For CC licensed images attribution is required. Check the license for any required wording.

Edit: Forgot
3a)If you show images of your pen on-line (Etsy, this forum, etc.) you will also have to attribute the source image and include a link.

Last edited:

duanechun

1) Not significantly.
2) Look for royalty free stock images, probably vector so they can be resized. Every site more or less has their own licenses/restrictions so pay attention to the license on stuff you buy.
3)If it allows for commercial use you can use it on a pen. Do not forget though all CC licenses come with an attribution requirement. You can probably solve this with a card that accompanies the pen and attributes the image creator.
If you alter the image and the license is by-sa you will have to make the altered image available for anyone else that wants to use it.
4) For stuff you buy, no disclaimer is necessary. For CC licensed images attribution is required. Check the license for any required wording.

Edit: Forgot
3a)If you show images of your pen on-line (Etsy, this forum, etc.) you will also have to attribute the source image and include a link.

Good info/advice! thank you very much. duane

Top Bottom