Update on my son

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

tomtedesco was kind enough to PM me to ask about my son's condition. Thank you Tom.

Here is an update:

He has completed 5 of 6 initial chemo treatments. After his fourth treatment he went on short term disability. He was missing so much work that the company encouraged him to do so. With each treatment he gets a little sicker.

The initial reports are that the treatment is working, but we will not know for certain until mid to late June.

In the meantime, his baby was diagnosed with swelling of the brain this week and will be having surgery to correct a problem with fluid not draining properly either tomorrow or Monday. They say it is a fairly common procedure, but it doesn't seem common to us. They spent the day in the ER and she was admitted to the hospital in preparation for the surgery this evening.

His poor wife is dealing with the stress of a husband battling cancer and a baby needing brain surgery. Rhuidean was born on my sons 26th birthday, April 4th.

Thanks for your caring and prayers.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbroye

Steve I pray for your son and the baby. My niece had that procedure when she as you, not young as the baby and she is happy healthy 40 year old mother. They put a drain or a stent at base of her skull to drain the fluid into her spinal column if I remember right. It's scary but not that uncommon. Thought and prayers.

Jim15

I hope the initial reports on your son are correct and he is improving. Your son, the baby and your whole family will remain in my prayers.

SteveJ

Will continue praying. Thank you for the update. Is there a way to help his wife?

Thanks for the prayers. The two mothers have been taking turns being there. My wife has been there for the past 10 days. I believe that both will be there later today. We have a daughter getting married in a month and she arrives in town on Tuesday so we will need to focus as much as possible on wedding plans until Tim's next treatment May 26. Then My wife will go back to be with them for a few days.

We are considering setting up a GoFundMe account for those who want to help with some of their mounting medical bills. You can contact me if you are interested in that.

SteveJ

A quick update.

Baby Rhu has spent the last two nights in the hospital. Yesterday they put off the surgery until Thursday due to scheduling issues with the neurosurgeon. Today the resident suggested that there is continued build-up of pressure and they may go ahead and do the surgery today. Waiting on the neurosurgeon again.

Thanks for your prayers.

SteveJ

How is the baby doing?

Thanks for asking. Got home from Denver last night after Rhu went home late Friday morning.

The surgery was uneventful. The doctor says the shunt went in fine. They were able to insert enough tubing so that as she grows it will stretch with her and hopefully not need to be replaced for years if at all. Thankfully the surgery was two weeks after Tim's chemo treatment, so he was feeling well enough to be there.

His last treatment (we hope) will be next Friday. His PET scan is scheduled for June 16 after which we will find out if our life will return to "normal."

Thanks to all who prayed for Tim, Rhu and Sarah. Sarah has done amazingly well as she has dealt with a husband with cancer and a daughter with brain surgery! She is also the maid of honor at my daughter's wedding which is June 12!

My guess is that by July she will want a vacation. (I know I will!)

Sorry about the sideways pictures.

Attachments

• 20170518_133110.jpg
    20170518_133110.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 20170518_155215.jpg
    20170518_155215.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Top Bottom