Update on Dee

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

As some of you know Dee has had some heart problems the last month or so. She has had to wear a life vest (a wearable defibrillator) and also on enough meds to keep 3 Pharmaceutical companies solvent for the next 5 years. The life vest had to be worn 24/7 and has been a pain. It has wires, sensors, paddles and a 2 pound monitor that hands from a strap around her neck.
Well yesterday we had her check-up at the Oklahoma Heart Hospital and it seems the Drugs are doing their job and she is now off the vest. She will have to keep on the meds and in 3 months have a sonogram of her heart and if at that time the Meds are still doing their job no pacemaker will be needed, if not a pacemaker and maybe a defibrillator will be installed. We have hopes that all she will need is the Meds and a lifestyle change as she will at time over work.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jjjaworski

My best wishes that Dee will be able to control things with meds and that the worse is in the past and the future is much brighter.

Jim Smith

I'm glad to hear that they have been able to stabilize her with the need of surgery. That said, I've had an implanted defibrillator for the past 14 years. I contracted Lymes disease from a deer tick about 15 years ago and it messed up the electrical system in my heart, causing it to suddenly start beating 300 beats per minute which is not compatible with remaining alive. My defibrillator/pace maker is my buddy and has probably saved my life a number of times. The newer technology defibrillators are much better and you don't even know it's there. I haven't been zapped in years and in some ways, I'm probably better off than a person with no implanted defibrillator/pace maker.

Jim Smith

SteveG

Roy, I am VERY happy to hear that things are moving in the right direction for Dee, and thanks for the update.

Dee,
I can only imagine what it has been like to be wearing this machine all the time. For sure the nuisance factor has been there, even at the same time being thankful to have it. But the reminder of what it means...needing to rely on this device to rescue you at any given moment. How difficult. So good for you to be getting better. Keep it up! Tell Roy he has to let you back off to only working 12 hours a day, you deserve it! :eek::tongue:

turncrazy43

Roy,Dee, great news on the recovery. Hope the recovery continues as hoped. You will both be in our prayers.

BJohn

Roy have not had the pleasure of meeting you & Dee. But after going threw open heart surgery myself, I kind of have an idea what ya'll are dealing with. Please know that a'll are in my thoughts and prayers.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Roy, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the meds continue doing their job and she will be fighting fit in no time. Very best wishes to you both.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Great news on Dee's progress so far.
We will keep you in our prayers as you continue your recovery.
Edgar

stonepecker

Great news and very happy for Dee. We will continue to say the prayers......she continues to get better. Keep us informed and tell Dee to behave.:biggrin:

OKLAHOMAN

Thank all who have sent her well wishes the last 8 weeks, Dee and I really appreciate all the emails, PM,s and even a hospital visit by one member.

Roy, I am VERY happy to hear that things are moving in the right direction for Dee, and thanks for the update.

Dee,
I can only imagine what it has been like to be wearing this machine all the time. For sure the nuisance factor has been there, even at the same time being thankful to have it. But the reminder of what it means...needing to rely on this device to rescue you at any given moment. How difficult. So good for you to be getting better. Keep it up! Tell Roy he has to let you back off to only working 12 hours a day, you deserve it!

Steve, if I was to cut her back to only 12 hours a day it would mean I would have to now work 13 hours instead of my exhausting 1 hour with only 1 half hr. break.
All kidding aside she gets mad at me because I won't let her do anything but look pretty and eat Bon-bons.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thank all who have sent her well wishes the last 8 weeks, Dee and I really appreciate all the emails, PM,s and even a hospital visit by one member.

Dee,
I can only imagine what it has been like to be wearing this machine all the time. For sure the nuisance factor has been there, even at the same time being thankful to have it. But the reminder of what it means...needing to rely on this device to rescue you at any given moment. How difficult. So good for you to be getting better. Keep it up! Tell Roy he has to let you back off to only working 12 hours a day, you deserve it!

Steve, if I was to cut her back to only 12 hours a day it would mean I would have to now work 13 hours instead of my exhausting 1 hour with only 1 half hr. break.
All kidding aside she gets mad at me because I won't let her do anything but look pretty and eat Bon-bons.
The looking pretty is fine but those bon-bons are a disaster waiting to happen..You got her heavily insured Roy????:biggrin::biggrin: On a serious note I have prayed for her recovery.

Roy,
Hope you and Dee are sheltered in from all this weather that's roaming around OK...

I'm glad Dee's getting everything under control without surgery... My Dianne is getting better every day... she had a mild stroke on March 17 that took her back to the hospital, then they discovered the blood infection that she had come down with in December had come back and had settled in her Mitral valve in her heart... April 3 she had open heart surgery to replace the valve.... she's been home since Easter and is improving every day... she's still having to use a walker since the infection all but sapped all her strength.... she also in cardiac rehab now 3 days a week and hopefully by the end of July she'll be off the walker and maybe just on a cane or maybe even back to normal. Our new primary care doctor is now looking at seeing about her back which was giving her fits when all this started and hasn't been addressed at all during the 6 months she's been in and out of the hospitals and nursing centers.

Tell her to take it easy and you take care of yourself...

Top Bottom