Upcoming Trip to Hawaii

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'll be in Hawaii (island of Oahu) from May 8-28 on a business trip. My wife is staying home this time, so I'll have some "wood" time available on this trip.

Can anyone can suggest some good sources for bowl blanks and other wood chunks or cutoffs on Oahu. I'm familiar with Woodcraft there & will probably check them out, but I wasn't too impressed with their wood selection last year.

I realize that Kauai & Hawaii probably have more options, but this is a work trip and I probably won't have time for any excursions to other islands.

If anyone would care to meet up while I'm there, let me know and I'll see if we can arrange it. I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn in Waikiki and working at the Navy's Red Hill facility near Pearl Harbor.

Thanks
Edgar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Hi Edgar,
In years past I have dealt with Winkler Woods, and Martin and MacArthur. (Many years back.) So I do not know if they are worth a visit or a call, but both had extensive Hawaiian lumber inventory.
A side note: About 15~20 years ago (Pre-pen days foe me), M & M used to buy finished Koa gift products from me, but then decided to copy my designs, cheapen them for ease of production, and then replace my nice items with their own lower grade designs. I was getting tired of wholesale production work anyhow. So happy to say bye-bye. They did carry a large Koa lumber inventory.

Have a good trip. If you could stop on Kauai, we could have a few "talk story" shop hours.
Aloha!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Hi Edgar,
In years past I have dealt with Winkler Woods, and Martin and MacArthur. (Many years back.) So I do not know if they are worth a visit or a call, but both had extensive Hawaiian lumber inventory.
A side note: About 15~20 years ago (Pre-pen days foe me), M & M used to buy finished Koa gift products from me, but then decided to copy my designs, cheapen them for ease of production, and then replace my nice items with their own lower grade designs. I was getting tired of wholesale production work anyhow. So happy to say bye-bye. They did carry a large Koa lumber inventory.

Have a good trip. If you could stop on Kauai, we could have a few "talk story" shop hours.
Aloha!

Thanks for the leads, Steve.
Right now we have a pretty full agenda, but if things go well and we do manage to get a long weekend, I would definitely love to make a run over to Kauai to meet up with you.
I'll keep you posted.
Edgar

BJohn

Edgar have fun, I am jealous. if you were going to the big island I would have several recommendations for sources. But if you do find one type of wood I would look for is "Milo' fantastic colors has a red that turns to a deep chocolate over time.

Have a good time.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Edgar have fun, I am jealous. if you were going to the big island I would have several recommendations for sources. But if you do find one type of wood I would look for is "Milo' fantastic colors has a red that turns to a deep chocolate over time.

Have a good time.

Thanks John,
We do have one customer on the big island, but so far, I haven't been able to wangle a trip to their facility. :mad:

BJohn

Drop me a note if you do get there, I know a guy that will fix you up with more then you can carry back.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Be sure to have dinner at Jawaiin Irie Jerk restaurant in Honolulu. Chicken wings are really good but their Oxtail Stew was amazing!

Thanks Doug - haven't tried that one before - I'll put it on the list.
(maybe just the wings though) :)

magpens

If you want the names of one or two Ebay sellers in the Honolulu area send me a PM.
You'd probably want to contact them before you go if you are interested in their stuff.
I have bought only pen blanks and only online.

plantman

:island::island: Have a great trip Edgar !! You might want to try a meal at Jimmy Bufett's place across from Waikiki beach. Great food !!! Jim S

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
:island::island: Have a great trip Edgar !! You might want to try a meal at Jimmy Bufett's place across from Waikiki beach. Great food !!! Jim S

Unfortunately, I believe that Jimmy Buffet's has closed. It was located at the Holiday Inn where we'll be staying, but that space has been taken over by Maui Brewing Co. They closed the place in Feb and are totally redoing the space to turn it into a brew pub. It's scheduled to reopen sometime this fall.

Some people just can't leave well enough alone.

Top Bottom