Unturned? Turned out?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pshrynk

Well, I'm out of action for a week or so. My lathe's on/off switch wasn't offing, so I was reaching behind to try and undo the power supply and plug it back in to reset it (this has worked before). Unfortunately, the plug was stubborn and released suddenly, causing my hand to jerk rapidly away from the back of the machine.

This then caused the back of my hand to be introduced to just how sharp carbide inserts are. I won't gross you out with pictures, but I got a quick refresher course on the anatomy of the tendons of the back of the hand.

"Oh, look! When I move my finger I can see where I nicked the tendon!" I guess it's fortunate for my being able to remain upright that the reason I went into psychiatry was that the hours of surgery sucked, rather than being grossed out by such things.

Anyway, about four hours of ER time later, I have a sutured up hand that I can't do a lot of strong grasping with and cannot get terribly dirty. So I'm out of the game for a week.

--Does it mean that I'm truly addicted that I put on a rubber glove and finished polishing the blank that I had nearly finished before the switch went wonky on me?--

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ebill

--Does it mean that I'm truly addicted that I put on a rubber glove and finished polishing the blank that I had nearly finished before the switch went wonky on me?--

- what ..... you didn't finish it before you went to the ER ??? <g>

- ebill

pshrynk

Just talked with Penn State and they acted like they knew that this sort of thing happened a lot. (Switch thing, not slice thing.) They're sending a new switch right along. Sheesh.

pshrynk

I just came back from the occupational therapist, who says I am danged lucky that I only nicked the extensor tendon and to quit twisting my hand to try and make it stop feeling like it's pulling. She said that the splinting to fix a torn tendon is gawdawful and about three months long. Yuck. So, I've got a bunch of exercises and thanks to the universe to be sending out.

Woodchipper

Sue them! A lady bought a kitchen range with a certain brand of oven door handle. The handle had a small metal bur on it. She cut her hand, sued the handle manufacturer and got a lot of money.

stonepecker

The rule here in the IAP...........No pictures , it didn't happen.

Happy that you are almost alright. Listen to the doctors and people who know how these things heal. You will be back at the lathe in no-time.

Thinking of buying a lotto ticket? Glad you lucky streak is intact.

Woodchipper

FWIW, I cut my thumb while cutting lettuce. Duh! $310 and three stitches. One stitch was through the thumbnail. That's over $100 per stitch. Should have gone to medical school.
We all know that any type of woodworking can have dangers attached to it. Glad you are doing OK.

pshrynk

Image1520528991.726498.jpg. Okay. Proof. I'm not about to rip the stitches out to show off the tendons though.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom