undecided.......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

loydstuts

The shopsmith is a very versatile tool. It takes up a lot of floor space. I have seen them on craigslist for up to $2000. You might check out shopsmith.net/forum for some other information. If the price is OK with you, you can do worse.

kovalcik

The question is what do you want to make? Are you looking for a lathe or all 5 tools that the shop smith provides? If you are looking only for a lathe, I think you would be better off buying a used lathe for $400. If you want the multi tool function, it is a reasonable way to go to get the table saw, lathe, and drill press.

I have a Mark V 500. It was good when I did not have the shop space. I used it while building our house and it was great. I have since replaced the major Shop Smith functions with stationary tools. As easy as change overs are, it is always better to have dedicated machines if you have the space and money. I have also found that the stationary tools are more accurate.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I've had a Shopsmith for over 30 years and wouldn't trade in even if I had stationary tools. As a lathe, although I have used it often, I find it very low and not as comfortable as other options for long sessions. Use it all the time for many functions in a limited space shop.

jcm71

As said above it all depends what you want to use it for and if space is a consideration. As for turning pens I don't recommend it. Others may disagree. I turned my first 600 pens (approx) on my Shopsmith. Always had problems with my tailstock flexing even when I was turning between centers, resulting in OOR turnings. Since I bought my used Delta midi I haven't had that problem

MichaelD

Bill, Check the Baton Rouge Craigslist from Tuesday or Wednesday (do a search). There was one listed with "everything", including lathe, for $850 not far from my house. He had pictures and it looked complete and clean.

Don't own one so can't help whether you should actually get one or not.

Dan Masshardt

Apart from whether you want a shopsmith or not, I've found that people ask way more than they will end up actually getting.

I was selling one I tried to ask more for but had to go down to $200 to get it sold.

Top Bottom