UFC 225

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

All right, I would watch some from time to time. And still do, however it was because of Rhonda, CM Punk, Brock, and a few others.

Now it cracks me up, they brought in CM Punk, and he got beat. However the PPV was huge numbers. And a big reason was because of his debut. However a lot are complaining about him getting a shot at the main event/PPV. I laugh, because it is entertainment, and he brings more eyes to the event, which means bigger pay days for the athletes in general.

So anyone else watching this weekend?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

The only time I watch is when my son watches. Like you said it's entertainment. He and several of his friends watch it and they're just as serious about it as any other big sporting event. They record them and watch them later if they can't watch the show live. They get very upset if you say the outcome before the other person gets to watch. I'm not a big fan but I enjoy watching with my son laughing at what all goes on. It's come a long way from when it started and everyone who liked it thought it was real. One thing to keep in mind regardless of how fake the wrestling is the are excellent athletes/acrobats.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
All right, I would watch some from time to time. And still do, however it was because of Rhonda, CM Punk, Brock, and a few others.

Now it cracks me up, they brought in CM Punk, and he got beat. However the PPV was huge numbers. And a big reason was because of his debut. However a lot are complaining about him getting a shot at the main event/PPV. I laugh, because it is entertainment, and he brings more eyes to the event, which means bigger pay days for the athletes in general.

So anyone else watching this weekend?

I get it for free (Don't tell anyone :biggrin:). I will be watching, assuming I can stay awake. Most of the main events come on around 1am my time.

tomtedesco

I watch quite often but only after the main event (reruns) for free. I see where WY has allowed MMA bare knuckle fights, not sure if that sounds good to me.

Dehn0045

The UFC, or MMA in general, needs to get a handle on weight cutting. Two main events in a row tainted by fighters missing weight. I was never a big Thompson fan, but he got screwed by UFC. As the #1 contender he flew to the home of a much lower ranked fighter Till (#6 I think) who then missed weight by 3.5 pounds. Then when he lost a decision he got leapfrogged by Till in the standings. Yoel did the exact same thing against Rockhold, no surprise that he missed weight again for the fight tonight. Both Romero and Till used their size advantage and massive weight cuts to work their way up the standings. It doesn't make sense that they should be further rewarded for missing weight. 3 or 3.5 lbs is a huge difference in a fight. Sorry, end of rant

edicehouse

The UFC, or MMA in general, needs to get a handle on weight cutting. Two main events in a row tainted by fighters missing weight. I was never a big Thompson fan, but he got screwed by UFC. As the #1 contender he flew to the home of a much lower ranked fighter Till (#6 I think) who then missed weight by 3.5 pounds. Then when he lost a decision he got leapfrogged by Till in the standings. Yoel did the exact same thing against Rockhold, no surprise that he missed weight again for the fight tonight. Both Romero and Till used their size advantage and massive weight cuts to work their way up the standings. It doesn't make sense that they should be further rewarded for missing weight. 3 or 3.5 lbs is a huge difference in a fight. Sorry, end of rant

They said he missed by .2 and the UFC decided it was too much weight to lose in an hour.

WY bare knuckles

I watch quite often but only after the main event (reruns) for free. I see where WY has allowed MMA bare knuckle fights, not sure if that sounds good to me.

In my younger days, especially in my Navy days, I saw quite a bit of fighting with bare knuckles. And I have a few scares on my hands to prove it. As I expected, the WY bare knuckles allowance produced a big crowd and a lot of blood. I just wonder how long it will take for someone to get killed or seriously hurt. Seems like boxing is going backwards or people are getting more sadistic. I'll skip the bare knuckles fighting.

Dehn0045

They said he missed by .2 and the UFC decided it was too much weight to lose in an hour.

It was his previous fight, against Rockhold, that fight he missed weight by 2.7 lbs. It was also an interim Title fight. He reportedly was cutting 22 pounds ahead of this weekend's fight, which at 41 years old and basically solid muscle, is pretty crazy IMO. Docs were probably reasonably worried he could die, so they stopped his cut. There shouldn't be any second chance, if you are supposed to make a certain weight by a certain time you should do it or suffer consequences. Even elementary school kids understand that complaining b/c you weren't given extra time is ridiculous.

In my younger days, especially in my Navy days, I saw quite a bit of fighting with bare knuckles. And I have a few scares on my hands to prove it. As I expected, the WY bare knuckles allowance produced a big crowd and a lot of blood. I just wonder how long it will take for someone to get killed or seriously hurt. Seems like boxing is going backwards or people are getting more sadistic. I'll skip the bare knuckles fighting.

I have heard some compelling arguments that bare hand (no glove or wrap) MMA could be safer from a head trauma perspective. Bloodier, yes, but the risk of breaking your hand would reduce punches to the head and increase grappling and submissions. Elbows are already allowed, which gets pretty nasty sometimes. Bare knuckle boxing is a totally different animal though...

Top Bottom