Turning Smock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ericw95

I've run the last 3 group buys for smocks and would be willing to run another if there was enough interest. In the past, I offered the option of personalization but that will not be an option this time becasue my wife will be in the hospital for a few months delivering our baby girl that is not due until June. Yes 3 to 4 months of hospital bed rest.

If there is enough interest, you need to know that it usually takes 6 or so weeks for the smocks to arrive to me once the order is placed.

Aderhammer

I'd be willing to wait, it's just my mother keeps complaining about the saw dust around the house so i want something that i can remove out in the garage, is lightweight and keeps the saw dust off.

RMB

Excuse my ignerens, but wuts a turnin smock? Does it hold lathe chisels or something?
I have a leather apron from HF I bought a few years ago, I think around 10$. Used it when metalworking, I think its actually for welding, but it has pockets on the front that work for pliers, pencil, calipers, etc. And it looks a lot cooler than a hospital gown.[8D]

Daniel

Originally posted by DocStram

I happen to have a smock from Lee Valley ... and I hate it. The zipper is the biggest pain in the butt. [}:)]
Al you and I must have gotten ours from the same batch. I also have the Lee Valley smock. here are some issues I would look for in selecting anouther one. ventilation. the smock is long sleeved with tight cuffs and the neck closes up to keep chips from getting down your shirt. it gets hot in there. so vents under the arms or in the back would be a big plus. I also have the zipper issue but it is loosening up with use. other than that it works great at keeping the dust where my wife prefers it, in the shop. She did look at it the other day and mentioned washing it. I told here I was just getting to where I was not embarrased by how new it looked. I'll let you know what kind of shape it is in when it gets out of the washer[B)]

palmermethod

Originally posted by RMB

Excuse my ignerens, but wuts a turnin smock? Does it hold lathe chisels or something?
I have a leather apron from HF I bought a few years ago, I think around 10$. Used it when metalworking, I think its actually for welding, but it has pockets on the front that work for pliers, pencil, calipers, etc. And it looks a lot cooler than a hospital gown.[8D]
Ditto.............
It doesn't have sleeves but I wear it inside out to avoid the pocket filling up with chips. And it is a good thing when fooling around carving something on your lap. Plus saw kickbacks.

Whether sleeves are good or not is up to you. In my teen years I worked several years as a machinist and tool & die apprentice. I have seen what injuries loose clothing can do when caught in rotating parts. Of course that was way before OSHA. But I liked it.

palmermethod

Take me to your leader. This is the HF leather apron. Now about $14.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94128

200822319260_Apron1.jpg

Top Bottom