Turning the perfect pen...is it possible?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rej19

Ok, I have been turning pens strictly as a hobby for a couple of years or so. I would guess maybe a hundred or so at the most. In other words I am not an "expert". But I have certainly learned a lot through this website and our local chapter meetings and probably most by trial and error. My equipment is decent but not highend. My "shop" is a corner of the garage. I think you get the picture. I am probably the average pen turner that visits this site.....I have no idea for sure. When I find the time to go to the shop and turn a masterpiece it always seems there is some little imperfecton. Sometimes only my highly trained penturning eye can see it but I know it's there. Sometimes the material, wood or acrylic, or whatever just doesn't look right on the kit after assembled. Sometimes the finish no matter what type I have tried is almost perfect put this one miniscule spot that sticks out like a sore thumb to me. Or I fine a little imperfection in the kit...... probably put there by me. Or I have overturned or underturned and on and on. I usually use my wife as the first person in the quality control department. The only problem it always passes. Then I show her the fragment of my imagination and she laughs and walks off. Here is my question. Is it possible to pick the right material, kit, and finish and assemble the perfect pen? Don't tell me yes for I fear how long it might take to learn how to do it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scooley01

It's important to remember that we're all our own worst critic...I think the day you sit down and turn a pen that you're 100% happy with every aspect of would be the day you give up on ever turning another pen...the imperfections are my drive to turn another pen!

Andrew Arndts

I have a drawer of pens that I forgot to put this on or I undercut the bushings or something went askew because of the skew perhaps and they end up somehow in my wife's work locker. beauty is in the eye of the beholder plus if it writes good, well all the better.

Padre

Like Steven said, we are our own worst critic. We are constantly raising the bar, and most of the time that is a good thing. But when we raise the bar too high, then it turns out to be more of a chore than a hobby/fun to turn pens. But IMHO that is human nature. If we get really good at something, we are never good enough.

jttheclockman

Absolutely it is possible to turn the perfect pen. You see alot of examples here shown. In the eyes and minds of the person making the pen it is perfect. But if you ask others what would you have done differently and when they start rattling things off then you start to thinking it is not so perfect after all. Here is an example.

StormCloudMajestic1piece.jpg

StormCloudGreyMajestic2pieces-1.jpg

In my eye this is a perfect pen. The kit matches the blank spot on. The turning matches the kits measurements spot on. Could not have got any closer. The finish has no scratches whatsoever in it. ( I guess I need to put an asterick next to this statement after the post after this one, I did not look under a microscope just a magnifier lens that I use for scrolling)) To me perfect. Now I ask others what they think and I would hear that they would have bulged the blanks just abit because they don't like the straight look. Others would say they would change the crystal to a pure black stone and so on.

My point is as was mentioned we are our own worst critics. Oh how I see this in my scrollsawing. I have thrown out pieces because I knew of imperfections that would not be seen by an untrained eye.

Just do the best you can and strive for what you perceive as perfection and then let the chips fall whereveer they fall. Your customers will tell you if you are doing a good job or not.

Last edited:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Although we sometimes use the word perfect to decsribe things we are happy with, in the true sesne of the word, there is probably nothing that is perfect or flawless on some level. Our lathes will always have some runout, our components will have some flaws, and surface scratches or defects can always be seen if the magnification is high enough. It is probably better to set a personal standard of quality for those items you let out of your shop and those which should stay behind. In an ideal world, the standards can and should always be upgraded to the next level, but will never be perfect by definition.

Boz

Welcome to the club. I am a perfectionist and can always find fault with my work. My better half thinks my pens are just great and when I point out some small imperfection she tells me that is why they are handmade and not machine made. I restore old British motorcycles and I know every nut and bolt and can see all the imperfections in fact that is what I look straight at when I look at the machine. But I have brought home a number of trophys some even 1st place from shows. It is all part of the creative process.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
According to Plato, the abstract concept of 'pen-ness' would be an absolute.

If one looks at a thing with an ink well, a nib, etc. we know it looks LIKE a pen, because we have this atemporal concept of the perfect pen in our minds.

However, because the physical world can only hope to imitate the metaphysical world of the Forms, which are absolute in their perfection, then one cannot truly make the perfect pen, just as one cannot make a TRUE circle, down to the last micron. The physical properties of the universe makes perfection impossible...

So in Platonic philosophy, it is possible to imitating that perfect Form of 'pen-ness', but one cannot make a perfect physical imitation of an absolute, substantial non-material form. All we can do is compare our pens to the idea of the perfect Form and hope that we get closer with each try! :)

Yay, I finally used my philosophy degree! :biggrin:

IPD_Mrs

Ron, perfect for us is a matter of three things.
1.) Fit of blank to the fittings if any are used. No out of round, not proud, not under cut, ect....
2.) Grain and pattern line up. Does the pattern or grain line up when capped. How does it look posted if it is a postable pen.
3.) Finish, an even shine. Meaning if you are going for a high polish is it all high polish and does the depth look the same throughout the pen. If you are going for a satin finish is it all a satin finish.

That is as close as you can come to perfect. Shape of a pen and design are in the eyes of the beholder. If you don't like the shape it does not keep from making it a perfect pen. IMHO Shape has nothing to do with fit, alignment or finish. Plating always has some flaw to it. That does not keep it from being perfect. Like TJ said his pen is perfect. I don't like the pimp chip and would have rather seen him make one out of the material for the blank, but that is personal taste and has nothing to do with the pen being perfect. It is in fact technically perfect, which is what I think you are asking.

ctubbs

Andrew, me thinks ye been into the liquid libation we consumed much in the Physics Department way so many years past. Thanks for the dissertation upon the metaphysical implementation of perfection. That was so wonderful and fun. Way to go, Andrew, I loved it.
Charles

Top Bottom