Turning Pens with Music!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnathan

I've seen these in the magazines and wondered if anyone had a pair. How do they work? Being able to cut out the sound from the lathe and enjoy some music sounds great to me. Thanks

Peltor WorkTunes 22 - $69.99 (Ear Muffs with AM/FM)
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5028

If no one has them, then I guess I'll offer a review of them in a couple of weeks. If you do have them and hate them, let me know and save me a bit of money. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

micah

Johnathan,
I bought some last year for mowing with. Their awesome! You won't be dissapointed. The only downfall that I can think of to them is that they could be just a little lighter. It's not uncomfortable, just would like them that much more.
Good luck.
Micah
P.S. You might check ebay as well, that is where I got mine for a little less.

gerryr

The only problem with something like that is that if it eliminates the sound of the lathe, you won't hear it if something like a bearing starts to go out. I just use the Sony headphones that fit into your ear. I can hear the music OK, not great, but I can still hear the lathe. I learned this years ago from knowing someone who was hit by a car while running because he wore headphones that cut out just about all outside noise.

Skye

Not only that, I like to hear the wood or acrylic as it turns. You can tell if it's getting ready to dig on you or some chatter is about to insue.

I just use earbuds so I can hear the music and the lathe. Just run the wires up the inside of your shirt.

I have a pair and am happy with them. I don't use them at the lathe. I use them at the tablesaw, planer, router and of course the lawnmower (and snowblower in winter)[:)] As long as I don't turn them up too high I can still hear what's going on around me and they kill the damaging noise.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I have been very tempted to get some, particularly for lawn mowing. Do a search on Amazon, you will save $20 or so.

I found this link and decided to edit it in:

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/html/racetunes.htm#wt22

Daniel

I've thought of setting up my stereo with a personal monitor. I got the idea from playing in a band. the monitor is a small ear piece that goes on only one ear you can here the music and what is going on around you at the same time. bad news they are expensive.

dubdrvrkev

I just use a yardsale receiver and some bookshelf speakers. I have never been a fan of earbuds and it gets too hot having earmuffs on in the summer around here. Besides I already had all the stuff.

woodwish

I have a nice pair of wireless headphones (mine are high-end Sony's but there is a variety out there) that is connected to the stereo and satellite radio in my shop. I was a rock 'n roll DJ back in the 70's and music is a big part of my life so my system is probably a little bigger than most shops. The wireless headphones are lighter than the usual radio headphones like the link, and the batteries in mine are nice built-in lightweight rechargables. [8D] I wear them all the time I am in the shop unless I am planing or routing when I put on some stronger hearing protection. Downside is that they have to be used within about 75' of the transmitter so I have a set similar to the ones in the link for mowing grass. Never have really like the ear buds, but I do have a cheap set I wear in the hot tub, hardwire connected to the shop stereo system.

To be honest I hear the lathe just fine, it's a matter of being aware of the sounds. They do tend to knock out the drone of the DC and the constant hum of the lathe motor, but tool sounds and unusual mechanical sounds will really stand out. Other problem was not hearing the telephone so now I carry my pesky cell phone in my back pocket and it is set to vibrate in addition to ringing. Woodwork without rock 'n roll? Never! [:D]

Scottydont

I use earbuds playing mp3's off of a sound card in my Treo650 phone. If I need heariong protection for loud stuff I put my Radians Earmuffs over them. Gotta rock while I'm in the shop!
jammin.gif

It frustrates the wife when she tries to call me for dinner though [:D]

johnson

I think it is time to invest in hearing aid stock. All these ear buds and personal sound items are going to ruin the hearing of a lot of people. The lathe isn't that noisy to begin with. Saws are another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom