Turning Partner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas Taco

My oldest son is also a pretty good pen turner. He took a few of the things I taught him to school and gave his shop teacher a few pointers. The next year he worked as a student advisor in the shop class helping the new students turn pens and a few other woodshop projects. That was 2 years and a half a million shoe sizes ago. Now a high school sophomore with plans to attend dental school. Any one got some spare change to help pay for 8 years of college? :)

Here he is with my other turning partner in our shop. As long as neither one of the boys is around she is the friendliest dog you will ever meet. Still got a long way to go on the shop but it will all come together.

2005111724359_Turning.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rtjw

Good partner to have and wow what a clean shop. They are memories that will last a lifetime. Make sure to hold on to them as long as you can. Pretty soon it will be his son watching papaw turning in the shop.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully, his safety glasses are just not visible in the photo.
It'll be a lot easier to get through dental school with two good eyes! [8D]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Good point Jeff! I started dental school (many years ago!) and did not use safety glasses. After a chip of old filling flew off my handpiece (drill to patients [:D]) and hit me in the eye, leaving a nice red spot on the sclera, I got glasses and never touch a dental instrument without them. Of course now, I NEED them to see. [;)]

Texas Taco

They are hard to see but he does have safety glasses on, they have clear ear pieces that can barely be seen in the photo. Usually he will have a face shield on when turning. He had taken it off to sand the pen. He had also just commented before I took the picture that he wanted to pick up a back-up pair for when these get scratched he won't have to wait for a new pair.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Hemibee
<br />They are hard to see but he does have safety glasses on, they have clear ear pieces that can barely be seen in the photo. Usually he will have a face shield on when turning. He had taken it off to sand the pen. He had also just commented before I took the picture that he wanted to pick up a back-up pair for when these get scratched he won't have to wait for a new pair.
Tony

Good to hear he wears glasses! I always look for that because I had an eye injury when I was 7 while watching my dad turn. After that, my folks made me put them on as soon as I walked in the shop. A good habit I still have. (Today's glasses are way better looking and much more comfortable than what they had 40 years ago.)

If you'll send me his name and address by email, I'll send him a gift cert for CSUSA. Unfortunately, I don't have any gift certs for dental school!!

Hey Tony

I had two ww partners when my daughters where younger. Now that they are teenagers . . . I miss those days, enjoy them.

I know I sound like a broken record, but, wood dust can be toxic. Hope he wears some type of dust protection when sanding.

Texas Taco

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />Hey Tony

I had two ww partners when my daughters where younger. Now that they are teenagers . . . I miss those days, enjoy them.

I know I sound like a broken record, but, wood dust can be toxic. Hope he wears some type of dust protection when sanding.

Usually he does and I hadn't noticed he didn't have some protection on. I guess since he was wet sanding a piece of acrylic I didn't think about it. I always welcome safety reminders or information to make something safer. Feel free to point out anything you see around me or my shop.

Texas Taco

Originally posted by jeff
Good to hear he wears glasses! I always look for that because I had an eye injury when I was 7 while watching my dad turn. After that, my folks made me put them on as soon as I walked in the shop. A good habit I still have. (Today's glasses are way better looking and much more comfortable than what they had 40 years ago.)

If you'll send me his name and address by email, I'll send him a gift cert for CSUSA. Unfortunately, I don't have any gift certs for dental school!!

Jeff,
Thanks for the offer. Safety glasses are much better now than they were 40 years ago. I've seen a big change in them in the past 5 or so years. We had a problem with the newer ones coming up missing at work after the last couple of changes. The company's thoughts on that were that the employees must see their importance and the proof they liked them were that they were taking them home to protect their eyes during off the job activities. So in the long run the company would save money by not having employees injured off the job and missing work. My crew even got to where they would shut a job down if they saw anyone in the area without their safety glasses on. I haven't worked at that location since my transfer but I hear they are even more safety aware than they were before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom