tube insertion tool & Grand Piano kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monark88

Sorry about that last posting. Wrong title.
Hate to be a pest about this, but I cannot find the correct large size pen kit to fit the larger Grand Piano blanks from kallishan inlay blanks. I called Ken, as suggested here last week. He helped on the correct sized kit for the smaller tubes, but he had no idea for the larger piano blank.

There must be someone who, about 5-6 years ago that made at least one of the larger style. Sizes are as follows:
Clip end tube is 2" in length; bottom one is 2 1/4" length.
Top tube is .523 dia and bottom tube is .425 dia. Any help appreciated.

Also, I bought a nylon? tube insertion tool here about 6 years or so ago. If the gent is still making them, I need another 1 or 2.
thanks Russ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Russ - The outside dimensions (which those appear to be) probably are not going to be helpful. Inside with a "not larger than" interpretation may help.

Memory is that those were available for full sized Gentleman/Statesman. I think I made one on the then named "Emperor" set, There have been others labeled that in more recent years.

The old bushing and tubes spreadsheet from about 5 years back may be your best resource.

magpens

Arizona Silhouette has some of the large size piano blanks for sale. Barry Gross there might be able to help you match tubes to your blanks.

monark88

The dimensions are mic'd from the bushing's od. My wonderment now is, did I put the wrong bushings in the g. piano box.

But, have contacted all sellers and no one seems to know the size kit needed.

The problem with the gent kit is that the brass tubes are too short. The Grand Piano tubes are 2" & 2 1/4".. Seems I may have a shelf display.

jttheclockman

Sorry about that last posting. Wrong title.
Hate to be a pest about this, but I cannot find the correct large size pen kit to fit the larger Grand Piano blanks from kallishan inlay blanks. I called Ken, as suggested here last week. He helped on the correct sized kit for the smaller tubes, but he had no idea for the larger piano blank.

There must be someone who, about 5-6 years ago that made at least one of the larger style. Sizes are as follows:
Clip end tube is 2" in length; bottom one is 2 1/4" length.
Top tube is .523 dia and bottom tube is .425 dia. Any help appreciated.

Also, I bought a nylon? tube insertion tool here about 6 years or so ago. If the gent is still making them, I need another 1 or 2.
thanks Russ

Why don't you help us. Post a photo of the blanks you have and all the pieces because I am getting confused if these are tubed already or just have the blanks or just the tubes or both. Are these blanks for a 2 piece pen or are they for a Sierra Vista. I posted this the first time you asked. Those kits were made for the Sierra vista kit as well as the Statesman and the Gent. Show us the blanks. I am sure you can find some kit that is close to the measurements given It does not have to be exact. Maybe you can mix and match different kits. If the top fits one kit then make your own bottom and vice versa. Don't just sit the blanks on the shelf. Always different ways out.

The tube insertion tool is simple to make and can be made from a simple dowel taperd down.

Last edited:

monark88

First off, a picture is not going to show you anything more than the picture on Arizona S. website.
the kits you just mentioned also do not interface with the kits you mentioned.

Ken, of Kallishan couldn't remember what fit this size G. P. tubes/blanks. He apparently made various sizes over the years.

the tube insert tool is made of Nylon, not wood or steel. Glue, epoxy, etc will not stick to the shaft. I bought it here but don't remember who from.

thanks for your thoughts.

KenV

Russ

If diameter were internal, I went to the 2010 tubes and bushings tables and those pieces will work with the Junior series then sold by Craft Supply. The cap would be a bit more loose than I prefer but will make a good pen.

If you need that file send me an,e-mail

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I don't know who you might have gotten that insertion tool from, but they are very easy to make. Just get some 1/2"'or 3/4" diameter delrin rod, cut them to 6" or so length & turn between centers to whatever taper you want.

A 1-foot length of 3/4" rod is only $3.88 on Amazon.

monark88

I do have delrin and do NOT like to turn that stuff. I have nylon and will give that a try this week. Was just trying to cut down on sideways projects.

its_virgil

The piano kits from Ken are also made for the baron. I've made several baron pens using Ken's piano blanks. I'm confused too because the piano inlay kits do not come with tubes.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

jttheclockman

Well if we do not see any photos then not sure what to tell you. Good luck

As far as the insertion tube tool buy a drift pin in home depot or HF. It is metal. All glue will come off metal.

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/cart/graphics/00000001/LCPB1A.jpg

This was the older style. Is that what you have??? Here is it on a sierra and also mentions the Baron. www.penturners.org/forum/f13/sierra-piano-pen-16447/ So the kits we know that they were seen on are the Statesman, Gentleman Both full and JR, Baron, Sierra and Sierra Vista. Those blanks have changed over time as you can plainly see. Which one you have we do not know.

1_05-12_-_Keyboard_Pen_Open_-_small.jpg

Last edited:

monark88

I still fail to see why a pic of the blanks might help anyone have a clearer understanding of which kit might fit. I gave all dimensions of what might fit. KenV. sent me a 2010 cross reference of pen kits with sizes and I found out that an Emperor would fit.

" All glue will come off metal." Not from the metal ones I have, unless you soak in acetone. The nylon ones, just let the glue dry and "flick" it off.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

jttheclockman

I still fail to see why a pic of the blanks might help anyone have a clearer understanding of which kit might fit. I gave all dimensions of what might fit. KenV. sent me a 2010 cross reference of pen kits with sizes and I found out that an Emperor would fit.

" All glue will come off metal." Not from the metal ones I have, unless you soak in acetone. The nylon ones, just let the glue dry and "flick" it off.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

A photo would have told us if the tubes were inserted in the blanks and also as I had shown you there are various versions of that kit. The latest photo I shown was the very first ones Ken made. They were revised. Glad you found a kit to use and hope you post a photo of the finished pen when done.

As far as the tool goes to each his own I do not use them. Just tried to be helpful.:)

Top Bottom