Trinket Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
I noticed PSI has a new tank pen kit.
It seems they have a lot of these trinket type kits.
I find it difficult to comprehend people spending $20 for a kit that is this gaudy. Does anyone really buy these pens made from these style kits?
I can't imagine paying the $20 that the kit costs, but then having to factor in the cost of the blank and all of the consumables to make the pen, not including the time invested.

These pen kits that are themed, are very much like the OCC choppers, they aren't appealing to the masses, and are only interesting for the first couple.

Why not just make the classy looking kits that can be used by anyone and bought for any occasion?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

They are a fad. Someone is buying because someone is making huge money designing them. Their catalog gets bigger and bigger every time they put one out. Reminds me of the old Sears catalog. anything and everything. Buy a few and pass them out. help PSI out. I still can not wrap my head around all this gun stuff with all those kits so this kits fits right in that mentality. Make for a great pen stand competition entry. Have a toy soldier carrying the tank pen. Or a pen rack with a bunker and rifle pens and tank pens all around it. OK I have given out a few ideas for the next pen stand and pen box competition . Someone made an ammo box that can fit right in to.

I think the designer did not get any GI JO 's to play with when he grew up. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I agree with John completely. I bought some of their theme pens a while back. They get a look every now and then but still have them - no sales. Surprised they are still into that junk.

MTViper

My oldest son is an Army battalion commander in a unit with tanks and Bradleys. When the tank pen comes in, I'll buy the starter set of 3. I'll give one to my son, one to his CSM, and I'll keep one for grins. I doubt I'll ever order any more. I've made 4 Revolver pens, kept one, given one away, and will sell the other two. Ordered two more and already have one of them sold. Gun shows are a great place to sell bullet/gun related pens. I'll order a bunch of the .50 Cal bolt action pens when they come in to give to the usual suspects in the family. I expect I'll sell a few of those too.

These do sell in places where hunting and guns are a part of the culture. The bolt action and lever action pens are big sellers. A guy who is willing to shell out $400+ for a gun is not shy about shelling out $50 for a pen. If there wasn't a market for them, PSI and the others wouldn't bother selling them.

Akula

some of them look ok but the cost keeps me away

by the time everything is factored in, a fad pen gets out of most people price

give me clean design, high end finish and something that I would want to spend my time making

A wood "tank"...really?? I don't think so.

A resin "tank"? I guess a camo type blank could work.

Maybe a Damascus (pattern weld) blank would look ok, then there goes the price. Plus if I'm spending that much time on it, it's going on a nicer pen style.

mecompco

The gun-themed pens are about as far down the gimmick pen path as I will travel. Some of them look nice and work well. Last holiday season I couldn't make some of them fast enough to keep up with orders. I'll likely try the new 50 cals but I don't know about the tank thing--it it just fugly (if they had done something less over the top with the clip, I don't think it would be as hideous).

Regards,
Michael

BKind2Anmls

I think these type of kits focus on the kit itself and not on the beauty of the blank and the skill of the turner. The hard work we put on a pen appears as an afterthought or plays a supporting role to the hardware.

TonyL

I have done well selling the Princess, Bling, FHLove, and sculpted pen to adult women...they actually selected each from the catalogue. One of those women introduced me to local police department and they bought a ton on Bolt Actions. A few guys bought the SW Mesa (twist) and the Nautical. I hand them the catalogue (PSI and CSUSA) and they pick them out. Otherwise most of the sales are the JR Gent II series and the narrower sized Barons, and the like. I don't stock the "themed" kits, but someone usually picks one out. Maybe they like shopping or the pretty images in the catalogue...who knows?

Top Bottom