tree question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Hey all.

I've seen a lot of these trees around my neighborhood and I cannot seem to figure out what kind they are. The leaf looks like some kind of maple but the bark doesn't seem like it. Can anyone ID this leaf from the tree.

Thanks.
Dale

Attachments

• leaf.jpg
    leaf.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 167
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marmotjr

https://www.arborday.org/trees/whattree/

I didn't have enough info to answer the questions, you probably do. I know I know it (I had studied dendrology back in my park ranger days, but stuff like that is why I left the NRTI program), but I can't place it.

And as a side note..... my spell checker thinks dendrology should be demonology. Not sure what to make of that.

RKB

Red Maple...From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
<table class="infobox biota" style="text-align: left; width: 200px; font-size: 100%"> <tbody><tr> <th colspan="2" style="text-align: center; background-color: rgb(180,250,180)">Acer rubrum</th> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" style="text-align: center"> </td> </tr> <tr style="text-align: center; background-color: rgb(180,250,180)"> <th colspan="2"> </th> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">
220px-Status_TNC_G5.svg.png

Secure<small> (NatureServe)<sup id="cite_ref-natureserve_1-0" class="reference">[1]</sup></small>​
</td> </tr> <tr> <th colspan="2" style="text-align: center; background-color: rgb(180,250,180)">Scientific classification</th> </tr> <tr> <td>Kingdom:</td> <td>Plantae</td> </tr> <tr> <td>(unranked):</td> <td>Angiosperms</td> </tr> <tr> <td>(unranked):</td> <td>Eudicots</td> </tr> <tr> <td>(unranked):</td> <td>Rosids</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Order:</td> <td>Sapindales</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Family:</td> <td>Sapindaceae<sup id="cite_ref-2" class="reference">[2]</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Genus:</td> <td>Acer</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Species:</td> <td>A. rubrum</td> </tr> <tr> <th colspan="2" style="text-align: center; background-color: rgb(180,250,180)">Binomial name</th> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" style="text-align: center">Acer rubrum
<small>L. 1753</small></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" style="text-align: center"> </td> </tr> <tr> <th colspan="2" style="text-align: center; background-color: rgb(180,250,180)">Synonyms<sup id="cite_ref-3" class="reference">[3]</sup></th> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" style="text-align: left">
List[show]

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Acer rubrum (red maple, also known as swamp, water or soft maple) is one of the most common and widespread deciduous trees of eastern and central North America. The U.S. Forest service recognizes it as the most common species of tree in America.<sup id="cite_ref-4" class="reference">[4]</sup> The red maple ranges from southeastern Manitoba around the Lake of the Woods on the border with Ontario and Minnesota, east to Newfoundland, south to Florida, and southwest to eastern Texas. Many of its features, especially its leaves, are quite variable in form.

Dale Allen

Thank you Rod. That is it, a red maple. I was not aware there were variation that had between 3 and 5 leaf lobs. I have a red maple in my yard that has large 5 lobe leaves so I was not even thinking red maple.
Anyway, thanks all for your help.

Dale

Top Bottom