Trademarks and Penturning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
This is one of those topics that pops up frequently on the IAP. There are many conflicting opinions on what can and cannot be used when it comes to images, logos, trademarks, copyrighted material, even phrases. I recently stumbled across this article and thought it was worth sharing. It gives a pretty clear opinion about the use of materials bearing registered Trademarks, even if that material was legitimately purchased.

Michael Atkins - Seattle Trademark Lawyer - The First Sale Doctrine Protects the Right to Resell Genuine*Goods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

This sure does come up a lot. Yet I constantly see pens being sold with obvious infringements. Right now a bunch of blanks for sale on here that qualify.

Woodchipper

What if you buy a decal for a college or pro team at a local store and put it on a pen? It seems the royalties would have been paid or does the team double-dip on royalties.

chartle

hang-on-there-i-need-to-get-more-popcorn-meme-kill-yourself-guy-on-pop-corn-meme.jpg

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

chartle

What if you buy a decal for a college or pro team at a local store and put it on a pen? It seems the royalties would have been paid or does the team double-dip on royalties.

Pretty sure thats covered in the second article.

socdad

I had the opportunity to talk with Rob Cleveland, the Director of Trademark Permission & Protection, at an art show in Columbus last year. I showed him I made as a gift for my daughter with an OSU sticker, purchased at the Ohio State book store, cast under resin. He told me there was no problem making it as a gift, however if I planned to sell I would need to 1st apply for a license from his department. The cost for that license would be about $400 + 17% of each item sold ...

I ran into this on ETSY with 2 different bottle stoppers.... first was a green and yellow stopper (Spectraply "Dandelion") that I mentioned in my description to have the "John Deere" colors...(I live in a farm community and both of my west side neighbors use John Deere tractors and lawnmowers... natural association of the colors for me).. John Deere filed a complaint with ETSY and ETSY took down my listing and sent me notice of "intellectual property violation"... the second was another Spectraply "confetti", which I mentioned in my description that this was a "fiesta about to happen".... Fiesta china filed a complaint and ETSY took that listing down also....

I re-described the pieces with Spectraply's pattern names and re-listed... no repercussions yet. But I've also let all of my bottle stoppers expire on ETSY as they're slow sellers on line and even at $0.20 per listing, the cost can run up if you have to re-new the listing a number of times and I don't sell my stoppers for all that much.... they do better at the market in downtown Knoxville.

MRDucks2

Great point Chuck. If you made pens, for example, in NFL team colors you list them as "your favorite team colors" or even "football team colors" but as soon as you mention a team name or the NFL specifically, you could be violating trademark even if the same pen and colors could represent other teams and organizations.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Maybe

Trade marks do not necessarily apply to the entire country....for instance if you live in Alabama Red and White might be thought of as representing Alabama University but if you live in New York they might be considered as representing Cornell University.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
There was talk recently about The Ohio State University filing some sort of action against Oklahoma State University over the use of "OSU".

It is possible to find some military insignia in the public domain, but it is generally antiquated. The Marines offer a Hobbyist License for $30 per year that allows you to use their symbols as long as you follow their guidelines.

MRDucks2

Trade marks do not necessarily apply to the entire country....for instance if you live in Alabama Red and White might be thought of as representing Alabama University but if you live in New York they might be considered as representing Cornell University.

Which is why it is best to present the colors generically as "your favorite college team". If you mention the school, you have potentially tied it to a trademark infringement.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom