Toyota’s Tasty Wires

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

Last fall I purchased my very first new truck, a 2017 Tundra. With less than 2k miles, I had a service engine light. I opened the hood and found that there were some unwanted tenants, mice. I live in a suburban neighborhood that is fairly new and not too much green space, so we obviously have some rodents but it's not an issue I was too concerned about. After some research, it sounds like Toyota uses soy based plastics for various parts and wiring, which is particularly tasty to the rodents. Also, there is a nice little cubby hole under the air intake and on top of the engine that makes a perfect mouse home. Im assuming that Toyota won't cover it under warranty, maybe my insurance will, but what a pain. Looks like my first Toyota will probably be my last. Maybe I just got unlucky, but if you have a newer vehicle, especially a Toyota, take some preventative measures...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gregf

Depending on how widespread this problem is, I'm surprised there isn't a class action lawsuit in the works.

Dehn0045

Depending on how widespread this problem is, I'm surprised there isn't a class action lawsuit in the works.

There is one for Toyota, but basically amounts to a bunch of lawyers looking for a big payday, not counting on seeing anything meaningful

Dehn0045

That's not exclusive to Toyota. Most car makers have similar problems being reported. There are anti-rodent tapes on the market to combat the problem.

Yeah, from my research the anecdotal evidence says that Toyota is worse than others, but who knows. Definitely a reported issue with all. I think Honda started using the anti rodent tape, not sure about Toyota but guessing not based on my experience.

Talltim

I had a problem with squirrels eating through my fuel lines on corollas. I finally wrapped all of the lines in aluminum foil.

leehljp

Member Liaison
4 years ago, I helped in the rebuild of a rural church destroyed by a tornado. The county planning commission's interim inspector forced them to use conduit throughout the church (even though it was not legally required) because of field mice.

As to Toyota, I have a 2009 Camry Hybrid; average 33.8 mpg since the beginning; have 290,000 miles and people still can't believe it rides so well. If my auto's wiring were eaten by rodents, I would most certainly complain. I saw where Honda had a similar problem.

Last edited:

Dehn0045

Had the same doggone problem on a 1946 Case High-V. Wait, it was the cows trying to get minerals out of the old rubber on some of the wire once it began to oxidize. Ate some of their calves, sold others on the auction block. Showed them!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I'll do my best to kill the rodents, but I won't be eating any of them, that's a whole new level

Dehn0045

If my auto's wiring were eaten by rodents, I would most certainly complain. I saw where Honda had a similar problem.

I'll complain, but I have my doubts that they will be willing to keep me happy. Hoping that my insurance will cover it under comprehensive so it doesn't cut too deep into my shop budget. Then I just have to go to war with the rodents

Woodchipper

Check with the manufacturer and see if it is covered. Don't go to the local dealer- contact the district office of the manufacturer. Check also to see if there is a recall.
My great-uncle told of license plates in Illinois being made of soybean based plastic during WWII. They had to replace them like crazy after dogs developed a taste for them.

tbroye

I have had my Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Double cab for s16 years and no varmint problems except the time two wild turkeys decide to sit on the roof. We had mice and rat problem when we had a large pigeon problem and some people were feeding them. Mice and Rants love bird food.

WIDirt

Chevy used to do this too....

When I was in Colorado, I had a '87 Chevy Suburban. First vehicle my wife and I purchased together. It was used, but it was IDENTICAL in all but the painted rims, to an '87 Suburban my dad owned, so we dropped the cash. Drove it for years in AZ and NV before moving to Colorado in 2001, within a year, we were having issues with it and couldn't figure out the problem. Sometimes wouldn't start, sometimes missed real bad, etc.

Then, one day, I noticed a squirrel head under the thing while I was outside, and it didn't come out, so I ran over, popped the hood and found the little (*%^$^&( had built himself a nest just under the heater coil area. I immediately started ripping the nest out and found to my surprise, pieces of the wiring shielding mixed in.

Started exploring the wiring, and found that it had chewed the covering off about half the wiring under the truck, and behind the engine. My issues were coming from shorts when the wiring would move around. Turns out Chevy used something the squirrels liked. $1400 & a month later, I had a whole new wiring harness installed. 2 weeks after all that work, some ^%$*&%&^$ driving a load of trusses down E-470 at Smoky Hill side swiped me at 70 miles an hour, totaling the entire passenger side from the front bumper to the rear bumper.

Depressing....

WIDirt

Last edited:

MTViper

My wife and I were sick with colds/flu for the last 3 weeks and my 2016 Ram pickup was parked out front under the pecan trees and didn't move very often. Last Sunday the Check Engine light came on then went off. Didn't drive it again until Wed when it came on, stayed on, flashed, and ran rough. Took it to the shop on Thurs. $400 later, they'd cleaned out a squirrel nest and a bunch of pecans and replaced the wires to the fuel injectors. Now it's parked in my shop where it's in the way, but at least there are no squirrels in there except for me.

BeeAMaker

Sometimes manufactures just can't win. One reason the wire manufacture used soy for the insulation is in response to making things more Biodegradable and "earth friendly". As you can see, it brought up a whole new issue, that again, the manufacture catches heat for.

Wife and I have owned Toyota's for the past 25 years and never had an issue. In fact, my wife old 1995 Corolla is still on the road with over 200K miles. My brother-in-law who is a mechanic has seen the issue a few times, but is not any more common than any other issue with vehicles, and he has seen it with all makes, not just Toyota and Honda. The wire also does not need to be made of soy for them to eat it, so I am not convinced that it is the Soy that makes them chew it. If there is not a source of food, mice will eat anything.

I run a RV service and rebuild shop and I have seen it in RV's a dozen times or so in the past 12 years, and the wire in RV's is not soy based. However in this case they were chewing it for bedding. I have found some that bit into the wrong wire (110v) their skull was still stuck to the copper. It happens in houses as well.

I now drive a 2015 Tundra and wouldn't trade it for anything. I think I would contact Toyota if I were you, you might be surprised, it's still under warranty.

Dehn0045

I called Toyota, as I suspected it is not covered under the warranty since it "was not their fault". I put in my complaint and she said they would contact me if Toyota changes their policy or if they decide to offer compensation for owners that have this issue. She very politely told me "sorry bud, not our problem". Fair enough. Then took to the dealer for repair, final cost was $600, just one knock sensor needed replacing, but had to remove the air intake manifold to access it. It was covered under my comprehensive insurance, so only cost me $250 and shouldn't impact my insurance cost since it was no fault.

I will mention that my insurance was great. I use a broker, https://www.gooseheadinsurance.com, for my home and auto. Side note - they saved me loads of cash on my home owners, I highly recommend getting a quote from them. My auto is through Safeco (liberty mutual), everyone that I talked to was very nice and their communication through the whole process was great.

Anyway, the truck is back in the driveway, loaded up with mothballs for now. I've read that dichlorobenzene isn't too good for your health. I will be swapping out the mothballs with peppermint oil soaked cotton balls. I also found a spray called "rataway" that I will probably give a try. My worry is that the leftover urine and feces is like a tractor beam for mice. Hopefully this is the final chapter of this particular story...

Top Bottom