International Association of Penturners

International Association of Penturners (http://www.penturners.org/forum/)
-   Casual Conversation (http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/)
-   -   Toyota’s Tasty Wires (http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/toyota%92s-tasty-wires-153086/)

Dehn0045 02-03-2018 09:50 PM

Toyota’s Tasty Wires

Last fall I purchased my very first new truck, a 2017 Tundra. With less than 2k miles, I had a service engine light. I opened the hood and found that there were some unwanted tenants, mice. I live in a suburban neighborhood that is fairly new and not too much green space, so we obviously have some rodents but it’s not an issue I was too concerned about. After some research, it sounds like Toyota uses soy based plastics for various parts and wiring, which is particularly tasty to the rodents. Also, there is a nice little cubby hole under the air intake and on top of the engine that makes a perfect mouse home. Im assuming that Toyota won’t cover it under warranty, maybe my insurance will, but what a pain. Looks like my first Toyota will probably be my last. Maybe I just got unlucky, but if you have a newer vehicle, especially a Toyota, take some preventative measures...

Gregf 02-03-2018 10:07 PM

Depending on how widespread this problem is, I'm surprised there isn't a class action lawsuit in the works.

Rob_Mc 02-03-2018 10:11 PM

That's not exclusive to Toyota. Most car makers have similar problems being reported. There are anti-rodent tapes on the market to combat the problem.

Dehn0045 02-03-2018 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregf (Post 1965041)
Depending on how widespread this problem is, I'm surprised there isn't a class action lawsuit in the works.

There is one for Toyota, but basically amounts to a bunch of lawyers looking for a big payday, not counting on seeing anything meaningful

Dehn0045 02-03-2018 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob_Mc (Post 1965042)
That's not exclusive to Toyota. Most car makers have similar problems being reported. There are anti-rodent tapes on the market to combat the problem.

Yeah, from my research the anecdotal evidence says that Toyota is worse than others, but who knows. Definitely a reported issue with all. I think Honda started using the anti rodent tape, not sure about Toyota but guessing not based on my experience.

wouldentu2? 02-04-2018 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob_Mc (Post 1965042)

Is there an anti-rodent DVD available, my VHS machine is unreliable.

Talltim 02-04-2018 06:46 AM

I had a problem with squirrels eating through my fuel lines on corollas. I finally wrapped all of the lines in aluminum foil.

leehljp 02-04-2018 07:20 AM

4 years ago, I helped in the rebuild of a rural church destroyed by a tornado. The county planning commission's interim inspector forced them to use conduit throughout the church (even though it was not legally required) because of field mice.

As to Toyota, I have a 2009 Camry Hybrid; average 33.8 mpg since the beginning; have 290,000 miles and people still can't believe it rides so well. If my auto's wiring were eaten by rodents, I would most certainly complain. I saw where Honda had a similar problem.

MRDucks2 02-04-2018 08:20 AM

Had the same doggone problem on a 1946 Case High-V. Wait, it was the cows trying to get minerals out of the old rubber on some of the wire once it began to oxidize. Ate some of their calves, sold others on the auction block. Showed them!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Dehn0045 02-04-2018 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRDucks2 (Post 1965063)
Had the same doggone problem on a 1946 Case High-V. Wait, it was the cows trying to get minerals out of the old rubber on some of the wire once it began to oxidize. Ate some of their calves, sold others on the auction block. Showed them!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I'll do my best to kill the rodents, but I won't be eating any of them, that's a whole new level