Toxic wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

Nope, nu-uh. Not doin that. and without pics it didn't happen right? Slow death by gifted pepper mill and salad bowl. No one will know.:biggrin:

Haynie

Wow. Lots of info. Looks like what I will be using, except Cocobolo, should be alright. Unless I read it wrong.

StephenM

Manchineel (Hipomane Mancenella) The fruit is poisonous. The sap is poisonous. The leaves are poisonous to the extent that if you stand under a tree in the rain, you'll end up with blisters all over your skin. If the smoke from the burning wood gets in your eyes, you'll go blind. If the sap gets into an open wound, you'll die.

Other than that, it has nice wood not unlike mahogany.

xxShadowxx

only 1 person seems concerned with haynie intentions, and he seems a bit too happy to say do it quietly :cool: that's only slightly disturbing :biggrin:

back on topic, why stick to 1 wood? you can easily do some basic inlays, or straight up multiple types of wood for different parts, you should never rely on 1 thing, raise your chances of success, plus multiple woods can make it look better and might encourage use :biggrin:

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
looking at the list of woods, I can't use any of mine for fear of lose of hair, sight, death by taxes and boredom. Just to name a few

Great resource of information!

I'll have to take my chances! :cool:

widows son

Mimosa -- Turn it green, once it dries the saw dust is toxic. Wear a respirator or darn good dust mask. Beautiful wood BTW and nice to turn. Just be careful.

I have a friend who is also a wood turner that turns Poison Ivy. He cut a a vine that was about 6-8" in diameter and 10--15' long and more or less straight. Very pretty and it is sealed with several coats of poly. Don't know what he did about the the shavings and dust.

Top Bottom