Tough Question: How Young Is Too Young?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

We've got the "Youth Pen Making Contest" coming up next month as part of the 14th Birthday BASH. The question comes up from time to time: How Young Is Too Young? Here are my thoughts.

Getting young folks interested in turning is great. I wish I'd been introduced as a youth. I'm sure my skill set would be greatly enhanced. I turned several pens with my grandson when he was about 9 or 10. In my opinion 5"might" be a touch young. Generally speaking the attention span and motor-skills of someone that young are just starting to develop. Of course it varies from child to child. As the mentor it's ultimately up to you to decide. That said, there are some "adults" I would't trust with and electric toothbrush.<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I would recommend not using the micro tools. I have a set and use them often. They require close attention and skill and are designed for small, fine detail work or objects. A sharp 1" bowl gouge, 1" skew and parting tool would be a better choice. Large and easier to handle. Being sharp makes them much safer than being dull. Here's an article on the AAW website on "Tips for Teaching Young Turners".

All the safety equipment that an adult would use applies to a child at the lathe as well. Maybe more so. As adults, we know better and hopefully have a healthy respect for the hazards associated with turning. Children typically have no fear. As a mentor or teacher it's our job to keep them safe.

So, what are your thoughts, tips or experiences?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Vic.

First - The referenced article from AAW is excellent and I cannot think of any point I would disagree with (I read it through several times). Wonderful resource for both teaching younger turners, as well as older, but new turners - the suggestions are excellent.

So, I worked in the Child Care Center field for 26 years. Kids aged 6 week - 12 years. I spent most of my "Hands-On" time with the school-agers and summer camp children (age 6-12). For 16 of those years, 200+ kids and 40 teachers under me.

My experience agrees with the suggestions that you (Vic) and AAW outlined. My only additional observation is to pay attention to if the student is both LISTENING, and WILL FOLLOW DIRECTIONS.

I have had 9 year olds that will listen, follow directions, accept suggestions, and incorporate suggestions in further actions. (I.e., being safe!)

I have also had 12 year olds that would not listen, would not follow directions, and openly refused to consider suggestions.

In both cases, the potential skill level, attention span and fine/gross motor skills were similar. Openness and attitude determined the success and safety. Some kids I knew I could trust with more challenging tasks; others I spent many nights without sleep in fear of what they would attempt the next morning.

Just food for thought.

Oh since you asked... With the prerequisites of attention span, attitude, openness to suggestions, appropriate fine/gross motor skills, etc... age 10-12. Subject to a competent teacher who has dealt with kids (They are a different species!!! :biggrin:).

Kids - I loved; Parents - I understood; Employees - No Comment (I retired early!!!)

stonepecker

For SAFETY reasons.

I am bumping this posting.

Again someone ask how young the kids can be. In my opinion, there isn't any reason to endanger the kids. Don't push them into something that can bring regret. Let them say I want to do this......then make sure they have the knowledge and ability to do so.

We should all use our lathes with safety in mind first.

More4dan

I started my son out on the metal lathe turning with a fixed tool post to understand the dynamics before moving up to hand tools. We have to stress safety in our words and actions, every time we work. Be careful cutting corners where our experience may allow it, teaching others w/o the experience that it might be OK.

leehljp

Member Liaison
To me, actual age is not the issue, but maturity (listens, tries, follows, obeys) and physical dexterity. These qualities do not follow a specific age for each person but is determined by the instructor who over sees them.

Even this can be abused, as is the case of the parent and pilot who attempted to "train" and monitor a 7 year old flying from CA to NY that resulted in a plane crash in bad weather that none of them could handle.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Vic I am 15 and I turn, I would just put safety first. Wood is a lot easier to turn I do acrylics and those you need some skill and strength, I would not feel comfortable teaching anyone under 11. All I'm saying is Safety Safety Safety!
Alex, I have a 15 year old grandson Joe who has re-floored three rooms in his house. And removed and replaced some joists too, with his dad helping. His 3 older brothers do not have that gift, nor his dad (his dad follows what Joe says). He and I talk shop all day long when we are together. He can mentally see how things work and figure them out instantly. He is a respecter of tools and safety minded also.

Thanks for your input!

sbwertz

I started woodworking at my grandfather's knee when I was nine. That was when they moved into a house with a basement and grandpa could set up a real woodworking shop. Before that he worked out of an old garage, and it wasn't very "kid friendly" in there, but I was his "helper" from the time I was five years old. I lived with them for a year to go to kindergarten because the tiny town in Wyoming where we lived didn't have kindergarten in their school, and spent every summer with them until I was 17.

He never did wood turning, but I learned to use the bandsaw, drill press, hand planes, etc. I was never allowed to use the table saw, but used the bandsaw by myself at nine. I was taught tool and shop safety and the rules were strictly enforced!

There are adults out there I wouldn't trust with a puff of air let alone any tools, especially power tools. And on the other hand there are young adults out there, my youngest granddaughter, who are quite capable and with supervision, and reason, do quite well. Like others mentioned, it depends on the kids ability but more importantly, his/her mentors skill level.

TonyL

I don't know the answer to this, but I do know that no matter how careful, how sure, how attentive, how many times you check...accidents happen: whether riding a bike, turning, "plinking" with dad. And I have inadvertently caused many of them. Maybe it is a combination of child's desire, parents' consent, and insurance. I was always "uncomfortable" when teaching pre-teens at WW shows. Despite not taking many precautions when I turn alone; I am frightened when it comes to others - especially kids that aren't mine. I probably worry too much.

monophoto

Generally speaking the attention span and motor-skills of someone that young are just starting to develop. Of course it varies from child to child. As the mentor it's ultimately up to you to decide. That said, there are some "adults" I would't trust with and electric toothbrush.<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
This is very true.

I have two sons, both of whom are now in their 40's. The older could easily have mastered turning at the age of five. The younger is still too young!

Top Bottom