Totally off topic - computer related

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

53Jim

Before I went to WoodCraft today, my wife made me buy a new laptop.:( The question I have is...can I use a regular printer cable to use to transfer files from 1 computer to the new one? Or do I have to buy a special cable?

Thanks for any help I get.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Jim,
The problem with using the printer cable is that it won't have the right "ends" on it to connect the two computers (one end will be male, the other will be female). I'm pretty sure there's a USB cable that can do this for you, which shouldn't be too expensive, and you SHOULD be able to use it for other purposes. I'll see if I can dig up something.

JimGo

Yup. The USB cable is a "bridging" cable. IIRC, Windows XP includes software that makes that kind of transfer pretty easy.

rfreeouf

The USB Cable will work.

Another solution is if have a home network and both PC are sharing a broadand connection (DSL\Cable) and are connected to a router. Just share the hard drive on the old PC and connect with the new PC to the shared drive and transfer the data.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Jim,
I don't think you can use the printer cable because it is most likely a 'parallel' printer cable.
As far as I know, you can use a null-modem serial cable, if you happen to have one of those.
But the easiest, and fastest, way of moving data from one pc to another, is by far with a network connection.

WinXP come with a 'files/settings transfer wizard'.
Click 'Start', then 'All Programs', then 'Accessories', then 'System Tools', and then 'Files and Settings Transfer Wizard'.

There should be an explanation of the types of cables you can use, and how to use them once to start the wizard.

Fred in NC

USB cable would be the easiest, and probably cheapest and best solution.

You can also network two computers and copy files with an Enthernet connection, if both have Ethernet ports. You will need a reversing Ethernet cable that connects directly to each computer. No hub or switch needed for this, just the cable, and that is why it has to be a reversing cable.

Doghouse

I cannot fully answer due to affiliations, but if you have a parallel cable that is bi-directional yes you can transfer the files from one to the other. If you wish further advise please contact me offline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom