Tormek

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodwish

Anybody out there have much experience with the Tormek sharpening system? My filthy rich brother and snobby wife want to buy me "something" for my shop for Christmas but I really don't need much. I have a good slow speed grinder now that I use but the Tormek is a possibility to improve my sharpening skills. I have also started doing some more wood carving and the Tormek may actually be used more for that than just woodturning tools. Any users out there with some thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

I have one.

The Tormek is a great machine but I usually only use it on my skews. It allows you to make your tools razor sharp but it takes time to do it. I find it much faster to go to the slow speed grinder with the wolverine jig and if I need a razor sharp tool I'll use the Tormek.

If you have the complete unit (which goes for more than $800.00), you can sharpen almost anything in the house.

Dario

Originally posted by woodwish
<br />My filthy rich brother and snobby wife want to buy me "something" for my shop for Christmas but I really don't need much.

If they are really filthy rich...maybe a Oneway lathe or a Stubby maybe? LOL

Now to business...I don't own one (but wish I do) but read a lot of good reviews on it and the only negative thing I noted is that it is slow. You can do both...do the major grinding on your slow grinder and then move to the Tormek for the final touch up.

Most I know that owned one said they will buy it again and swear by it.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by woodwish
<br />Anybody out there have much experience with the Tormek sharpening system? My filthy rich brother and snobby wife want to buy me "something" for my shop for Christmas but I really don't need much. I have a good slow speed grinder now that I use but the Tormek is a possibility to improve my sharpening skills. I have also started doing some more wood carving and the Tormek may actually be used more for that than just woodturning tools. Any users out there with some thoughts?

How about a gift certificate to Gilmer Hardwoods? Their wood is totally awesome, I just can't get past the $100 minimum.

Tough luck with the relatives. If it is OK with everyone, we can swap and you can have one of my brothers who doesn't even speak to me, and I'll take the filthy rich brother. [:D][:D][:D][:D]

Fangar

I have the Tormek with the turners package. I think it was wayyyy too expensive, but it really is a great system. It has a little bit of a learning curve and is slow to use. But you really can make your tools sharper than they come from the factory (Incidentally, most tools need to be honed from the factory). Due to it's design, there is also very little tool loss, like with some of the higher speed grinders. A very simple to use Diamond truing jig is available (with the turner's package) that makes truing the wheel simple, which is an often overlooked issue.

As far as it being only for skews, I disagree. It has one attachment that makes the complex shape of a fingernail gouge simple to shape and hone. It just takes time to set it up properly.

If you don't need anything else for your shop right now (other tools or shop thingys), you will not be disappointed with the purchase.

If you get a chance, go to Tormek's website and download their tutorial. When you see it, you will be impressed. Also, the kit comes with a video that is fairly informative and demonstrates the proper use of each of the tools.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Fangar

Mikey

I just got a Tormek a month or so ago. After using it, I was very impressed. I don't have all the jigs yet, but I will be buying the jigs for my turning tools next. For now, I do turning tools by hand, and even then, they come out razor sharp and ready to cut just about anything. (the honing wheel and paste is worth some $$ by itself)[8D]

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Fangar
<br />.....As far as it being only for skews, I disagree.

I did not say it was only for skews. I said I usually only use it on my skews. I have bowl gouges that I only use for my last passes that are sharpened on the tormek.

I have found it to be faster to use my slow speed grinder because the tormek takes longer, that's all. This is my opinion, yours may differ.

Jim Boyd

I like mine cause my wife likes the sharp kitchen knives[:D] I also like it for planer and jointer knives. I use the wolverine for turning tools except skews and scrapers. Skews and scrapers use the disc sander.

woodbutcher

BUy something else. Band saw, chop saw, wolverine set, skews, gouges, planer , jointer, table saw, refrigerator w/yrs supply of beer, tires for the car,plane tickets to a woodturning event, ect. The Tormek is a nice tool but from a woodturning sense it is nearly worthless, simply in terms of time. I sharpen my carving tools with a leather strop and a polishing compound. My carving tools never see any part of a stone. I use the slow speed grinder w/ the wolverine system for my turning tools and touch them up w/ diamond stone paddles. Hope this helps,

Jim

Fangar

Originally posted by woodbutcher
<br />...The Tormek is a nice tool but from a woodturning sense it is nearly worthless, simply in terms of time ...

[:D]

I've never tried to turn anything with it... I usually use my lathe.

[;)]

How long does it take to use?

Fangar

Fangar

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />
Originally posted by Fangar
<br />.....As far as it being only for skews, I disagree.

I did not say it was only for skews. I said I usually only use it on my skews. I have bowl gouges that I only use for my last passes that are sharpened on the tormek.

Sorry about that Mudder. What I meant for that to read was it works great for all turning tools for me. I also misread what you wrote.

Cheers,

Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom