Topic disappear?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I tried to put this in Questions on the forum, but it says I'm UNDERPRIVELEGED!

So, I'll have to be CASUAL -- easier than being FORMAL, anyhow.

Here's the question: I hit "active topics" and a topic I KNOW exists is not in the list. Usually, I have entered on the thread recently (or I would not be looking for it). But, undaunted, I continue to "new posts", where it also is NOT present in the list.

Most recent example is DCBluesman's "Wish me luck". Completely gone in either method of looking for topics. SO, Did a search for DCBluesman, topic came up FIRST!!

I'll live through it, but this has happened many times before. Next time I come to the site, the topic has reappeared.

ANYONE ELSE seeing this happen???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
No, that does NOT work, for me.

But I will try it more often.

Right now the site is on it's best behavior, so all is going well.
(Probably afraid Jeff will beat it's little brains out!!!)

OKLAHOMAN

Ed, click quick links on the far right before log out then today's topics. It shows all post for today starting with the most recent.

thewishman

Thanks, Ed. I thought I was losing my mind - "I KNOW that topic should be here."

Your confirmation of my experience validated my thought. And yes, losing my mind is independent of this topic.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Whew....not me this time! From the title I thought I was going to get an a$$ chewing for moving or deleting a topic! :) Sorry, I can't answer your questions but am relieved that I did nothing this time!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
"New" posts are ones you have already seen. So if you read a topic in the list of new posts, then go back and get new posts again, it'll be gone. That's the way it's supposed to work. They are not "new" any more if you've read them. Once a new post is made, you should see the topic in the list again.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Yes, it has been that way for me from the beginning.

BUT the way around it is go to "Quick Links" and click on "Today's Posts." It will appear.

I did some research on this last month and found some hard to understand wording on the difference in "New Posts", "Active Topics" and "Today's Posts." It didn't make full sense to me but there is a difference. New Posts and Active Topics are not "real time" in showing up like "Today's Posts" are.

I can't find it now, but I remember I had to search hard to find the explanations.

leehljp

Member Liaison
"New" posts are ones you have already seen. So if you read a topic in the list of new posts, then go back and get new posts again, it'll be gone. That's the way it's supposed to work. They are not "new" any more if you've read them. Once a new post is made, you should see the topic in the list again.

Jeff,

On several occasions, I have posted to a topic/thread, which should (according to my understanding of what you said) make it show up in the "New" list again, but it will not. This is different from the original post but it seems related. It does not show up when we post a new response to an ongoing topic.

I have to go to "Quick Links -> Today's Posts" to see the thread at all. The WHOLE thread is missing from "New Posts" after a user, or some users (including me) post to a topic/thread.

To me, it seems like an "updating" cache problem between the software of this forum and certain computers. Which is at fault, I have no idea.

Last edited:

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Hank -

The software assumes that if you have posted a response you have read the thread, therefore it is no longer "new". If I post something, you will see it as new but I will not.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Hank -

The software assumes that if you have posted a response you have read the thread, therefore it is no longer "new". If I post something, you will see it as new but I will not.

Thanks for this. It is good to know that this is a feature and not a bug in the software. Seems like the bug is in the (my) mind. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

It takes a little getting used to, but we will survive and learn to love it too!

JEFF, Please don't take these posts as criticism aimed at you or your work. My questioning attitude is towards the point of - Is this a bug or something that I am missing. I appreciate your work and I am sure everyone else does too.

I created the first HTML online database for our organization 11 years ago over here, and quickly discovered that the daily maintenance was the "hard" part. I left that to the desk jockeys. :biggrin:

Your work is appreciated.

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it has been that way for me from the beginning.
I did some research on this last month and found some hard to understand wording on the difference in "New Posts", "Active Topics" and "Today's Posts." It didn't make full sense to me but there is a difference. New Posts and Active Topics are not "real time" in showing up like "Today's Posts" are.

I can't find it now, but I remember I had to search hard to find the explanations.

Actually there is some redundancy in the menu items.

The "New Posts" navbar item and the "New" selection on the "Active Topics" navbar item are exactly the same.

I intend to make a cleanup and rearrangement of the navbar to remove that and some other redundancies. I put the Active Topics menu to provide something similar to what we used to have.

Russianwolf

No, that does NOT work, for me.

But I will try it more often.

Right now the site is on it's best behavior, so all is going well.
(Probably afraid Jeff will beat it's little brains out!!!)

When you pull the "last day" under the "Active topics" you should see everything that's been updated (with a new post) since your last visit. Then there will be a separator and everything that hasn't been updated since your last visit. If you were the last person to post something under that thread, it will be in the second section (which when I logged in this morning was near the bottom of page two) so you may not see it right away. but it should be there.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks to all!!

I don't think I have to explain, but I will. Jeff, I am NOT complaining when I note these "foibles". I am a neophyte in computerland. USUALLY, a simple, "Look Ed, just do this!!!" is the appropriate answer.

In this case, the "links" and today's entries is JUST what I wanted.

Thanks again to everyone!!!!

Especially you, Chief!!!

Top Bottom