tools for turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete00

Howdy all

Question about turning tools.
Over in the corner of my workshop (the shack out back)i have a box of pointy things. Chisels, broken screwdrivers, punches etc.
If i grind and sharpen is there any reason i should not use any of these for turning.

Along the same line can i use hand carving tools on the lathe.
thanks.....pete

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Broken screwdrivers, chisels, punches, and the like may not be made from the best material for "remanufacture" as a turning tool. In some cases, as I understand it, the metal is too brittle to withstand the force from the lathe. As I understand it, this isn't usually true of the forces found when pen turning, but if you decide to branch out, you may have problems. Any way, I think they can shatter while in use, and the last thing you want is a hunk of razor-sharp metal flying through the air in your shop. It may not hit you, but it may take out another important piece of equipment!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I do.
to make straight balled pens after roughing I use a carpenters chisel filed the way I like it.
I also use acheap "chip carving set with the edges shrpened like wise.
Think about it.How fancy do you think the chisels were for the guy who made the first pole lath?
(E omitted on purpose since the beginnings of a spring lathe were a lath suspended from above)

KenV

You may get the opportunity to learn some heat treatment. At a meeting of the Seattle AAW chapter last spring I heard of a local person who made captive ring tools from sears screwdrivers.

High carbon steel tools and some stainless steel will sharpen to a fine edge, but generally the edge will not be as durable as high speed steel or cobalt tool steel. That is the biggest reason I do not use high carbon steel for production work. For small special tasks, anything that holds an edge will work, and should be tried.

Most screw drivers have fairly good steel and can be shaped and hardened. Be sure to temper them or the brittle nature can cause problem. Note that hot high speed steel dipped into water tends to make the steel brittle also.

And I do remember seeing captive rings on a closed end long pen, but not on a any of the kit pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom