Today's excitement

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
I was doing some framing, using an air gun that shoots what is called a Q25 staple. It'a a 15ga. staple that's 2.5" long.
I hit a knot, the gun bounced and double shot, with the second staple bypassing the lumber, and straight through the fingernail of my ring finger. Approximately 1" was protruding out of the opposite side of the finger.
Ooops!:redface:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Well , that`s one way to make sure the ring stays on your finger . The expression `I nailed it` would seem to be appropriate in this situation . Prefer a black fingernail from a hammer blow , myself . Ooopses frequently lead to ouches . I hope everyone who uses those things reads your post . I know you will be looking at knots from a new perspective from now on .

There really should be a warning in Owner`s manuals for those tools about the danger of Naughty Knotties

Last edited:

gimpy

I hope you seeked medical attention......................
My with shot in into the tip of my middle finger years ago and had to open me up to clean the oil out of the wound

jttheclockman

Yes nails and staples have an adhesive on them to keep them in a clip. Safety first We all get complacent working with air powered guns you never know when you will hit a knot or just hard grain in wood and the nail deviates just enough to cause damage. Safety glasses are a must.

Terredax

Banned
The knot was on the backside, so I didn't even know it was there. Perhaps if I would have built it backward, this wouldn't have happened.:tongue:
I didn't seek medical attention, it just went through the skin. It didn't hit the bone. There isn't any oils on the staples, just the adhesive. I'm scheduled for a tetanus shot tomorrow though.
I soaked it in Epsom salt for over an hour, and I will do it again, and put triple antibiotic on it.
It's a pretty shade of purple.

Oddly, it doesn't hurt at all... until I try to sleep.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Terredax

Banned
Yes nails and staples have an adhesive on them to keep them in a clip. Safety first We all get complacent working with air powered guns you never know when you will hit a knot or just hard grain in wood and the nail deviates just enough to cause damage. Safety glasses are a must.

Always have the safety glasses on.

This particular staple gun weighs 6 lbs, and has the same force as firing a 9mm handgun. When it double shoots, it happens so fast, that one can not react.
I feel fortunate, that it wasn't worse.

Charlie_W

Yikes!!! I hope it heals quickly.
Yes, I have had nails and staples deflect...luckily, not have punctured.

My dad used to say that on the farm if someone had a cut or wound, they would put turpentine on the patch and the injury would not get sore while healing.....don't know if it works or not.

WIDirt

Terradax,

I feel your pain! Intimately.

My first real job, (besides a newspaper route), was working on a construction crew. I was 15. My job was to staple down the chicken wire and foam that was used instead of expanded metal lath on stick construction homes. The Senco guns I used had an auto nose trigger and a finger trigger. The finger triggers were notorious for sticking after being used for many hours, and I had to clean them daily. (Most of you will cringe at the auto trigger mention. Understand that pulling the trigger between 30,000 and 50,000 times a day, isn't going to happen.) I was trained to set the nose of the gun down on my foot when setting the gun down to do other work, such as hammering in a staple that hit a knot, didn't drive all the way due to low air pressure, or any number of other scenarios. I always checked to make sure the finger trigger hadn't stuck prior to doing this.

On this particular day, it was getting close to quitting time, and sure enough, low pressure. I checked the trigger and set the gun down as I had for almost a year. I had never had the auto trigger stick, but this day it did. It fired that 2.5" staple right through my boot, foot, the matal shank in the sole of the boot, and into the plank.

You are right, it happens so fast, you don't even feel it. The reaction is to jump out of the way. Needless to say, that didn't happen, though I disticntly remember trying.....

My boss was standing on the next scaffold, and saw the whole thing. He had to cut the crown off the staple so I could step off of it. 2 xrays later, it was determined I also got very lucky, and broke no bones in my foot. The staple literally slid betwwen all those miscellaneous bones in my foot.

Processes at the company were changed immediately, as well as not buying Senco guns anymore. Senco actually stepped up and paid for all the bills, as well as my down time. I never used another gun from them, but I understand they actually redesigned the nose a couple years later.

I'll never forget that day. My cousin, whose hubby was my boss, reminds me of it everytime I see her......

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Always have the safety glasses on.

This particular staple gun weighs 6 lbs, and has the same force as firing a 9mm handgun. When it double shoots, it happens so fast, that one can not react.
I feel fortunate, that it wasn't worse.

These things happen even to the best. About 2 weeks ago the neighbor up the street was getting a roof put on their house. Being I am in the market for a new roof and some other work, I decided to walk over and get a card from them. As i got there one of the workers was coming down off a ladder and was pulling a nail out of his leg. He accidently shot himself in the leg as he was climbing the ladder and had the gun on his hip. They use those rapid fire guns where you hit the nose of the gun and it fires. They are suppose to be illegal now a days but they all bypass the safety on those so they go faster. He told me he has had this happen before and was making a joke of it but he told the other guy it went all the way in. He was on the phone with the owner to let them know. But he went right back to work. Guess he got checked later that day.

I have been on jobs being in the construction industry for 43 years, and have seen those power activated nail guns ( the ones with the small powder charges strip) misfire, seen them used on concrete walls and the nail hits a bluestone and diverts, seen a guy nail his foot to a floor and a few other mishaps. A dangerous tool for sure. You try to anticipate all bad scenarios but accidents happen. Be careful.

Even though I was a desk jockey, the last 10 years I worked, I worked for an export packing company... you would hear the guys in the yard putting boxes together, the guns sounded almost like a sewing machine... a steady rat-a-tat-tat... every so often one would put a nail through a hand or something... we used screw shank nails in the boxes so they were more complicated to just pull out...

Earlier it was mentioned about putting turpentine on wounds... never used turpentine, but in my youth I suspect I've stepped on more than my share of nails... in summer we were always barefoot and I remember jumping off a downed tree and landed on a board with a cluster of nails... my mom put me in a chair, poured kerosene in the wash pan and I soaked my foot for an hour... I figure over the years I've soaked in enough kerosene that you might be able to light me like a wick.

My first tetanus shot was in Navy boot camp at age 19.

When I was a kid, a long time ago, I was watching a crew put on a new roof using nail guns. While we were standing there we heard a blood curdling scream and saw a roofer had shot a nail through his shoe and foot. Nailed himself right to the roof. Of course all us kids thought that was hilarious and laughed our heads off. Fast forward 35 years and I now know how he felt after shooting myself with just a finishing nail. Worst part was I had to pull the brad nail out and then explain to my wife what I'd done. She just shook her head and laughed.

Terredax

Banned
In the case I think all would agree, no picture required to prove it really happened. Hope you get better soon.

Danny

It's funny that you mentioned that. I was thinking to myself today, that someone would say it.
Although, at the time, it never occurred to me, to take a photo. The initial reaction was...:eek:.

It doesn't hurt at all. Never throbbed during the night. It must have had something to do with the Epsom salt. It's slightly swollen, and a dark purple, but no pain. Not that I'm complaining.

I went for my shot today (took an hour and a half to get a shot:rolleyes:), and the NP looked at it, and said I was lucky. No antibiotics are necessary, and to keep it clean. I know it could have been worse, and I didn't even realize, that the other leg of the staple, made a nice clean cut down my middle finger.

I was also told the shot is only good for seven years now, instead of the ten it used to be.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Top Bottom