Thich CA glue fumes - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 15

Default Thich CA glue fumes

This is about the third time I have glued a bunch of blanks togethere but at first I thought it was seasonal allergies but from the research I did on thick CA glue was the fumes from it can cause a type of asthma problem that almost makes it hard to breathe feels like breathing through a straw and it causes a stuffy nose and bad coughing.

I guess its like a allergic reaction to the fumes but has anyone else experienced this.

It also kept me up the first time it happend maybe only had about 5 hours of sleep of a 24 hour day the next morning

Do also any new pen turners should might want to know about that if they use it because it is pretty dangerous glue.
penmaker134 is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Numerous people over the years here at IAP and probably many not on IAP have experienced the flu like symptoms. It will probably only get worse for you.

I turned for two years without a problem, then one day I got a sniffle. Two weeks later, I got what was like a sudden nasal drainage and flu like symptoms. Being the dummy that I was, I tried a third time to make a few pens a few weeks later and full fledge flu like symptoms including double vision.

After that, a Dust Collector immediately behind the lathe, a double filtered face mask.

I am told that ODERLESS CAs work just as well as regular CA and do not cause these symptoms. I haven't tried it yet, but I will soon.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 134

I use a fan or my dust extractor. Never smell the stuff.
Lin.
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2017, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 15

it just give me allergy symptons but def. gonna pick up a mask to glue tubes in for future only last about a week the first night is the worst cause it feels like breathing through a straw and it makes you not want to sleep.
penmaker134 is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-03-2017, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 4

CA fumes are bad news, I'm actually doing at the moment some Dwarf Banksia pod samples as an order and I'm getting plenty of those fumes that I avoid like a bad smell, I use a chemical mask but I have found that, one of the simplest and most effective ways to prevent to breath those fumes is to put a small fan on one side of your face so that the fumes that will climb up into your nostrils, is blown away to the side, preventing you from getting that bad stuff into your lungs.

Yes, loss of sleep is also one of my main reactions when I get some of it, I don't have (yet) any other nasty reaction to it and I can saw that I use gallons of the super thin CA per year, the soaking action of the super thin CA is what creates the smoke.

I have never used odourless CA however if it works well, I would suggest all of those people that know they throw a reaction, to start using the odourless stuff, better safer than sorry (and why I never follow my own advice...?)

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-03-2017, 10:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I had the cold like symptoms and switched to Bob Smith industries odorless CA at least 5 years ago and have done hundreds of CA pens and never had another problem. Try it you'll like it. I also never have any cracking with it. I only use the thin with craft foam as an applicator so little is wasted. This is important since you get half as much for twice as much.
wouldentu2? is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-03-2017, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I am not allergic to CA fumes (at least not yet), but I wear a organic vapor mask around applying it, and accelerator. I am not sure if it is protecting me, but I am just being cautious. I don't wear a mask when I an gluing tubes - I guess am not that cautious.

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-04-2017, 06:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 2

EVERYONE can and WILL have allergic reactions to CA fumes. Given enough exposure of it. Some are more sensitive than others. This is a very good case for ODORLESS CA, the problem is not there.

-- In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Design your own Polymer Clay Pen Blanks by Toni, Detailed 'CA' Article
edstreet is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-04-2017, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I don't get any nasal reactions to speak of with CA, but my eyes will water. Like others, I usually have a fan blowing across my work, or I step to the doorway and effectively apply the CA outside the shop.

One thing I have learned, and I learned this quickly, don't wear your TrendAirShield when applying CA... it sucks the fumes right into your enclosed face and right into your eyes and nose.

If you look for trouble, it will find you!
TellicoTurning is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-04-2017, 09:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I use the Rockler Vac. attachment for the lathe For me it works great for sanding and CA.Actualy all pen work. I use Fien Turbo I with filter ,Bag and Onieda cyclone system.
tonylumps is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads