Is there a Secret Society...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

Or a secret handshake or something that you need to know to get detailed Pen Kit Instructions? You know, just little non-important things like, oh say, TUBE LENGTHS??

OK, mini-frustration-rant over -- for now. :rolleyes:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Have you looked at the Bushings and Tubes tables in the library???

It is available as an Apple App, or for the rest of us, not in apple land as a PDF. I especially like the version with all 20 vendors/sources in one file.

Then for instructions,(I went and looked to be sure) under techniques; there is a pdf with links to the instructions for different vendors.

The "secret handshake" is titled Library.

P.S. Right hand side of the main page is the short cut to just what you are seeking

Last edited:

chartle

Or a secret handshake or something that you need to know to get detailed Pen Kit Instructions? You know, just little non-important things like, oh say, TUBE LENGTHS??

OK, mini-frustration-rant over -- for now. :rolleyes:

I there some particular reason for this post? :confused:

All kits that I have ever received have had tubes in the kit so knowing the tube length really isn't important. Maybe a little more info would help.

Now if its blank length most give you a rough idea whats needed.

gtriever

Thanks guys. I have that reference, printed and bound, and Wayne has done a really nice job of compiling it. I just don't think it would have been a burden on the Vendors to have included some of that info (like tube lengths) in their instructions so everything would be in one place. And today the frustration kind of caught up and bit me on the backside for some reason, so mini-rant on / mini-rant off...

Cliff, after 40 years as a Communications Electronics tech, reading blueprints and schematics, I'm used to having most dimensions defined rather than a "rough idea" or 'cut to the length of "x" and add a 16th'. For just one example, what happens if "x" is miscut, or if you're out of "x" and want/have to use bulk stock?

leehljp

Member Liaison
Cliff, after 40 years as a Communications Electronics tech, reading blueprints and schematics, I'm used to having most dimensions defined rather than a "rough idea" or 'cut to the length of "x" and add a 16th'. For just one example, what happens if "x" is miscut, or if you're out of "x" and want/have to use bulk stock?

If you are making your own custom pens, knowing the precise dimension certainly is necessary, but when the parts are provided in kit form, knowing the dimensions is not necessary, just put it together. Of the hundreds of thousands of pens made by members here over the years, the only ones to mention the dimensions such as tube length are those wanting to alter a kit, and they reference caliper measurements for that.

As to bulk stock, I have purchased numerous sizes in bulk for different reasons. I get my calipers out and measure for cutting. Never had a problem with that.

gtriever

I just check some of the PDF's at Penn State for example and they give you the tube size as far as length . Is this what you are referring too?

Penn State does do that, to their credit. Unfortunately some others don't. But since it appears that it's no big deal, we'll adapt and move on... :)

PenPal

The secret is to have and use a caliper if you want accuracy, most everyone I know allows a little on the length of the brass anyway. I use the calipers for the front, middle, top of each pen regardless, this after well over thirty years with pens.

Kind regards Peter.

Top Bottom