Thanksgiving -lest we forget

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaving tomorrow for our son's in Independence, KY.
Just wanted to share before I left
I thank God for your friendships, advice, and disagreements. That is what this nation is all about.
I thank God for a group of men and women who have become my extended family. Many of you have become my unmet friends.
I thank God for the men and women of our military & their families who have given beyond the call of duty that my family might enjoy their freedom.
I thank God that one day there will be no more war ad we will live in peace. May that day be soon.
I thank God for those of other nations who have found this forum and give us insights into their culture and country. If your country does not have a t-day, remember ours.

Have a great t-day on Thursday,

Words from Washington: Declaration from 1789
By George Washington

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me "to recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:"

Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enable to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted for civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand, at the city of New York, the 3d day of October, A.D. 1789.
-- G. Washington

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Amen and amen, Bill! Well said indeed! And remember, even though we as a nation have set one day of the year aside as a day of Thanksgiving, we should be doing so each and every day that we wake up to draw a breath! [;)] Afterall, we do have so much to be thankful for.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thank-you Pastor! I hope you don't mind if I cut and paste Washington's words for my outgoing Thanksgiving e-mails. This is the first time I have seen it, and I believe the younger people (everyone is younger than I lately) can benefit from a little reflection on our "founding fathers'" wisdom.

Thanks again,

Ed

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Pastor,

Two of the people who got my e-mail are local conservative talk show hosts-within 20 minutes, it made the air waves, has been on for over half an hour.

Americans need to think more about our roots.

Thank-you for finding a purpose for my existence today! (I was promised I would be dead within 24 hours about 15 years ago-every day I look for the reason they failed to deliver! God has a purpose for me, I just wait around to find it, day by day.)

Fred in NC

Pastor Bill, I join with you in everthing you said !!!

May we remember how this great US started, and be thankful to our Creator for so much that we enjoy in the US.

Blessings and best wishes for everyone here, and their families and friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom