Thanks Dario - Maple burl w/Turquoise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doghouse

Thanks Dario, for the beautiful piece of maple burl. There were a few bark inclusions so I had to figure out what to do with them.
I remembered that I had some turquoise so I ground it up and inlaid it. What a pain grinding turquoise is!
Now I just need to figure out how to price this one...

2006420133223_IMG_0993.jpg

2006420133238_IMG_0995.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I like it.[^]

Only thing I am wondering now is how it would have looked like without the torquise. Some nut (like me lol) prefer natural inclusions/holes [:D]. BTW, what are the dimensions and finish?

Thanks for sharing John.

Doghouse

it is 11X5, and it has only been oiled so far. I plan to buff it out tonight and fill any little spots that need it. Buff it a second time and wax it. There were some large voids, and the bark was very loose. I ca'ed the bark tight and went to filling it in.

Chit, I would rather not get into that discussion, but suffice to say it covers its costs.

woodwish

Really nice looking. Good work on your part and mother nature for creating that wood. I'm usually not a real fan of turquise filling but it works nicely for this piece. That's one of those bowls you price high enough it probably won't go away very fast, it would really draw attention to your turnings and then they can buy a cheaper one instead. Same reason the car dealers put the really nice out front so they can sell the ones on the back rows? [;)]

Dario

John,

Do you have coring tools?

Part reason why I (temporarily) stopped making bowls is that I can't bear to turn all those nice wood into shavings. I know the same is true with pens but it doesn't hurt as much...atleast I can get 120 or so pen blanks from the same sized blank you used for one bowl. [;)] LOL can you tell I am a miser? [:D]

Looking at this, I am tempted to pull out my gowl gouge once more.

Doghouse

Yes I have a kelton. Dave has it on loan right now, but I core most of my nicer stuff like this.

I still have 2 more pieces to turn then I am going to have to put another order in to you for more burl.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

rduncan

I also like using turquoise. If anyone would like to explore further, here is a link to a video production I've seen (Standard disclamer, I have no financial interest in it, etc).

http://www.handycraftmedia.com/woodturning.htm

Rick

Doghouse

Bill,
Not that I have a problem with Bill B, or AS. I like their products, but the difference in price is enough to make me grind my own. Bill sells turquoise as 303.84#, I purchase it at $75.00#. Yes I have to do a lot of work grinding it, but I almost have that down pat.

Doghouse

I used to have that problem, then changed the angle of my "Irish" grind and found a better angle to ride the bevel through the cut. Each person has a different angle that is comfortable for them. That and I have 2 bowl gouges and end up sharpening both of them at least once per bowl. So if you have only one, it could be 3-4 sharpenings per bowl. You only touch up the edge, not re-grind so it is very light and quick.

Skye

I have no idea the process for turning bowls, all I want to know is; Can you salvage the wood from the center of the blank or is it all turned to dust? [:(]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Using a bowl corer you can definitely get some useable wood out of the center of a piece you are usig for a bowl. Many bowl turners use them to get a series of progressively smaller blanks from one hunk of wood.

Dario

Skye,

That is what I was referring too when I asked if John have a coring tool. It is really neat since you can get multiple bowls out of one blank. Problem is, they are expensive and most will require more powerful lathe. Coring small blanks won't be worth it anyway [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom