Terminology, Acronyms

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JRK

Hi, sorry for the stupid question. I am new to this and I keep running across terminology the I don't understand.

Can someone explain to me these two??

BASH

PITH - I know this means Pen In The Hand, but I am in the dark about the meaning...

Thanks

jerry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WIDirt

JRK,

The BASH is not an acronym. IAP was set in February way back when, so we have a BASH to celebrate, I.E. PARTY!

PITH stands for Pen in the Hat (not hand). It is a trade done with other members who sign up, a random draw is done to put two members together. They each turn a pen, then trade with each other.

WIDirt

Hey there Jerry, I would imagine someone else can explain things better than I can, but I'll give it a go anyway.

The BASH is IAP's birthday celebration that goes on each February and consists of contests, puzzles, auctions and prizes.

PITH does stand for Pen In The Hand or Pen In The Hat and is usually(but not all the time anymore, we have a forum for individuals to trade now) a gathering of turners that exchange pens and blanks by mail to each other for fun.

Here is a .pdf file that you can look at that will give you answers to other acronyms that are regularly used here. You'll need a acrobat reader to read it.

Hope I answered your question and welcome to the site.

Todd answered it while I was typing out may responce, Thanks Todd. I'll leave it up just for the link to the acronym .pdf

Last edited:

TonyL

Does the library have a glossary of acronyms? "WTF" threw me when I started 5 years ago. I new this was a kid-friendly forum, but I had no idea what that stood for.

StanBrown

Does the library have a glossary of acronyms? "WTF" threw me when I started 5 years ago. I new this was a kid-friendly forum, but I had no idea what that stood for.

WTF threw me as well. I saw my granddaughters using it on Facebook so I thought, well, it can't be a bad thing. Then two things happened: I found out what it means and I cancelled my Facebook account.

JRK

Hey there Jerry, I would imagine someone else can explain things better than I can, but I'll give it a go anyway.

The BASH is IAP's birthday celebration that goes on each February and consists of contests, puzzles, auctions and prizes.

PITH does stand for Pen In The Hand or Pen In The Hat and is usually(but not all the time anymore, we have a forum for individuals to trade now) a gathering of turners that exchange pens and blanks by mail to each other for fun.

Here is a .pdf file that you can look at that will give you answers to other acronyms that are regularly used here. You'll need a acrobat reader to read it.

Hope I answered your question and welcome to the site.

Todd answered it while I was typing out may responce, Thanks Todd. I'll leave it up just for the link to the acronym .pdf

Thank you that is very helpful. The .pdf also clarified something else that I didn't understand.

Jerry

leehljp

Member Liaison
Jerry,

I don't like acronyms in general and it is a hindrance to good communication to new folks on most any forum. Abundant use of Acronyms "seem" to a new comer as "cliquish" or make them feel like an "outsider". I lived overseas for 26 years as an adult, so I know the feeling. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

However, repeatedly writing the same words over and over slows down the writing process and without the acronyms, I think many of us would just skip answering certain questions. If I had to write "super glue" or "cyanoacrylate" instead of just "CA" a dozen times in post, I probably would just skip writing. (and some wish I would. :biggrin: ) So Join in the fun and write some acronyms!

Last edited:

JRK

Jerry,

I don't like acronyms in general and it is a hindrance to good communication to new folks on most any forum. Abundant use of Acronyms "seem" to a new comer as "cliquish" or make them feel like an "outsider". I lived overseas for 26 years as an adult, so I know the feeling. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

However, repeatedly writing the same words over and over slows down the writing process and without the acronyms, I think many of us would just skip answering certain questions. If I had to write "super glue" or "cyanoacrylate" instead of just "CA" a dozen times in post, I probably would just skip writing. (and some wish I would. :biggrin: ) So Join in the fun and write some acronyms!

Ok, here is one that I coined. Nothing do with pen making.

I am a computer programmer. There seems to a habit of people at my workplace of purchasing the services of an outside vendor where they need data extracted from our systems and sent to the vendor, usually on a daily basis.

What is maddening is we are never consulted in advance. So these just seem to come out of thin air.

My acronym is HIIMIG. it stands for "Here It Is Make It Go".

I had one of these a few years ago where they didn't tell us about it until the day they needed the data. Unfortunately, it was an unusually complicated one, so they did not get it quickly.

Jerry

ajollydds

I have a patient that works in tech support and he shared a good one with me while trying to assess someone's problem:

I.D.TEN.T. >>>> ID10T.

Followed by PICNIC >>>
Problem In Chair, Not In Computer.

Not pen related, but funny still.

Reactions: JRK

JRK

I have a patient that works in tech support and he shared a good one with me while trying to assess someone's problem:

I.D.TEN.T. >>>> ID10T.

Followed by PICNIC >>>
Problem In Chair, Not In Computer.

Not pen related, but funny still.

PEBKAC - Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair.

Scott

Just a minor clarification that doesn't really matter. January 1 is the IAP's Birthday! Yay! The BASH is in February because holding it in January interfered with many members Christmas efforts. From somebody who was around then. ;-)

Scott.

WriteON

NABFOA...... not a big fan of acronyms. GGAW...... GetsGoofyAfterWhile.
SMHAP..... Shook my head at POTUS...
LFTPBNY.... Looking forward to Pith Bashing next year.
EHAGN........ Everyone have a great night.

I must be a hillbilly. I though PITH was a helmet or
Someone with 2 front teeth missing saying they're going to the bathroom
To take a pith.

Last edited:
Top Bottom