Tears of Joy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
I rode along with my brother while he was delivering a desk he made.
After the desk was delivered, he wanted to get a bite to eat.

As we were leaving after eating, I ran into the widow and her son of my friend Ray, the one I made the last pen for. I was really surprised, since I don't see her much anymore after she moved in with her son and his family.

We got caught up a little and since I carry my pen with me all of the time, I told her I wanted to show her something. I explained to her the story behind me making the pen, since she didn't know about me making one for Ray.
She had a smile during the story and once I pulled out the pen, she burst into tears when she saw it. She said they weren't tears of sadness, but of happiness and joy, because she knew the colors were Ray's favorites and she knew he would have loved the pen.

She asked me if I could make another one. I didn't know how to respond. I explained to her that I don't have the material to cast more blanks and the only kits I have, are already glued to other blanks.
I offered to make one of those blanks into a pen for her, but she said that she only wanted one for the sentiment and another pen wouldn't fulfill that.
I could sense that she was a little disappointed, so I'm torn. I had planned to keep this pen for myself, but since I'm unable to make another one like it, I would like to give it to her. I think it would mean as much to her as it does to me.
After considerable thought, I think I will surprise her with the pen this weekend.

Sorry for another long-winded post.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marnat3

That pen will always have a special place in your heart and if you gift it it will be twice as special.
Its very rare that we can touch others so deeply. I think its the right thing to do.

Last edited:

Terredax

Banned
Thank you for the reassurance.

I've invited her to lunch tomorrow and I will give her the pen then.
I know it will be as dear to her as it is to me. Giving the pen to her, is almost as good as giving it directly to Ray. I never expected her to want one since she hadn't shown much interest in the past, but I understand why she would want this particular pen.

I wish I had time to make a proper box for it.
I envision some kind of burl.

Terredax

Banned
We had to change our lunch plans to today, and I just got back a little bit ago.
After our lunch, I presented the pen to her. As she took it from me, her hands were noticeably shaky. She said she was surprised that I could make her a pen like mine, in such a short time when I didn't have the supplies for it.
I then told her, this is the same pen that I had shown her, and I saw how much it meant to her. That's when the water-works started again.

I might not have the pen, but I will always carry the feeling of her appreciation and I'm pleased that the new owner will cherish it.

I wish I was able to do this for someone each day.

Top Bottom