Taking this to the next level

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DigBaddy72

I wasn't sure where to post about this and it is a little of a brag post but I am so darn excited I needed to tell some fellow turners!

In 2012 I took a pen turning class at my local WoodCraft. I was immediately hooked and spent about $1200 on turning equipment. 3 years later and Calumet Woodworks is born! About a month ago, I donated 3 bolt action pens to a local cancer fundraiser. The organizer asked if I had business cards to go along with the pens. I didn't so my wife helped me whip up a design and I ordered 500. Well, because of that fundraiser I was asked if I would be interested in joining my local Chamber of Commerce. Thinking this would be a great networking opportunity, I agreed. Today was the meeting that made it official. Calumet Woodworks is now a member of my local Chamber and I was able to get about 40 pens in front of other local business owners (I brought a case along with examples). When the meeting was over, I was approached by the editor of the local paper and he asked if I would mind giving an interview and having a small article written about what I do, including some color photos! I was jacked! I agreed to it and am now waiting for the details. I am really excited about the possibilities this will create for my little shop. I want to thank everyone here who has helped me learn this craft. Calumet Woodworks wouldn't be what it is today without all the great feedback, library articles, and general discussions I have gotten from the IAP. Thank you all!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

larryc

Congratulations Keith.
I'm glad you have a more open-minded business group in your area.
After I had joined two local marketing groups in my area I was asked to leave because I was bringing in a product where the other members had only stocks, insurance and other non-tangible items to sell.

DigBaddy72

Congratulations Keith.
I'm glad you have a more open-minded business group in your area.
After I had joined two local marketing groups in my area I was asked to leave because I was bringing in a product where the other members had only stocks, insurance and other non-tangible items to sell.

Thanks Larry, sorry to hear about your negative experience. I live in a small community and they are very supportive of anyone with a business. I'll admit., it was a little awkward to be sitting at a table with owners of actual brick and mortar businesses, but once I showed them a sample of my pens, you could see the eyes light up and I even got a couple of business cards into the hands of some so there's that.

Top Bottom