Summer dilemma

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
As temps soar past the 100 degree mark I'm faced with a tough decision to make: Do I buy an evaporative cooler for my shop so I can continue turning through the summer, or do I close down like I did last year so I can buy several new tools I've been wanting. First world problems, right?

Of course I could do neither and save the money, but let's face it, that's not really an option, is it? :rolleyes:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Howdy Jan

I vote for the cooler, you'll use it every day. New tools would be nice, but would you use them every day? Maybe. But go for the comfort of having a cooler shop.

thawkins87

I've started contemplating one of these "chilled water vests" to stay cool in my garage shop during the summer... haven't pulled the trigger yet as they're relatively expensive and I have no idea how well they work..

Marko50

These really exist??

I've started contemplating one of these "chilled water vests" to stay cool in my garage shop during the summer... haven't pulled the trigger yet as they're relatively expensive and I have no idea how well they work..

...Wait...wha??? Do these really exist?? I'd like to know if they work too!

Curly

If you look for motor cycle cooling vests you'll find lots ranging from $40 to $60. Go through a safety supplier and they are 4 times or more. I wore them while working in a 30C plus machining plant. Without one after a 10 hour shift I was spent but with I was comfortable after I found them and bought my own. They work best if there is air movement so a decent fan blowing on you helps a lot if inside. I found them good for a couple summers before the water absorbing jell wasn't effective anymore. You are damp underneath but it is better than hot sweat. I don't know what they would be like to wear in a dusty shop. There are bandanas and hats that work on the same principals too.

MRDucks2

We have tried various versions of the vests for our guys when I worked in a steel mill.

The ones that all agreed worked the best had a 6-pack size cooler with a small battery operated pump built into the lid that would would circulate the water from ice in the cooler through the vest. The cumbersome part was the cooler. Some guys would plug into it, recycle the vest water, unplug and work for a while. Others would station the cooler where they could keep it plugged in. Varied by what you were doing.

Others preferred the vests with the water or gel tubes that you through in the freezer then inserted into sleeves in the vest. With extra tubes in the freezer to change out, this eliminated packing the cooler around but required you to stop and go to the freezer to change out tubes.

The very best were cooling suits hooked up to plant air. Except for dragging around a compressor hose.

Cost: ice vests $$, vest with cooler $$$, plant air suit $$$$

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

More4dan

What works in dry air climates don't all work in the humid South. Nothing evaporates at 90-100% humidity. My plan is a small oil cooler strapped to the front of my shop fan (squirrel cage style) and circulate cold water through it from a small ice chest. I've looked into an option for a motorcycle vest design. Tubes of material that freezes at 50-60 deg F would be idea. I was amazed at how difficult it has been to find a safe material (non flammable) with the right freezing point. Getting something that changes phase at the right temperature will keep the temperature very constant for a longer time.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

PatrickR

I worked in a shop that had an evaporation cooler. A huge fan that you hooked a water line to. Big, noisy, uses a lot of water, drives the RH way up and requires maintenance. For a wood shop AC would be my preference.

I vote for the cooler, you'll use it every day. New tools would be nice, but would you use them every day? Maybe. But go for the comfort of having a cooler shop.

You made a great point, which is why I'm sitting here with a cigar and the new cooler blowing!

What he^ said, plus you might make money by turning more pens.

I've thought about that. It's feasible that the work I'm able to do this summer with the cooler may sell well enough to make up for the cost of the unit.

The kids at the Chick Filet here that walk up to the cars to take the orders wear them. One would work, but I want to bring the ambient temp down so I can hook my ipad up to my shop stereo speakers and rock out! It gets way too hot even at 90F.

I worked in a shop that had an evaporation cooler. A huge fan that you hooked a water line to. Big, noisy, uses a lot of water, drives the RH way up and requires maintenance. For a wood shop AC would be my preference.

An a/c is my first choice but unfortunately it's not doable. I have no window for a unit and I've never tried a portable that could get the job done, and I've tried a few.

Thanks for the comments/advice. Obviously I bought one today. My shop is ~450sf. This unit is rated up to 850sf. It's currently 104F outside and a chilly 91F inside with the temp dropping every time I look at it. The unit has been running for just over 30min and it's starting to feel pretty nice in here, relatively speaking. I can see me getting a lot done with this thing, I'm glad I took the plunge. I'm sure it will be more efficient when I'm not starting it up at the hottest time of the day too.

Last edited:

Mr Vic

Do a bit of experimenting if you use CA. You have now introduced Humidity into your air which can effect the cure times. You may find it cures faster. Don't want to find out after you ruin the perfect piece you've slaved over.

Rounder

They make what is called a mini-split system that you don't need a window for. You just drill a hole in the wall to get your lines to the outside. I know you already have a cooler but just for the info. I have one in my shop and it works well.

Being in Arizona, when monsoon season hits, it won't be much good.... too much moisture already in the air.... go with the AC... less maintenance more cooling.

The year we lived in Tucson, we had dual cooling.... swamp coolers for when the humidity was really low and AC for during the monsoon season.

They make what is called a mini-split system that you don't need a window for. You just drill a hole in the wall to get your lines to the outside. I know you already have a cooler but just for the info. I have one in my shop and it works well.

Thanks for the info. We're expecting eain this weekend so I may look into that depending on how this unit works.

Being in Arizona, when monsoon season hits, it won't be much good.... too much moisture already in the air.... go with the AC... less maintenance more cooling. The year we lived in Tucson, we had dual cooling.... swamp coolers for when the humidity was really low and AC for during the monsoon season.

I've thought about that and should get a chance to see if it works at all this weekend. If it goes the way I think, it's back to the drawing board with an a/c unit. I like the idea of dual cooling though, this unit costs a lot less to run than an a/c with the exception of monsoon season, the climate is perfect for an evaporative cooler.

Jay, we were told by long time Arizonians to run the AC only during the monsoon and the swamp cooler the rest of the year... being from Houston, we loved the low humidity... and the swamp cooler kept the house nice and cool and comfortable. This did make for a more affordable cooling as the swamp cooler did use less power than the AC. Wish we could have stayed in AZ... loved the mountains and the desert, but was offered a job back in Houston at twice the money I was making in AZ, so back to the humidity.

Rounder

Thanks for the info. We're expecting eain this weekend so I may look into that depending on how this unit works.

Being in Arizona, when monsoon season hits, it won't be much good.... too much moisture already in the air.... go with the AC... less maintenance more cooling. The year we lived in Tucson, we had dual cooling.... swamp coolers for when the humidity was really low and AC for during the monsoon season.

I've thought about that and should get a chance to see if it works at all this weekend. If it goes the way I think, it's back to the drawing board with an a/c unit. I like the idea of dual cooling though, this unit costs a lot less to run than an a/c with the exception of monsoon season, the climate is perfect for an evaporative cooler.

I got mine from this website. Mine cools and heats. Had it about a year. Very pleased with it. https://www.highseer.com/16-seer-inverter-multi-split-ductless.html

sbwertz

Jay, we were told by long time Arizonians to run the AC only during the monsoon and the swamp cooler the rest of the year... being from Houston, we loved the low humidity... and the swamp cooler kept the house nice and cool and comfortable. This did make for a more affordable cooling as the swamp cooler did use less power than the AC. Wish we could have stayed in AZ... loved the mountains and the desert, but was offered a job back in Houston at twice the money I was making in AZ, so back to the humidity.

LOVE my swamp cooler. Keeps the house in the mid 70s even when it is 110 outside. Usually only run the AC for 6-8 weeks a year. Saves 200 dollars a month when I can run the evap. I have something called an EvapMod on mine. They aren't made any more, but I salvaged mine off the old cooler when we had to replace it and put it on the new one about 15 years ago. It lets the evap run efficiently up to a 70 degree dew point instead of crapping out at 55 degrees. The guy who invented and sold it died about 20 years ago, and the technology died with him, apparently.

Usually only have to run the AC from mid July through August at the most. Right now the temps are hovering between 109 and 110 and the humidity in the 8 percent range. House hasn't gone above 77 yet, and I've been sleeping under a light blanket at night because it gets down to 73 or so.

I have Sjogren's Syndrome....dry eyes, dry mouth. The higher humidity in the house makes me much more comfortable, and also reduces the static electricity, which is a big problem in this dry climate.

When I converted the carport to a shop, I put in a window specifically for a window air conditioner. It is right in front of my lathe, so it does double duty blowing fumes away, too. It won't cool the whole 22x22' shop if it is over 100 degrees outside, but it makes my turning corner comfortable, and I avoid turning in the hottest part of the day. If I have to turn for some special occasion and it is hot, I have a set of 4x8 styrofoam insulation sheets that are hinged with duct tape. I can stand them up around my turning area to contain the cool air right where I am working. They fold flat and stand against the wall when not in use.

Last edited:

sbwertz

There is a website called

darksky.com

that gives good forecasts for humidity and dewpoint for the area right at your address. It has been very accurate for us. If you click on the plus sign at the right of a date, then on the "more details" button, it gives a very thorough forecast including humidity and dewpoint with a slider for time of day. Great little website.

Last edited:

gtriever

We ran mini-splits at work for the areas that contained sensitive electronics. As long as people didn't keep fiddling with the controls they worked extremely well.

Top Bottom