Summer dilemma - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2018, 10:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Do a bit of experimenting if you use CA. You have now introduced Humidity into your air which can effect the cure times. You may find it cures faster. Don't want to find out after you ruin the perfect piece you've slaved over.

Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down.......

President Pikes Peak Woodturners - AAW Chapter
Mr Vic is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-12-2018, 07:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

They make what is called a mini-split system that you don't need a window for. You just drill a hole in the wall to get your lines to the outside. I know you already have a cooler but just for the info. I have one in my shop and it works well.

"WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THEIR GOVERNMENT, THERE IS TYRANNY. WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE, THERE IS LIBERTY." Thomas Jefferson

Self Pity. I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. D. H. Lawrence
Rounder is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-12-2018, 08:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Being in Arizona, when monsoon season hits, it won't be much good.... too much moisture already in the air.... go with the AC... less maintenance more cooling.

The year we lived in Tucson, we had dual cooling.... swamp coolers for when the humidity was really low and AC for during the monsoon season.

If you look for trouble, it will find you!
TellicoTurning is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder View Post
They make what is called a mini-split system that you don't need a window for. You just drill a hole in the wall to get your lines to the outside. I know you already have a cooler but just for the info. I have one in my shop and it works well.
Thanks for the info. Weíre expecting eain this weekend so I may look into that depending on how this unit works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellicoTurning View Post
Being in Arizona, when monsoon season hits, it won't be much good.... too much moisture already in the air.... go with the AC... less maintenance more cooling. The year we lived in Tucson, we had dual cooling.... swamp coolers for when the humidity was really low and AC for during the monsoon season.
Iíve thought about that and should get a chance to see if it works at all this weekend. If it goes the way I think, itís back to the drawing board with an a/c unit. I like the idea of dual cooling though, this unit costs a lot less to run than an a/c with the exception of monsoon season, the climate is perfect for an evaporative cooler.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

Jay, we were told by long time Arizonians to run the AC only during the monsoon and the swamp cooler the rest of the year... being from Houston, we loved the low humidity... and the swamp cooler kept the house nice and cool and comfortable. This did make for a more affordable cooling as the swamp cooler did use less power than the AC. Wish we could have stayed in AZ... loved the mountains and the desert, but was offered a job back in Houston at twice the money I was making in AZ, so back to the humidity.

If you look for trouble, it will find you!
TellicoTurning is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-13-2018, 08:21 AM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedTurner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder View Post
Thanks for the info. Weíre expecting eain this weekend so I may look into that depending on how this unit works.

Quote:
Being in Arizona, when monsoon season hits, it won't be much good.... too much moisture already in the air.... go with the AC... less maintenance more cooling. The year we lived in Tucson, we had dual cooling.... swamp coolers for when the humidity was really low and AC for during the monsoon season.
Iíve thought about that and should get a chance to see if it works at all this weekend. If it goes the way I think, itís back to the drawing board with an a/c unit. I like the idea of dual cooling though, this unit costs a lot less to run than an a/c with the exception of monsoon season, the climate is perfect for an evaporative cooler.

I got mine from this website. Mine cools and heats. Had it about a year. Very pleased with it. https://www.highseer.com/16-seer-inv...-ductless.html

"WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THEIR GOVERNMENT, THERE IS TYRANNY. WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE, THERE IS LIBERTY." Thomas Jefferson

Self Pity. I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. D. H. Lawrence
Rounder is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 25

Quote:
Jay, we were told by long time Arizonians to run the AC only during the monsoon and the swamp cooler the rest of the year... being from Houston, we loved the low humidity... and the swamp cooler kept the house nice and cool and comfortable. This did make for a more affordable cooling as the swamp cooler did use less power than the AC. Wish we could have stayed in AZ... loved the mountains and the desert, but was offered a job back in Houston at twice the money I was making in AZ, so back to the humidity.

LOVE my swamp cooler. Keeps the house in the mid 70s even when it is 110 outside. Usually only run the AC for 6-8 weeks a year. Saves 200 dollars a month when I can run the evap. I have something called an EvapMod on mine. They aren't made any more, but I salvaged mine off the old cooler when we had to replace it and put it on the new one about 15 years ago. It lets the evap run efficiently up to a 70 degree dew point instead of crapping out at 55 degrees. The guy who invented and sold it died about 20 years ago, and the technology died with him, apparently.

Usually only have to run the AC from mid July through August at the most. Right now the temps are hovering between 109 and 110 and the humidity in the 8 percent range. House hasn't gone above 77 yet, and I've been sleeping under a light blanket at night because it gets down to 73 or so.

I have Sjogren's Syndrome....dry eyes, dry mouth. The higher humidity in the house makes me much more comfortable, and also reduces the static electricity, which is a big problem in this dry climate.

When I converted the carport to a shop, I put in a window specifically for a window air conditioner. It is right in front of my lathe, so it does double duty blowing fumes away, too. It won't cool the whole 22x22' shop if it is over 100 degrees outside, but it makes my turning corner comfortable, and I avoid turning in the hottest part of the day. If I have to turn for some special occasion and it is hot, I have a set of 4x8 styrofoam insulation sheets that are hinged with duct tape. I can stand them up around my turning area to contain the cool air right where I am working. They fold flat and stand against the wall when not in use.

Last edited by sbwertz; 06-13-2018 at 10:15 AM.
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedTurner View Post
Thanks for the info. We’re expecting eain this weekend so I may look into that depending on how this unit works.

Quote:
I’ve thought about that and should get a chance to see if it works at all this weekend. If it goes the way I think, it’s back to the drawing board with an a/c unit. I like the idea of dual cooling though, this unit costs a lot less to run than an a/c with the exception of monsoon season, the climate is perfect for an evaporative cooler.
There is a website called

darksky.com

that gives good forecasts for humidity and dewpoint for the area right at your address. It has been very accurate for us. If you click on the plus sign at the right of a date, then on the "more details" button, it gives a very thorough forecast including humidity and dewpoint with a slider for time of day. Great little website.

Last edited by sbwertz; 06-13-2018 at 10:26 AM.
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #19 (permalink)

We ran mini-splits at work for the areas that contained sensitive electronics. As long as people didn't keep fiddling with the controls they worked extremely well.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads