suggestion for Niles ...........CSUSA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete00

Howdy Nils

I have a suggestion for you to bring up at your next meeting. My wife wont let me buy every single one of your pens so i can see how they compare to each other size wise. Something to do with dumb idea and being old and senile.

So i was wondering if in the future catalogs (or post it on web) you could do something like your pens and plating page. Instead of plating you would have different pens side by side.

It would be nice to see the largest to the smallest lined up. With a little description as to the size.

No need to take every pen, just a sampling to get a feel for how they compare to each other.

Of course the best thing would be to have a life size poster of all your pens. We could unroll it and hang it on a wall. :D:D:D

thanks....pete

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Great idea Pete! I believe a poster would be very handy and a great marketing aid!
Then under the pen picture the drill bit sizes, bushings, and tube sizer could be listed in the order the pens are shown. This way we can see something we like and just go to the chart and order everything we need lickity split!

You know what....I'm really surprised that this hasn't been done by someone yet![;)]

pete00

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />Great idea Pete! I believe a poster would be very handy and a great marketing aid!
Then under the pen picture the drill bit sizes, bushings, and tube sizer could be listed in the order the pens are shown. This way we can see something we like and just go to the chart and order everything we need lickity split!

You know what....I'm really surprised that this hasn't been done by someone yet![;)]

Actually yours is a great idea as well.....were on a roll..[:D]

Bob A

Outstanding idea. I know the first time I did a Gent/Statesman, even though I was told they were big, I was very surprized at the size of the pen.

Ron Mc

I agree AirportFF. That's a scary thing when something just makes so much sense. Especially when the consumers know how much sense it makes![;)]

angboy

I like the poster idea. But how about, in addition to that, Nils sends each of us a pen kit of each one they make? Of course we'd need each one in the different platings, and we'd need the bushings...

But seriously, I remember at some point someone posted a picture where they had lined up a bunch of pens and you could get a really good idea of the sizes, some of which I was surprised at and it was very helpful. Now for me to be not helpful- I have no idea who did it, how long ago it was, or how to find it. I'm never successful with using the search function. But maybe someone else will remember or the person who did it will see this.

wood-of-1kind

Hey didn't Fangar post a pic of different styles of pens side by side to gives us all an idea of size comparison? I'm certain that he did. Here's the proof below. Hope that you don't mind Fangar.

-Peter-

20064405558_compare.jpg
<br />

JimGo

I'm not Fangar, but...

L to R -
Polaris, Polaris, Jr. Gent (non-posting), Baron (posting), Jr. Gent (Posting), Jr. Statesman, Gent, Havana

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
2005820153845_Inventory%20-%20book%202%20-%20small.jpg
<br />

L to R -
Jr. Gent (posting), Jr. Gent (non-posting), Cigar, slimline, slimline, slimline, slimline, cigar, cigar
<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
20055614256_P7200001%20-%20cropped%20-%20small.jpg
<br />

I'll see what I can do about updating this with some of the other kits I now have, including the Emperor.

Ron Mc

Jim,
Can we get that in a poster format that includes all of the information for each kit?[;)]

JimGo

Ron,
Can you define "we", "poster format" and "all"? [:D]

I was actually toying with a similar idea to Pete's, hence the collection of kits. I want to do a custom poster, though, with the kits that I like from manufacturers I like, this way I can help guide the customer. I like your idea about the kit info...maybe we can put this on the back or on a second page, this way the customer doesn't see it.

Ron Mc

Jim,
For someone like myself that had several years of 7th grade English this is not a problem at all.
Let's take a close look at the words in question. Shall we?
First we have "we" If my memory serves me correctly this would mean many things. It could mean "we" being the plural for for "us" or as the french say,"we,we" it could mean "yes" or as the little ones say, "I need to go we we" it could mean...well you get the idea.
Now let's move on to "poster format". There happens to be multiple words and meanings here so please pay attention. We have "Po" as in the author Edger Allen Po" then we have "ster" as in "Do I need to ster things up in the forums?". We are also blessed with "for" which I find extremely obvious but will go ahead and share my thoughts. The term "for" is something used when we do something for our fellow turners that will help them master their craft. OR....as we say in the south, "What for you drinking my last beer?"
Now if I have this right we have "mat" "Mat" would be the one that really wants to see your poster! last but not least we have "all". HHMMMM.....We have the obvious down hear in Texas, "What y'all doing" but we also have, "hey everyone I'll make a poster for ALL of you!"[;)]

So in conclusion it looks like when I said "we", "poster format" and "all" I was actually saying,
"We We", As "Po" would do I would love to write and create a poster. I would love to "stir" "for" my fellow turners especially "Mat". Hey everyone I'll make a poster for "ALL" of y'"all"![:D][;)]

JimGo

LOL...

But you missed one...as Anthony will be quick to tell you, "for" (or at least a homophone thereof) has another connotation to golfers.
[:D]

Tea Clipper

But Seriously, if another company I won't mention can produce a marketing brochure (with free sample!) that has all of their products in it, plus a nice place for us to write in our prices, then why can't CS do that? Having the pen pics actual size in the brochure would be sweet too! I think a lot of people here would be interested in that. What do you say, Nils? [;)]

PenWorks

Originally posted by JimGo
<br /> as Anthony will be quick to tell you, "for" (or at least a homophone thereof) [:D]

What the hell you talking about [:0]
That word IS NOT in my golf vocabulary [:D]
And you better never say the "S" word.

wayneis

The catalog already tells you the size of the finished pen and gives the size drill bit needed. Unless you want the kit prices to go up then I think that this should be an In House project and posted here on the IAP home page.

Wayne

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Greg,

PSI, probably also available from Woodturningz.

They also used to have an Excel format price sheet you could customize. These are called "marketing materials" for the somewhat customer-challenged.

In the absence of such materials from the distributor, one can use one's computer to create YOUR selection. (Altho' I honestly NEVER have, and I did distribute PSI's for a while, until I realized I did not want to do some of their kits-even if ONE customer requested it.)

nilsatcraft

Sounds like you're all on to something here. I can see how this would be pretty useful for turners of all levels. In all honesty, the web end of this wouldn't be terribly difficult but the print side of it isn't likely to happen anytime soon. We've discussed the brochures in the past but we don't have any plans to make those in the near future. We offer over 45 different pens and letter openers and the inventory changes with almost every catalog. After our current mountain of projects dwindles a bit we can look at getting something like this put up on our website. We appreciate the good ideas and I'll let you know when we've got something to present to you regarding this.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nils,

An easier, and more likely to be accomplished, idea might be to put out a one-side "fact sheet" on each pen kit, with a pic in actual size, and perhaps, actual size of bushings and drill bit hole. These could then be downloaded and printed by the "penmaker". CSUSA could indicate what platings are available. Then the penmakers could put these together to formulate a catalog for "show use". CSUSA probably already has pics, may have to photo bushings and do some sizing to get it to fit on a letter-size piece of paper, but with today's color computer printers, there would be little cost to you and potentially a great service to those of us who do shows.

(Of course, if you make it easy, we are more likely to use YOUR kits, particularly if we are "photo-booth challlenged".)

Ron Mc

Nils and fellow pen turners,
I will boldly step up to the plate here and allow Nils to send me one of every kit type, all drill bits needed, as well as the appropriate bushings, and mandrell's.
I will then turn 1 pen of every type and photograph each completed pen for a writeup on each pen type. I will also go ahead and make a spread sheet that will include not only text but pictures as well.
Not only that I will lay all pens out and take a batch photo of them for comparison purposes.
I will not require any wood. I will donate both the wood and time to this project to assist all present and future turners out.

Nils go ahead and e-mail me and I'll provide you with my mailing address. Actually you already have it so feel free to send at your convenience.

Daniel

Ron,
I'm simply overwhelmed that you would sacrafice your time, talent and material for the benefit of this group. brings a tear to my eye, oh wait that's the laughing doing that.[}:)]

Rudy Vey

<br />Nils and fellow pen turners,
I will boldly step up to the plate here and allow Nils to send me one of every kit type, all drill bits needed, as well as the appropriate bushings, and mandrell's.
I will then turn 1 pen of every type and photograph each completed pen for a writeup on each pen type. I will also go ahead and make a spread sheet that will include not only text but pictures as well.
Not only that I will lay all pens out and take a batch photo of them for comparison purposes.
I will not require any wood. I will donate both the wood and time to this project to assist all present and future turners out.

Nils go ahead and e-mail me and I'll provide you with my mailing address. Actually you already have it so feel free to send at your convenience.

What a great idea, too bad I have not the time to do this[;)][:D]
But I recommend that you should get two kits of each pen, one for a test run and one for the final pictures. You should also put a ruler next to the pens in each picture. This could be then all stored in the library for reference purposes. Someone volunteering for Berea kits???

angboy

<br />Nils and fellow pen turners,

And hey Ron, isn't CSUSA the company that had those special edition pen kits out that cost something like $150? Since you're already doing all this work for the goodness of the members here, I certainly think those kits should be included in what Nils sends you! [;)][;)]

nilsatcraft

You got it Ron, just send a blank check to cover the 'Nils Processing Charge' (it could get expensive, ya know?) and I'll take care of that. I actually turned a lot of the pens for the current catalog and turning dozens of different pens is not too fun. Different drill bits, different blanks, different bushings, etc- it gets old fast and can be a pain to sort out. It wasn't all bad, though. [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom