Suar Wood Ever used?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rej19

Has anyone ever used Suar Wood (Monkeypod) for projects? I've come across a couple of pieces as shown in the photo recently. They are roughly 18" square by 6' long. They are actually sold as furniture. I'm interested in possible cutting them for use in smaller projects. Such as bandsaw boxes etc. I know the wood is a moist wood and must be dry. Just curious if anyone has used it much?

Attachments

• sauri.jpg
    sauri.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 274
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That is a stunning chunk of wood. But perhaps the beauty would be lost if cut into to small pieces?

Curly

If I had them I would cut them for bigger projects like furniture and make smaller pieces into bowls or boxes and then make pens from the offcuts that are too small for the bigger things. Other people see different ways of utilizing wood and go directly to cutting little things.

As to whether they make good pens. Just because it doesn't usually show up as pen blanks doesn't mean they wouldn't be nice, just that nobody has marketed them.

tomas

I got some Monkey Pod a while back and turned a bowl from it. I wasn't real happy with how it turned out. I experienced a great deal of tear-out and wasn't happy with the end result.

My $0.02.

Tomas

Curly

Ron you said they were sold as furniture. How much did they cost or did someone give them to you? There is 162 board feet in one of those and I'm curious to see what they cost per board foot as a comparison to what other woods cost. Thanks

Last edited:
Last edited:

tomtedesco

A friend of mine found a coffee table at a garage sale in Phoenix made from Monkey Pod. Knowing I was a wood junkie he bought it and brought it back to Colorado for me. Turned a few small bowls (for him) and some pens. Happy with results, still have a few blanks somewhere in the wood pile. Never even heard of Monkey Pod until then, I would use it again.

I was given a handful of monkey pod pen blanks by a friend, but they don't look anywhere near that nice. In fact, they're kind of boring. I may have to give one a go soon, peeling off the outer layer might expose some beauty.

rej19

Ron you said they were sold as furniture. How much did they cost or did someone give them to you? There is 162 board feet in one of those and I'm curious to see what they cost per board foot as a comparison to what other woods cost. Thanks

Quick google search netted me this: https://www.allmodern.com/Cole-and-...M8ItWJE_-3YOa9m-9WiDNIa6kskdp4ORoCEZYQAvD_BwE

At 800lbs you better have some friends to help ya cut that one up. :)

That is what it is. I believe this was a returned item so there is a significant discount on it.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well, I did finally take this huge hunk of wood and got it resawn. This stuff is heavy!

Didn't see this until today.

I did turn several pens with Monkey pod - going with my wife on a business trip to Brazil later this spring.

The Monkey Pod are the main section on pen #2 and #3. Open grain like Paduk/Mahohany/Oak. Easy to turn, but my blanks were not heavy, as has been mentioned in previous posts?? I did like them though.

View in Gallery

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Well, I did finally take this huge hunk of wood and got it resawn. This stuff is heavy!

Didn't see this until today.

I did turn several pens with Monkey pod - going with my wife on a business trip to Brazil later this spring.

The Monkey Pod are the main section on pen #2 and #3. Open grain like Paduk/Mahohany/Oak. Easy to turn, but my blanks were not heavy, as has been mentioned in previous posts?? I did like them though.

View in Gallery

Those are beauties!

Top Bottom