Strange place to buy wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete00

howdy

Saturday my wife asked if i wanted to go shopping with her to a Home Goods store about two hours away instead "playing in the garage" turning. Of course my reply was no way will i give up my turning day to run around shopping.

So while I was in the store, i looked down this isle, looked like a bunch of cutting boards but something didnt look right, they looked too big.

They had about a dozen of these boards, different colors and textures. Sticker says made in Phillipines. SO i picked this up. In hind site i should have taken a few more. I found another Home Goods store a few miles away, going to check it out.

There were a few different sizes but this one was about 2 inches thick 16 x17 or so. For $12.00 Its some sort of mahogany, but i love the look.

Dont know if you have a Home Goods store near you, but may be worth it to check it out.

2006123195918_DSC01118.jpg

2006123195938_DSC01119.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elody21

Pete, It could be a wood called Monkey Pod. It comes frome the Phillipines also. I'll have to check out our HomeGoods store. Thanks Alice

woodwish

I recently picked up some strange wood as scraps from a place that imports stone for countertops. A lot of it comes from South America so I have no idea what some of it is. Not exactly the greatest stuff I've turned but some of it is interesting, especially since it is free for the hauling.

pen-turners

Pete,
It's Monkey Pod. I have 3 huge trees in my yard. They are very messy trees and either are dropping sap, sticky leaves or pods year round!!!
It's real name is Pithecellobium saman or sometimes called the Mimosa tree overseas.
There are about 500 of these in my neighborhood so I always follow the tree trimmers around and collect bowl blanks and such.

pete00

chris
it 6am here east coast and no coffee yet, after looking at your post i couldnt figure out how you could have this tree in your back yard with USA listed under your name. YOu confused me until i had my coffee, then i looked at your profile. duh...[:p]

Should i try to get more of this, does it glue up ok, got any pictures of finished items.......thanks

Geographically chalanged pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom