Stores closing <RANT> - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2018, 04:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehljp View Post
The only thing I hate MORE than lousy service is non-uniformity in clothing and shoes that I have to box up, get a return order and send back.
LOL--when I read that the first thing that popped into my mind was DUST COLLECTION FITTINGS!!

earl
greenacres2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

I can’t even get a consistent 4” dust collector fitting between the different stores. 6” appears to be anywhere between 5.5 & 6.25, at least the 4” fittings only vary by about a quarter of an inch.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-05-2018, 06:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 1

earl, I can answer your statement about clothes that probably applies to shoes. When I lived in Queens, NY, our neighbor was a supervisor in a clothing factory. My mother asked him the same question. His reply was that a template is placed over a stack of fabric. Then it is marked with chalk. We know that chalk lines are not exactly precision marking. One person cuts in the center of the line, another cuts on the outside of the line, and still another cuts on the inside of the line. Then, when the fabric is sewn, you can get pretty much the same thing. The result could be one size difference in the finished product.
Your last part is why I don't buy clothes or shoes online.
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 18

I used to keep a list of stores & chains that went out of business around here, but after 50+ stores, I gave up.
We had a large indoor mall here until 15 years ago that had a Sears store on one end of it. Sears actually owned the property & the store that sat on it.
Well, they tore down the mall 15 years ago. The Sears store sat there, in the middle of the parking lot for 13 years, all by its self.

Sears couldn't take the hint, so the mall property owner dug a trench about 6' wide, and 3' deep all around the store. Nobody could get in or out of the store after that. After 2 years of this stupid looking store that nobody could shop at sat there, they finally took the hint & tore it down.

My lathes:

Floor Lathe
Bench top lathe

Herb G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-07-2018, 08:14 AM   #15 (permalink)

Stores have higher expenses than warehouses, but have to price items the same or lower to make sales. Therefore they have to pay employees less to make up the difference. So shoppers punish the stores for decreased service by buying online. Warehouse stock pickers don't have to have product knowledge or good interpersonal relations, so they are paid less than store employees. And pickers are more easily replaced by automation than store employees, so there are fewer jobs. Where does this end? Not in a good place.
donstephan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 25

I have rheumatoid arthritis and take two powerful immunosuppressants. They make me so susceptible to infection, that I HATE going into crowds. As a result virtually all my holiday shopping is done on line, and a lot of my everyday shopping as well. When I do have to go to a store, I try to do it when it won't be crowded. Otherwise I'm sick half the time. Airplanes are a real problem for me, too. Last couple of times I flew I took ZICAM lozenges and didn't get sick. Maybe they worked, maybe I was just lucky.

sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

I watched a business news segment a couple of days ago and the focus was on McDonalds - they are going to kiosk orders in stores BIG time. When I first stopped into a McDonalds (with one of my grandkids) that had a Kiosk two years ago, I tried it out. Being new, I didn't quite like the lack of personal interaction.

I have had the necessity of doing this several times over the past year in McDs without the kiosks and the service is terrible. The business segment covered the huge loss of jobs for entry level workers (high school - college students). The thrust was the increased minimum wage (and while they didn't mention it, it seemed implied - lack of service) was driving the move to kiosks.

I personally would not mind a higher minimum wage with decent service but lack of service will keep me away from a store.

Sharon, your needs and sentiments are exactly how my wife feels about shopping.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Last edited by leehljp; 06-09-2018 at 05:46 PM.
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-16-2018, 12:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

I always try to shop local when i can but with inflation seemingly increasing on a daily basis and being the sole breadwinner of the household we are forced to buy more and more online to stretch the budget. I have noticed recently that the online prices seem to be creeping higher as well.
MSpringer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-06-2018, 02:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

We lost our Sears a few years ago. If I order from them I have to pay crazy high shipping fees. So, I just don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Old 07-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Never really liked Sears anyway. Sears made more money from interest on their credit card than on sales of merchandise. Our local Ace Hardware store is now carrying Crapsman products. I'm with Hank. I'm hard to fit in clothes- I have to try them on. Shopped at an outlet mall in Lancaster, PA last week. Found my feet have changed up to a size nine! If they keep growing, I'm going to apply at the forest service to stomp out forest fires. A lot of restaurants are going to the kiosk at the order counter or table. Chili's has had this for a while. Olive Garden now has it. I hate going to a fast food restaurant and a teeny bopper playing with her hair or a guy staring off in space. Our local Dairy Queen has excellent service at the counter. Plus they have the Five Buck Lunch! We go there quite often.
Edit: Speepway gas stations have a kiosk to order food. It is easy and you know the order is entered correctly....unless you are the one making the mistake. BTW, I like their sandwiches.

Last edited by Woodchipper; 07-06-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Woodchipper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads