Stores closing <RANT> - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2018, 05:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 61

Default Stores closing <RANT>

Well, Another one bites the dust. It seems that all the local brick and mortar stores are closing. In the last 3 years, we have lost Office Depot, Office max, Kmart, Bon-ton is closing shortly. I'm sure Sears will be next.

Soon the only way to get something will be to order it online.

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. -- Stephen Grellet
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 1

People are shopping online more and more. My son orders all his Christmas stuff online. I don't like online unless it is something that I know is good quality and won't need to be returned. I rarely order online, though.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 94

Sears announced they are closing stores also, not all but some. My sears is carrying less and less. I have to order it online and request store pickup, there is no stock of any tools.
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2018, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 83

We lost all Sears in my area and the one left in a huge mall has down sized to 2 floors from 3 floors and was in there about a month ago looking for some tools and they did not even carry basic tools any more. We are losing manufacturing as well. Just went past a huge Mobile Chemical plant that I worked on many years ago when Mobile ONE oil was all the rage. They expanded and upgraded the plant putting a state of the art processing unit as well as its own substation. Kept my local electricians busy for many years. Now gone and I am sure they will put up some huge warehouse. That seems to be the thing to build these days. They have one across the street that use to be White Westinghouse. It was knocked down and now Amazon has one of the largest warehouses I ever seen. It is todays society that is driving the way. People are in such a hurry and shopping on line is one way to squeese more into a day. heck grocery shopping can be done on line now so no need for huge supermarkets any more either. Many of those have closed in my area such as Pathmark, A&P, and many others. We all see what Home Depot and Lowes did to the mom and pop hardware store.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I have a different perspective on this, after spending time shopping this weekend I told the wife, if I had a choice I would never step foot in another store and just order everything online so I don't have to deal with the lousy attitudes, incompetence and poor selection I seem to encounter. I have even ordered coffee, winter coats, motorcycle accessories, a bolt and I am about to order shoes (though that may not go so well) if it saves me the trouble of running from store to store and standing in line I am in. So I wont really miss most of the stores, I just don't like when they leave the mammoth stores abandoned for years to become a blite while someone builds a brand new strip mall right down the street.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by raar25 View Post
I have a different perspective on this, after spending time shopping this weekend I told the wife, if I had a choice I would never step foot in another store and just order everything online so I don't have to deal with the lousy attitudes, incompetence and poor selection I seem to encounter. I have even ordered coffee, winter coats, motorcycle accessories, a bolt and I am about to order shoes (though that may not go so well) if it saves me the trouble of running from store to store and standing in line I am in. So I wont really miss most of the stores, I just don't like when they leave the mammoth stores abandoned for years to become a blite while someone builds a brand new strip mall right down the street.
And when all the stores are gone, and all that is left is robotic automatated distribution centers, where do you suspose the Multitudes of people will work and earn the money required to live on? Or are you going to be ok with then having to foot the bill for govt subsidies for them to survive?

That is what it is coming to because, people dont want to interact or be patient with another human being..
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I like less expensive, but good quality, goods and services. It appears, at least in general, that online is a "better" way to deliver stuff less expensively. On a positive note, that closing/vacant real estate, may make it easier (lower rents) for entrepreneurs to use the space for something that lends itself to brick and mortar. I guess we will see.

Compared to the "help" that I dealt with in NYC, the folks where I live now are outstanding. No complaints from me.

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

When it comes to clothes, shoes and wearables, I prefer a store for one reason - to see if it fits. The only thing I hate MORE than lousy service is non-uniformity in clothing and shoes that I have to box up, get a return order and send back. IN some shoes I wear 11s, in others I wear 10.5s. Pants are similar. Shirts are usually OK but still I prefer to purchase them in store.

SERVICE:
Lousy service is taking over in middle income serving stores. We had a Crystal store open two years ago; it lasted 6 weeks and the corporate headquarters shut it down because of lousy service and failure to follow procedures in cooking. The staff had been through extensive training but as soon as the training was over, back to lousy service. Company shut it down. Building is still there and not used anymore. Company took down anything that would identify it as a "Crystal" burger.

To me, for the most part, poor service is lack of training and lack of understanding in cultural differences in generational poverty mindsets. If one really understands that, then training will account for that and motivation will focus in a different way. Most training is motivational, but not all motivational training works with different mindsets and world views.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Last edited by leehljp; 06-04-2018 at 11:24 AM.
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-04-2018, 03:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 0

The mix is changing but there will be stores to replace the needs from the ones that are closing. One day, even Walmart will be gone.

In the area I live, there are tons of help wanted signs. Makes it hard to run a business without people. If they give in and only hire whatís available they can end up with poor management/supervision which leads to poor worker attitudes and service.

Small, tightly manned stores and shops will fill the gaps online stores cannot and big stores will not.

When I lived North or Houston, my youngest daughter had problems finding entry level work, even when help was needed. People who did hire her later expressed their concerns; middle class white kids donít like to work. She has proven them wrong but is an exception. As a result the majority of her co-workers and friends are some shade of brown.

The economy is changing but there will be jobs. I am in management now but my fallback skill set is maintenance. Encouraged my son to follow a similar path for one simple reason: someone has to keep it all working and fix it when it breaks. But we are also running out of maintenance skills as a nation.

Hold on and see where it goes. It will eventually swing another direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-04-2018, 04:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehljp View Post
When it comes to clothes, shoes and wearables, I prefer a store for one reason - to see if it fits.

Hank; On my website "RANT" page, one of the rants is:

"XXL - an obscure Chinese ideogram applied to clothing. Closest English translation: Medium"

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. -- Stephen Grellet
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads