Stolen Credit Card - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 05:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 61

Many moons ago, Paypal offered a service. When paying for a charge, they would provide you a one-time number that could not be used more than once. But they stopped doing that.

I usually pay for PSI with my Paypal account.

I use CASH for all other in-person transactions

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. -- Stephen Grellet

Last edited by randyrls; 01-06-2018 at 05:30 PM.
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

we don't use them much still cash and a check writer, was a store last week took the check book out and the young not very intelligent girl said, "checks are so outdated" I said you right and guess who is now updated, blank stare, I was not ugly when I said you can restock the items that way you won't get outdated on where they go, was being bad.
Pen Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 1

My credit card has been hacked twice. Both times were in the Ft Worth area when I was shopping for woodturning stuff. Pretty sure it was at the motel where I stayed.

My credit card is with USAA, been with them for 40 years or so. In both cases, I got a call within a few hours of the suspicious charges. I guess they figured I couldn't pump gas in Texas and make an in person charge in England within a few minutes of each other. First they text and ask "did you make this charge?". If not, they call and you can go thru all the recent charges and they throw out the bad ones. Great folks to work with. They even FedEx'd me a new card overnight because I was leaving on a cruise 2 days later.
MTViper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2018, 10:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have my Chase card set to text me when ever a charge is made. Has come in handy. Chase also does a good job of spotting questionable charges. (No I don't buy electronics at 3 Am).
Old 01-07-2018, 11:54 AM   #15 (permalink)

Thumbs down Penn State and credit cards

I spent the whole fall trying to figure out who hacked my cards three times in 5 months. Only common factor was Penn State Ind. When I called them Teri couldn't have been less helpful. She blamed everyone but their employees. They were the only place I used the new card. So it could have not been anyplace else in the 30 days I had the card.
I am thinking about not ordering again. They did say that if you called in an order tell them that you got hacked thru their site and they will honor discounts. I just hate to have to get new cards all the time. Credit card company is great they never even question charges. I guess it does matter "what is in your wallet."
fairmgr is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-07-2018, 12:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmgr View Post
I spent the whole fall trying to figure out who hacked my cards three times in 5 months. Only common factor was Penn State Ind. When I called them Teri couldn't have been less helpful. She blamed everyone but their employees. They were the only place I used the new card. So it could have not been anyplace else in the 30 days I had the card.
I am thinking about not ordering again. They did say that if you called in an order tell them that you got hacked thru their site and they will honor discounts. I just hate to have to get new cards all the time. Credit card company is great they never even question charges. I guess it does matter "what is in your wallet."
Now that several people have mentioned this, it seems very likely that PSI is the culprit here after all. I placed an order last month that was canceled by PSI, and right after that, the charges started appearing on my account.
I bet they do have a dishonest employee who makes use of other people's credit cards for their gain.
I have had this card for 3 years now & never had any problems until I placed that order with PSI.
I wouldn't put it past them, let's just say that much.

My lathes:

Floor Lathe
Bench top lathe

Herb G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-07-2018, 07:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb G View Post
Now that several people have mentioned this, it seems very likely that PSI is the culprit here after all. I placed an order last month that was canceled by PSI, and right after that, the charges started appearing on my account.
I bet they do have a dishonest employee who makes use of other people's credit cards for their gain.
I have had this card for 3 years now & never had any problems until I placed that order with PSI.
I also replaced a card after shopping there. The person trying to use my card accidentally revealed his name & address (which I shared with the police). He wasn't anywhere near there. Personally, I think it's more likely their website is compromised, especially given the volume of complaints. Somebody's hacked the site and is selling the card numbers they steal.
cjester is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-07-2018, 07:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

My card has been compromised a few times now. The last time I didn't bother to report it because the crook was charging less than my wife.
dangre is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-07-2018, 10:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb G View Post

I also replaced a card after shopping there. The person trying to use my card accidentally revealed his name & address (which I shared with the police). He wasn't anywhere near there. Personally, I think it's more likely their website is compromised, especially given the volume of complaints. Somebody's hacked the site and is selling the card numbers they steal.

The people who use the stolen numbers can be anywhere. The person involved with stealing the numbers (if a person is involved) gets a flat fee per card. If the site is hacked, the card numbers are simply acquired. In both cases the stolen card numbers are ultimately sold to the end users online. They do not need to be anywhere near PSI and likely have no clue where, who or when the numbers were stolen.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-07-2018, 10:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

Lately I solely use PayPal for every purchase. PSI. CPO, etc. And after each purchase I delete the card number. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Current set up:
a pair of Jet 1015VS
Jet 1221VS
MidAmericaPool Taig professional pool cue repair lathe....that somehow gets involved with pen blanks.
WriteON is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads