Stolen Credit Card

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

Well, it's still in my wallet, but the number was stolen.
Probably by a skimmer at a local store somewhere. :mad:
I got an email alert, and canceled both the card & all the charges made on it.
Someone will be disappointed they won't be getting the $1200+ of stuff they ordered.

Fricking thieves. Oh well, at least I caught it before anything was shipped out.
They gets nothing.
Except maybe a trip to jail for grand larceny, wire fraud, interstate theft, and a few other charges they are facing.
They weren't too bright because they put in their home address when they placed the orders.
Bwahahaha.:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
My wife's debit card was recently compromised. I found nine $100 charges on our checking account on New Year's Day. I caught them while they were still in pending state, so my bank was able to immediately block the charges.

Woodster Will

I live in the UK and got a phone call from a nice woman in Canada one day asking if I'd ordered $1000 worth of T shirts to be delivered to an address in New York! She correctly guessed I hadn't and after I confirmed this she cancelled the order and suggested I cancel my card. How they got my card number is anyone's guess but it proved it's a global problem.

randyrls

They weren't too bright because they put in their home address when they placed the orders.
Bwahahaha.:biggrin:

Herb; Often the address will be an empty or vacate house. They show up and collect the package. OR the person is an unwitting dup. "Hello, excuse me I ordered something and accidentally mistyped my address, did you receive anything recently for Herb .....?"

PLUS; the credit card company often doesn't pursue it with the police. :mad:

Oh final thing; In Canada and Europe, when paying by credit card, they bring a small wireless device to your table to process the card right in front of you. It's too easy in the USA for a server or clerk to record the magnetic strip on your card and duplicate it onto a blank card. or record the numbers on the card.

Last edited:

WriteON

They gets nothing.
Except maybe a trip to jail

Sorry to hear. It's a bad inconvenience. Had this happen 2x. Fortunately we are not liable. As for jail...we need more...bigger and better...pack em in. Standing room only.

Nov 4th 1980 election night I lost my credits cards along with my wallet. Was not a hacker. It was a personal transfer. Got robbed. What hurt was they got caught...one not guilty by jury, The other 10 years probation. Anyway the memory lingers. I hate every piece of chit out there. Hackers, Skimmers, Robbers...may all of them get stuck in traffic with stomach cramps.

Last edited:

SCjim

Someone tried getting $1200 out of my debit card. My bank caught it because I didn't have $1200 in my account. If was the day before I got paid so if they did it a day latter they would have got the money.

Since then I use my credit cards more of the time and/or my PayPal for online purchases and pay the balance at months end.

Woodchipper

Had that happen in California. The bank called about three $100 ATM transactions in Fresno. Never been to Fresno. Recall that restaurants take your CC out of sight to make the sale. I think that is what happened to me. Easy to copy the number. About three years ago, I got a letter saying that my father had been turned down for a credit card as he didn't have a credit history. He died in 2002. I called the CC and told them. With all the scams now, we do not use a debit card! Too easy to wipe out your checking account!

MRDucks2

My old card was hacked by someone opening an Amazon account with it mid November. It's replacement was hacked Jan 2nd and used by a gamer. Only 5 common transactions occurred before the two hacks. Lowe's, Walmart, Local Restaurant (where you scan at the door when leaving), and two online transactions, one a cash transfer agency and the other was Penn State. Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

DavidD

My old card was hacked by someone opening an Amazon account with it mid November. It's replacement was hacked Jan 2nd and used by a gamer. Only 5 common transactions occurred before the two hacks. Lowe's, Walmart, Local Restaurant (where you scan at the door when leaving), and two online transactions, one a cash transfer agency and the other was Penn State. Interesting.

I had four different credit cards compromised through Penn State's website for over $5,000. My fault for not identifying they were the problem, but eventually figured it out when they were the ONLY transaction on a newly replaced card. I haven't made any purchases since this summer, but I would recommend using PayPal because the experience was really unpleasant. Filed a police report and had to work with my bank to track the fraudulent charges back to source.

It was very disappointing because one of their customer service representatives assured me the problem had been corrected, and then it happened again (for the fourth time) a month later!

Barnmb7117

I believe my debit card was compromise through Penn state web site. In October that is the only site I used my debit card at. Now I stopped using my debit card all together. Citi bank and Bank of America do offer a time use credit card for online purchases.

randyrls

Many moons ago, Paypal offered a service. When paying for a charge, they would provide you a one-time number that could not be used more than once. But they stopped doing that. :frown::frown:

I usually pay for PSI with my Paypal account.

I use CASH for all other in-person transactions

Last edited:

Pen Joe

we don't use them much still cash and a check writer, was a store last week took the check book out and the young not very intelligent girl said, "checks are so outdated" I said you right and guess who is now updated, blank stare, I was not ugly when I said you can restock the items that way you won't get outdated on where they go, was being bad.

MTViper

My credit card has been hacked twice. Both times were in the Ft Worth area when I was shopping for woodturning stuff. Pretty sure it was at the motel where I stayed.

My credit card is with USAA, been with them for 40 years or so. In both cases, I got a call within a few hours of the suspicious charges. I guess they figured I couldn't pump gas in Texas and make an in person charge in England within a few minutes of each other. First they text and ask "did you make this charge?". If not, they call and you can go thru all the recent charges and they throw out the bad ones. Great folks to work with. They even FedEx'd me a new card overnight because I was leaving on a cruise 2 days later.

Gregf

I have my Chase card set to text me when ever a charge is made. Has come in handy. Chase also does a good job of spotting questionable charges. (No I don't buy electronics at 3 Am).

fairmgr

Penn State and credit cards

I spent the whole fall trying to figure out who hacked my cards three times in 5 months. Only common factor was Penn State Ind. When I called them Teri couldn't have been less helpful. She blamed everyone but their employees. They were the only place I used the new card. So it could have not been anyplace else in the 30 days I had the card.
I am thinking about not ordering again. They did say that if you called in an order tell them that you got hacked thru their site and they will honor discounts. I just hate to have to get new cards all the time. Credit card company is great they never even question charges. I guess it does matter "what is in your wallet."

Herb G

I spent the whole fall trying to figure out who hacked my cards three times in 5 months. Only common factor was Penn State Ind. When I called them Teri couldn't have been less helpful. She blamed everyone but their employees. They were the only place I used the new card. So it could have not been anyplace else in the 30 days I had the card.
I am thinking about not ordering again. They did say that if you called in an order tell them that you got hacked thru their site and they will honor discounts. I just hate to have to get new cards all the time. Credit card company is great they never even question charges. I guess it does matter "what is in your wallet."

Now that several people have mentioned this, it seems very likely that PSI is the culprit here after all. I placed an order last month that was canceled by PSI, and right after that, the charges started appearing on my account.
I bet they do have a dishonest employee who makes use of other people's credit cards for their gain.
I have had this card for 3 years now & never had any problems until I placed that order with PSI.
I wouldn't put it past them, let's just say that much.

cjester

Now that several people have mentioned this, it seems very likely that PSI is the culprit here after all. I placed an order last month that was canceled by PSI, and right after that, the charges started appearing on my account.
I bet they do have a dishonest employee who makes use of other people's credit cards for their gain.
I have had this card for 3 years now & never had any problems until I placed that order with PSI.

I also replaced a card after shopping there. The person trying to use my card accidentally revealed his name & address (which I shared with the police). He wasn't anywhere near there. Personally, I think it's more likely their website is compromised, especially given the volume of complaints. Somebody's hacked the site and is selling the card numbers they steal.

MRDucks2

I also replaced a card after shopping there. The person trying to use my card accidentally revealed his name & address (which I shared with the police). He wasn't anywhere near there. Personally, I think it's more likely their website is compromised, especially given the volume of complaints. Somebody's hacked the site and is selling the card numbers they steal.

The people who use the stolen numbers can be anywhere. The person involved with stealing the numbers (if a person is involved) gets a flat fee per card. If the site is hacked, the card numbers are simply acquired. In both cases the stolen card numbers are ultimately sold to the end users online. They do not need to be anywhere near PSI and likely have no clue where, who or when the numbers were stolen.

WriteON

Lately I solely use PayPal for every purchase. PSI. CPO, etc. And after each purchase I delete the card number. Don't know if that makes a difference.

randyrls

Lately I solely use PayPal for every purchase. PSI. CPO, etc. And after each purchase I delete the card number. Don't know if that makes a difference.

How do you do that? I one time used a "single use" number offered by Paypal, but I thought they discontinued that service.

Barnmb7117

How do you do that? I one time used a "single use" number offered by Paypal, but I thought they discontinued that service.

I believe now only Citi Bank and Bank of America offer a one time number for some of there credit cards.

SJScher

Have had my credit card numbers stolen twice last year. each time caught by the Credit card company as orders they did not believe came from me. Both time were shortly after placing orders on PSI web site. Told them and they say the problem is no0w corrected.

WriteON

Go to Wallet...it'll have your card listed... you'll see REMOVE CARD some where ...click on that..and then click on DONE

Sorry to hear about this has happened to you. I had the same thing happen, they were arrested, and money was returned. They shipped the items to an Amazon drop box, luckily the area was covered by surveillance, and the police had clear shots of the suspects. My local Law Enforcement uses twitter to post pictures of the thief's.

Top Bottom