Stereotyping Woodworkers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodwish

Decided to drive up to Atlanta for The Woodworking Show at the convention center. When I pulled up to park I notice that the sign says there is a cheerleading competition, insurance seminar, and the WW show. Before I can ask what part of the building had the WW show the parking attendant told me the WW show was at the far end and use entrance D. So I was wondering- driving a pickup truck with toolbox, wearing a flannel shirt, and a beard - how did she know I was there for a WW show?

Of course after a parked in between all the other PU trucks (driving past all the mini-vans with cute little pom-poms painted on the windows), going inside to what looked like an Al convention with all the beards and flannel, I figured it out. ;) So why don't any of the smilies have beards? [8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

Hey Ray- even though the usual stereotype of a woodwoker is probably like you describe- it looks like Bev's count from the "what do you look like" thread disproved the beard stereotype! It would be interesting to see what the parking attendant would think if I had shown up, since I wouldn't fit the stereotype. I bet I'd be directed to the cheerleading competition (a little old to be a cheerleader myself- just a little)-I'd probably have been assumed to be a mom [:X] of a cheerleader which would be about as far from the truth as one could get!

Of course, at least one person had a stereotype impression of me at first that would have meant I'd need to wear the flannel! It is interesting to see what people's stereotypes are, isn't it? And it's always fun to disprove them! [:D][:D]

woodwish

I thought Bev's count was interesting also. Assuming that the photos are a random sampling of turners then maybe a majority of turners don't have beards, but I really think that the percentage of bearded turners far exceeds the average population. When I was at the AAW symposium in Orlando a while back I think it was the largest collection of long-haired, pony-tailed, bearded folks I had seen in one place since the early 70's. I like to think I am a very unique individual, but in appearance I seem to fit that same mold.

And for what it's worth, I helped coach our high school's cheerleading squad for about 8 years. Even won an NCA National Championship, but I much prefer to be retired from that today!

woodwish

Originally posted by fritzmccorkle
<br />Fritz never recommends flannel for turners. it's really hard to get the chips and dust out of it. (and that's all i know)

I don't wear flannel while turning, I put on a flannel shirt to cover the grubby t-shirt I was wearing while turning when I go out in public! [:D]

airrat

Here you go

2006130135042_albus.gif

2006130135059_barret.gif

2006130135110_beard.gif

2006130135122_ghost.gif

2006130135130_goatee.gif

2006130135141_hassidic.gif

and one for your competition

2006130135215_cheer.gif

choose your poison. [:D]

Status