Species ID, please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

Can anyone ID the rosewood species used in these grips? Thanks.

p938-rosewood-grip-set.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

If they are "antique" or were home made by someone who had some old stock laying around then it might be Brazilian Rosewood (Dalbergia nigra). But it might also be Kingwood, Cocobolo or one of the other Dalbergias that are often traded as Rosewoods. If you had some shavings and a view of the end grain you could figure it out.

For anything currently sold commercially, probably Indian Rosewood (Dalbergia latifolia or sissoo).

Ed

Rifleman1776

I doubt that it is Brazilian Rosewood as it was added to the CITES treaty in 1992 which bans it's exportation. I'm thinking this might be Indian Rosewood.

For years I corresponded with an American who lived in Peru and made his living exporting exotic woods. He once told me many South American woods have many names. Seems scientists like to name things after themselves and this practice has led to much confusion. Also, even with the laws limiting export of some exotics the illegal trade is huge and not much affected by little details like laws. Even more confusing is the fact that many tree species cannot be told from one another without scientific analysis. So, your grips could be almost anything. Even possibly a highly toxic wood. The best advice I can give is, don't eat them. ;-)

Top Bottom