Spare tire issue and resolution

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

My dad has a 2005 F-150 pickup that he got from one of my cousins. Fortunately for them, they never had a flat tire. I needed to lower the spare to do some work on the truck and discovered that Ford had put an anti theft fitting on a the tire hoist to prevent anyone from stealing the spare. To further complicate things they made 16 separate fittings to add further security. As if that was not enough, they either did not include the adapter that fits on the end of the jack handle or hid it in the truck so well that it is impossible to find. Ford has discontinued the production since f the anti theft adaptors. Needless to say, the spare tire is so secure that the truck owner could never use it in case of a flat. Fortunately, there are numerous you tube videos showing how remedy the problem. You need a 15 mm socket bolt extractor and numerous socket extensions. You use this to lower the tire, then lower the tire, remove the tire hoist, use a hammer and screwdriver to remove the anti theft fitting so that the jack handle can then be used to raise and lower the tire, and put everything back together sans the fitting. Ford has since decided that this was not one of their best decisions

Bolt extractor and worthless anti theft fitting
41E606CC-6507-4631-9BE6-D2BC2E5C96A1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I had a Plymouth Voyager van that I fooled with 45 minutes before I discovered there was a piece that prevented the spare from coming off while moving....if that would happen. The manual said nothing about it. My new Ford Ecosport doesn't have a spare tire. It has a 12V pump and a can of some thing like Fixaflat. It the tire is shredded, you are OOL.

Terredax

Banned
I had a Plymouth Voyager van that I fooled with 45 minutes before I discovered there was a piece that prevented the spare from coming off while moving....if that would happen. The manual said nothing about it. My new Ford Ecosport doesn't have a spare tire. It has a 12V pump and a can of some thing like Fixaflat. It the tire is shredded, you are OOL.

Kind of odd that they would supply a can of Fix-a-flat, since newer vehicles have a TPS system, and the Fix-a-flat will damage them. Maybe it's marketing scheme? Get a person to use the stuff, and charge them for a sensor repair, at a couple of hundred dollars each.

Of course you said it's a Ford, and the OP said his is a Ford. Ford always comes up with what they believe is a great idea, and it creates more problems than it's worth.

I've done more repairs on an Explorer, that has been owned for five years, as opposed to a GMC that has been owned for twenty years. The only repairs to the GMC, was a brake light switch, EGR valve, and a power brake booster. I can't remember all of the repairs done to the Explorer.

JimB

Kind of odd that they would supply a can of Fix-a-flat, since newer vehicles have a TPS system, and the Fix-a-flat will damage them. Maybe it's marketing scheme? Get a person to use the stuff, and charge them for a sensor repair, at a couple of hundred dollars each.

Of course you said it's a Ford, and the OP said his is a Ford. Ford always comes up with what they believe is a great idea, and it creates more problems than it's worth.

I've done more repairs on an Explorer, that has been owned for five years, as opposed to a GMC that has been owned for twenty years. The only repairs to the GMC, was a brake light switch, EGR valve, and a power brake booster. I can't remember all of the repairs done to the Explorer.

There are a number of cars out there today that don't come with spare tires and instead have a can like described to re-inflate the tire. When I bought my last 2 cars this was a factor in my decision as I wanted a spare not a can of fixaflate. For some cars you can upgrade to a spare.

Woodchipper

They eliminate the spare tire to save weight to keep the EPA happy. Worst was the Honda van that I traded. It had the PAX tires that were supposed to run flat for 50 miles. I had a flat. Ruined a fishing trip. Called the dealer- you have to buy the tire and wheel together. $275 for the tire and wheel, $100 to install it. I got cast wheels and real tires. The PAX tires are in my storage building. All I need to do is figure out how to get rid of them. No one wants them. Found there was a class action lawsuit against Honda several years ago because of the problems. BTW, the tire dealer I went to said the tires were only good for 32K-40K and were not good quality.
The Honda had the TPMS. I have used a tire gauge for over 50 years. My Ecosport doesn't have the TPMS. IMHO, useless!
JimB, no room for a spare. Thought of this.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Herb G, cars are like women, we all have our preferences and terms of service. I have had my best service and longevity from Ford and Chrysler products. FWIW, I had good luck with GM products but they didn't last. When they started to dollar me to death, I traded them- Olds, Cadillac and Pontiac.
Remember it was Ford who refused to take the government bailout several years ago.

sbwertz

I would not own another Ford if they gave me a brand new one in a big shiny bow.

:mad:

I LOVED my 2009 Focus. 40 mpg highway, 32 city. Only reason I replaced it was because my husband's scooter wouldn't fit through the narrow trunk lid and had to be put in through the rear doors. (Comes apart and stows in the trunk.) Bought a 2016 Nisson Rogue. Love the Rogue, but still miss my little red Focus.

Top Bottom